LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: AWD Locost?
PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 2:08 pm 

i don't know if its been mentioned, but what about a r32-33-34 skyline GT-R tranny?

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 2:18 pm 

Fortunately, those are in every junkyard in America... :cheers:

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 4:05 pm 

Ok I'll be a smart alec. ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32-GTR-AWD-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-JDM-RB26DETT-/270967208090?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16e7789a&vxp=mtr
As of today, 1pm pacific time.
Quote:

NISSAN SKYLINE R32 GTR AWD MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Item condition: Used
Compatibility: This information is not available.
Time left: 1 day 17 hours (May 10, 201206:16:35 PDT)
Starting bid: US $249.00
[ 0 bids ]

What'ya think, maybe a 12" wide offset tunnel?

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 4:25 pm 

frezi wrote:
Why not use a hydraulic motor instead of driveshaft?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3003264/2002-ford-explorer

I love that crap. No dyno, yet it makes 1000 hp. Why? Because we said it does SO THERE! Runs 0-60 in 3 seconds. Why? Because we tested it....nope, because we said it does SO THERE! Quarter mile in the 10's. Why? Because we have a video on youtube of us doing it....NOPE, Because we said it does SO THERE!

I love dreamers, but I love science more. Hypothesis is good people. But I need testing, results, data, graphs, and finially a conclusion based on the testing, not based on a hypothesis.

JR

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 4:36 pm 

junior wrote:
frezi wrote:

I love that crap. No dyno, yet it makes 1000 hp. Why? Because we said it does SO THERE! Runs 0-60 in 3 seconds. Why? Because we tested it....nope, because we said it does SO THERE! Quarter mile in the 10's. Why? Because we have a video on youtube of us doing it....NOPE, Because we said it does SO THERE!

I love dreamers, but I love science more. Hypothesis is good people. But I need testing, results, data, graphs, and finially a conclusion based on the testing, not based on a hypothesis.

JR

Well no it's not really 1k HP, that would mean it was "over-unity" by a factor > 9. ..
Interesting concept as far as that goes, there's a few BioDiesel bikes running around with this type of setup both RWD and AWD. Mostly 30 and 35hp engines. ..
They go like stink and the little black farts when you whack them open are kinda cute.

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 7:02 pm 

oldejack wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32-GTR-AWD-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-JDM-RB26DETT-/270967208090?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16e7789a&vxp=mtr
Quote:

[ 0 bids ]

Hmmm... 12" might do it... Might have to wait and see what this one sells for...
K

PostPosted: May 9, 2012, 10:39 am 

junior wrote:
frezi wrote:

JR

Well it's possible that they could have 1k hp. However it would only be for a second or two... Engine pumps the accumulators up to max pressure, open the valves fully and you might be able to get a ton of power. However the little engine's not going to be able to keep up to it.

PostPosted: May 9, 2012, 7:58 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Well it's possible that they could have 1k hp. However it would only be for a second or two... Engine pumps the accumulators up to max pressure, open the valves fully and you might be able to get a ton of power. However the little engine's not going to be able to keep up to it.

So, one big "POP" and then it's pooped... Boy, I know that feeling... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 12:11 am 

junior wrote:
No dyno, yet it makes 1000 hp.

Must have 1000hp to have bent both the drive units ...

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 5:56 am 

I hope that's a joke about "bent" drive units... you can't bend cast like that... Those look more like a bent axis drive unit... Here's a pic of one straight from Bosch-Rexroth's website. Look at the third one down... http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/country_ ... j__9lWk2Ct

:cheers:

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 5:59 am 

oldejack wrote:

Quote:

[ 0 bids ]

I'm amazed this wasn't snapped up by an American Skyline owner... I guess the trans doesn't break often.

Well, it appears you can pick up an awd skyline trans for a paltry $250... Just machine an adapter and SHAZAAM! awd locost... welp, there's your solution, close the thread. Now somebody build the damn thing.

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 1:28 pm 

krepus wrote:
I hope that's a joke about "bent" drive units... you can't bend cast like that... Those look more like a bent axis drive unit... Here's a pic of one straight from Bosch-Rexroth's website. Look at the third one down... http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/country_ ... j__9lWk2Ct

Hope Paddy the Irishman who got fired from the banana factory for throwing out the bent ones didn't get a job there.

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 6:10 pm 

I get it! :cheers:

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 6:40 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Hope Paddy the Irishman who got fired from the banana factory for throwing out the bent ones didn't get a job there.
I'm pretty sure he's an ancestor of Bubba the Bracket-Builder over at Team Slotus... :mrgreen:

:rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 12:17 pm 

krepus wrote:
oldejack wrote:

I'm amazed this wasn't snapped up by an American Skyline owner... I guess the trans doesn't break often.

Well, it appears you can pick up an awd skyline trans for a paltry $250... Just machine an adapter and SHAZAAM! awd locost... welp, there's your solution, close the thread. Now somebody build the damn thing.

Except you'd still need to figure out mounting it, routing a driveshaft up to a front diff (unless you want your front wheels set back to the oilpan like the skyline :P) and the packaging issues up there. We can benchrace for many pages yet. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next