LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: AWD Locost?
PostPosted: December 7, 2010, 6:43 am 

Ok I'm confused on all the AWD threads but for the one that was justed locked I see the distinct difference that the gentleman was quoting "Mid Engine AWD".

Fo specific mid engine if I ever get the time I believe Lamborghini have the best answer to that by far.

Once again Mitsubishi L200 4WD driveline but with the engine mid mounted and the gearbox facing to the front of the car or simply consider a 4WD traveling in reverse.

Here is the Lambo V12 AWD driveline, the front wheels are to the right and the rear diff is hidden under the flexi exhaust joint....

PostPosted: December 7, 2010, 8:33 am 

Lambo donor != (does not equal) locost, lol.

There are some differences between all the different threads, but over time I think almost every configuration has been discussed. Most of the outstanding issues are pretty clearly identified and what we are really waiting on is people to actually start building them and work though the problems.

PostPosted: December 7, 2010, 10:49 am 

The big issue with the 'latest' proposal has been discussed before, in this string or another. Using commonly available differentials for front and rear, together with a NS-mounted EW FWD system would result in overall final drive ratios more suited to a rock crawler than a road car. You would need near-unity ratios for the final drives, which I believe are hard to come by (but did an earlier contributor suggest that Honda CRVrear diffs were in that ratio range, albeit torque limited)?

PostPosted: December 7, 2010, 12:06 pm 
The voice of reason

How about a chain driven center diff, the type of thing BEC people use. Then your reduction or not is set by the chain. You can use a standard diff for the front and rear, but flip the front one upside down.

You also can use a chain drive for a car engine perhaps.

PostPosted: December 7, 2010, 1:00 pm 

ooooh ...

How about simply adding a chain drive sprocket to the output of a North-South Drive train to make a light 'transfer case'. There would be space issues of course, but consider the following:

- a conventional front engine BEC Locost with IRS
- a transfer sprocket on the input of the rear diff
- the driveshaft (multi part, or multi-bearing to control whipping) for the front diff would run from the 'transfer case' back up the (now wider) tunnel, to the right of the generally offset bike engine

I suspect the space issues would be unworkable, and what joy in living beside two driveshafts.

OK for a one person sidewinder I guess.

(This is just an off-the-cuff response to the previuous post)

[Next day edit: This is a terrible idea! Unless the transfer box includes a diff there will be all sorts of driveshaft windup with negative effects on tire wear. The same would apply to simply chain-driving a long layshaft (dtriveshaft) directly from a BEC and connecting it to front and rear differentials. It would be like driving a Jeep CJ in 4WD on dry pavement. Makes or terrible skid recovery too! :oops: )

PostPosted: December 8, 2010, 9:10 pm 

The Lambo was just a demonstration of the layout.

I have posted schematics of the chain center take off previously although the L200 already is this layout and uses 'normal' ratio front and rear diffs of around 4:1.

PostPosted: December 8, 2010, 9:57 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
Ok I'm confused on all the AWD threads but for the one that was justed locked I see the distinct difference that the gentleman was quoting "Mid Engine AWD".

Fo specific mid engine if I ever get the time I believe Lamborghini have the best answer to that by far.

Once again Mitsubishi L200 4WD driveline but with the engine mid mounted and the gearbox facing to the front of the car or simply consider a 4WD traveling in reverse.

Here is the Lambo V12 AWD driveline, the front wheels are to the right and the rear diff is hidden under the flexi exhaust joint....

thats not such a bad space to start. .. run the motor south-north, the rear output becomes the front output, put the rear axle behind the motor(aft midengine i guess) driven thru the transfer case. power loss thru the transfer case to consider. .. sure, the rotation is wrong but diff's are separate units and an r180 can be used downside up with the appropriate oiling mods. maybe honda diff's? it puts the transfer case output on the right side with most of the transfer cases out there. you could shorten the engine bay by using a thru sump axle like gm and bmw use, might even be able to juggle the gm ifs diff to turn the right way. .. shifting. .. left is right, up is down, did i fall into the rabbit hole again? 8)

PostPosted: December 9, 2010, 2:11 am 

+1 Erioshi... no, +2...lol!

PostPosted: December 10, 2010, 8:39 am 

oldejack wrote:
thats not such a bad space to start. .. run the motor south-north, the rear output becomes the front output, put the rear axle behind the motor(aft midengine i guess) driven thru the transfer case. power loss thru the transfer case to consider. .. sure, the rotation is wrong but diff's are separate units and an r180 can be used downside up with the appropriate oiling mods. .

shifting. .. left is right, up is down, did I fall into the rabbit hole again? 8)

Nope, you got it all spot on. Shifting is easy to fix if you had to or you could just imagine you were driving a '60's Skoda Otavia.

I have seen mid engines done like this using a boat's 'V' drive to take the drive to the rear of the car but for RWD only.

PostPosted: December 11, 2010, 9:13 pm 

Is the mitsu l200 4x4 or all wheel drive?

PostPosted: December 12, 2010, 11:04 am 

JSullivan wrote:
Is the mitsu l200 4x4 or all wheel drive?

4WD but cheap :mrgreen:

It's not the worlds hardest prospect to put say a VW Synchro viscous coupling unit in the driveline.

Possibly you could use the whole viscous coupling (the round drum at the front of the diff above the blue swaybar) and the whole Synchro diff assembly...

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 3:34 pm 

massively overbuilt for a locost but this is/was an available spicer part apparently

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 4:09 pm 

oldejack wrote:
massively overbuilt for a locost but this is/was an available spicer part apparently

What the heck is that from ????

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 5:16 pm 

egoman wrote:
oldejack wrote:

What the heck is that from ????

aftermarket (spicer) setup for 4x4 fullsize vans from what i understand.
apparently this establishment purchased all the leftovers when production ended; Barry Burrell, Burrells Service, Inc. PO Box 456, Keego Harbor, MI 48320

PostPosted: December 17, 2010, 9:32 am 

It's a Dana "V" Drive i.e. Spicer, made for wagons and vans. Very heavy will add about 350 lbs. They also made a solid cast iron drive unit that was even heavier for higher GVW and HP. I would pass on this option.
Dave W

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next