LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 8:26 pm 

I've recently come across a program, and accompanying hobby, that-in theory-could be applied to making various fiberglass parts for a Locost, or an alternative way to make a mold for a part.

Enter: Pepakura(or Papercraft)

It's basically a way to make a 3D, hands-on paper model from a 3D model on your computer. Make a 3D model in a program like AutoCAD, etc... import into the Pepakura designer, and it turns it into a 2D template that you print out, cut out, fold, and glue together to make your 3D model.

What makes me think it could be a possible tool in the Locost world is what can be done after you have assembled your 3D model. A lot of pepakura hobbyists take it to the next level. They use Fiberglass or epoxy resins to reinforce their models, followed by fiberglassing-some(more financially endowed) of the pepakura community have even used Carbon Fiber to reinforce, and then they use Bondo on the outside to sand and smooth to their liking. There are some amazing pieces(mostly Iron Man helmets, or Star Wars helmets) that have been made this way.

Not sure what all people would use it to make as far as parts for their Locosts, but something like...cup holders... comes to mind. :P

This is a link to the pepakura designer software. It has a price of $38 USD, which isn't bad for what it does.

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

There are plenty of youtube videos of people who have documented their projects if you are interested in seeing what it's about. One I recommend is this for his attention to detail as well as instruction https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 96B86684A9

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 8:59 pm 

Very interesting. I may be trying something similar to that when I enlarge my hood scoop. Although I will be using a different CAD.................... Cardboard assisted design!!!!

PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 8:05 am 

Any idea how large these pieces can be made using this software?

PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 8:52 am 

Cool!

Someone here has to buy it, import their sketchup models and "make" their Locost in paper.

Don't forget to post the PDF printout here for others to build your vision

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 5:22 pm 

Two decades ago I bought the plans for an RC boat. The plan was glued to single layer cardboard and then folded or cut out depending. CA glue was used to stick it all together. Then you resined it followed by several layers of 2 oz. cloth & resin. As I wanted a "Rogue River Boat" my plan was .03" racecar interior aluminum with heavy fillets of J-B Weld.

PostPosted: August 6, 2016, 11:07 am 

ntsqd wrote:
As I wanted a "Rogue River Boat" my plan was .03" racecar interior aluminum with heavy fillets of J-B Weld.
Sounds like a boat my friend made back in high-school. Framed in welded conduit and skinned in HVAC duct sheet metal with soldered seams. Hmmmmm, I never thought about that sounds a lot like what we do today with out Locosts.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 6, 2016, 2:09 pm 

I would like to try that.
I built a design project kayak in college to see how light it could be done. 1/2 aluminum tubing covered with canvas and a thin coat of epoxie resin. It weighed 18 pounds with the rudder . I was testing it on the Neosho river in Flood stage (easy to get into the water on a shallow still flood plain). It worked so I was paddling the Main Stream when a highway patrolman spotted me from the bridge. He was really pissed and yelling. Said he did not want to spend his week dragging the river for my body after one of the floating logs I was dodging took me out. That ended fun and the test.
Gale

PostPosted: August 6, 2016, 2:57 pm 

Take a look at this: http://www.clcboats.com strips of plywood tied with copper wire and then epoxied.
My brother is building one of there boats. The teardrop like travel trailer is really cool although the trailer they put it on was pretty lame.