LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 23, 2018, 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: July 10, 2010, 9:27 am 
Offline
Automotive Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: December 22, 2006, 2:05 pm
Posts: 5696
Linseed oil. It is cheap at $30 or so per gallon at Lowes or Home Depot.
Boiled linseed oil has additives that speed the drying process from weeks to hours.
Do not eat it.

_________________
MV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: July 11, 2010, 3:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 12, 2008, 6:29 am
Posts: 3537
Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Boiled linseed oil has additives that speed the drying process from weeks to hours.
Do not eat it.


NOW you tell me!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: July 11, 2010, 9:22 am 
Offline
Automotive Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: December 22, 2006, 2:05 pm
Posts: 5696
:lol: Yeah, I know nobody would eat it. It probably stinks too. It is supposed to be good for you except for those darn additives. Yum.

_________________
MV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: July 15, 2010, 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 18, 2009, 10:10 am
Posts: 116
about that foam- anyone know if it might absorb moisture?

you an always get galvanized tube and spray the joints with galva-brite after you weld them :wink:

If you want to fill the frame with something, why not cut holes in the pipes at the joints so you can have flow between them?

_________________
Jest another locostusa lurker... for now


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: July 16, 2010, 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: January 24, 2009, 1:33 pm
Posts: 278
Location: St.Thomas Ontario
knickly wrote:
about that foam- anyone know if it might absorb moisture?

you an always get galvanized tube and spray the joints with galva-brite after you weld them :wink:

If you want to fill the frame with something, why not cut holes in the pipes at the joints so you can have flow between them?


Unless you find a foam that specifically states 'water proof' it will soak up moisture and hold it against the tubes, also it's highly flammable, which makes welding tricky.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: July 16, 2010, 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19, 2009, 12:33 pm
Posts: 412
knickly wrote:
you an always get galvanized tube and spray the joints with galva-brite after you weld them :wink:


How can you spray tubes if you're dying from zinc poisoning?

_________________
Ford 5.0 into an M3
mikaelvroom.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: July 16, 2010, 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 18, 2009, 10:10 am
Posts: 116
Laminar wrote:
knickly wrote:
you an always get galvanized tube and spray the joints with galva-brite after you weld them :wink:


How can you spray tubes if you're dying from zinc poisoning?



idk we do it every day at work... I would use a respirator (even a disposable would work) if it were me.
dilbert wrote:
knickly wrote:
about that foam- anyone know if it might absorb moisture?

you an always get galvanized tube and spray the joints with galva-brite after you weld them :wink:

If you want to fill the frame with something, why not cut holes in the pipes at the joints so you can have flow between them?


Unless you find a foam that specifically states 'water proof' it will soak up moisture and hold it against the tubes, also it's highly flammable, which makes welding tricky.


Thats what I was thinking- more of a sponge effect.

_________________
Jest another locostusa lurker... for now


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: September 23, 2011, 1:52 am 
Offline

Joined: September 18, 2011, 3:45 pm
Posts: 116
You could build it out of wood, but then termites would be a problem.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: September 23, 2011, 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 28, 2009, 8:37 am
Posts: 28
Location: Willow Grove Pa.
I would run not walk away from the foam idea. Volkswagen use foam around the rear vents in the late60 to 70 Beetles. Trapped a lot of water turning into a lot of rust. And yes it burns real good when you try to weld a patch panel around it. We have had good results using Eastwood's internal frame spray.
Dave


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: September 23, 2011, 8:32 pm 
Offline
We are Slotus!
User avatar

Joined: October 6, 2009, 9:29 am
Posts: 7103
Location: Tallahassee, FL (The Center of the Known Universe)
IA599 wrote:
You could build it out of wood, but then termites would be a problem.


You could build it out of wood and then it would be a MORGAN!!! :rofl:

:cheers:

_________________
JD, father of Quinn, Son of a... Build Log
Quinn the Slotus:Ford 302 Powered, Mallock-Inspired, Tube Frame, Hillclimb Special
"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: September 23, 2011, 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 12, 2008, 6:29 am
Posts: 3537
violentblue wrote:
drill a 1/8" hole in the solid tube where there is a joint.
it would make the chassis a single chamber, fill it with helium for weight reduction.


But won't it fly if you hit a big bump? Can you use heavy helium to avoid that?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY