LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 11:38 am 
Toyotaphobe

Did I miss the article that was due out in a few days? Did I also miss drawings of the whole system?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 12:49 pm 

Nope I haven't finished the article yet and won't be finished till I'm happy with the steering.

Some basic drawings and descriptions are a few pages back .. viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9417&start=105

Last edited by cheapracer on June 13, 2012, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 1:27 pm 

olrowdy_01 wrote:
I meant that the camber change happens to both wheels simultaneously (in relation to the level ground) when one wheel is moved up/down wheel due to lateral axle angle changes while the wheel moves up/down.

After reading this too many times I now know what you are saying ...

This is one of my biggest complaints and I'll go as far to say people's ignorance about beams is often based around this one - I'll get back to this in time with guns firing.

PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 3:09 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
olrowdy_01 wrote:
I meant that the camber change happens to both wheels simultaneously (in relation to the level ground) when one wheel is moved up/down wheel due to lateral axle angle changes while the wheel moves up/down.

After reading this too many times I now know what you are saying ...

This is one of my biggest complaints and I'll go as far to say people's ignorance about beams is often based around this one - I'll get back to this in time with guns firing.

Not as through as cheapracer's answer will probably be, but here's an experiment for you:

Try driving very, very slowly over a speed bump in a parking lot with the two tires on one side of the car going over the bump, and the others remaining on flat ground. Even with a fully independent suspension, the changes in spring loads will cause the car's chassis to raise (and possibly tilt) as it goes over the bump. There will even be fore/aft changes in chassis height, in addition to the side to side changes. Those movements and possible tilting will still cause the car's tires to be compromised in terms of their ideal relationship with the ground. Any compression or extension event results in weight transfers and load being passed through the chassis; although on really quick events, the suspension loads can return to neutral before the chassis may have fully reacted to the event. Also, all suspension inputs are reacted to by the full combination of all four suspension load paths, and all four springs and dampers. The math (essentially) doesn't change, just our sensation of the event and feeling of feedback because of the speed at which all the mechanical effects take place.

I agree that there will be some geometric difference in how cheapracer's suspension and an IRS will react to very fast bump/dip events. However on longer events, like curbing on the inside edge of a race track or grooves in a heavily worn road, the difference may be smaller than it might originally seem. I have no idea on how well cheapracer's proposed design will work when reacting to the high speed events mentioned, but when the flex of a tire is added, any differences may also be reduced. Considering most passing in racing is done under braking, And his design looks to be trying to improve the contact patch under most circumstances, I'm very interested in seeing how well his experiment plays out.

PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 6:56 pm 

I presume you are refering to Sam Posey's Caldwell D7, a car with some poor understanding of basic engineering and steering. It's failure is often blamed on it's front beam but people don't mention it was a low budget front runner that led races beating McLarens, Lolas and Chapparals etc. Caldwell had the right idea but some poor methodoligy.

Actually I am referring to Jim Hall's Chaparral 2H. Built but never raced. Too much problem with the gyroscopic precession. Jim never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 10:10 pm 

erioshi wrote:

Try driving very, very slowly over a speed bump in a parking lot with the two tires on one side of the car going over the bump, and the others remaining on flat ground.

Yup, that's the one that pisses me right off and gets my back up ......

vroom wrote:

Actually I am referring to Jim Hall's Chaparral 2H. Built but never raced. Too much problem with the gyroscopic precession. Jim never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I am well aware of gyroscopic precession but I can not figure how it relates to a beam axle moving 1/2 degree against an IFS moving 2 or 3 degrees .... not that the 2H had a front beam that I am aware of (DeDion rear) .... ??

And of course you don't mean this 2H that raced often .. http://www.petroleummuseum.org/Gallery/Chaparral2H.html

And who knows the real truth of what the car might have been without Surtees disturbing the process ..

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 2:20 am 

Heres one on a mallock its a ford split front I beam axel

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 5:45 am 

laserracer wrote:

It's a fully independent suspension swing axle system, not a beam.

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 8:01 am 

cheapracer wrote:
laserracer wrote:

It's a fully independent suspension swing axle system, not a beam.

I was only quoting what the owner had put in the for sale add

. The rear end is a narrowed Ford unit. Front suspension is the original.. SPLIT.. Ford I beam with Koni shocks. The front stub axle carriers are aluminium.

Sure i agree its probably independent suspension now ..but its still made up from a split ford I beam axel

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 8:52 am 

laserracer wrote:

Sure I agree its probably independent suspension now

There is no "probably" about it, it is 100% independent suspension, I can't even see an anti-roll bar in there.

I wonder if they say "split I beam" being too embarrassed to say "swing axle"? :lol:

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 10:08 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I wonder if they say "split I beam" being too embarrassed to say "swing axle"?

Could be... I've seen text describing other vintage Mallocks that use the same terminology. I always assumed :shock: they were just calling it what it was because they took an old Ford front axle and cut it in two. I believe that Mallocks of that vintage were sold as kits, and cutting up a beam axle was "as specified" in the kit. "Back in the day" it was a fairly common race car or hot rod trick in the US to get independent front suspension, I understand. (Before my time! :mrgreen: )

In my build thread I was just blathering on about how Mallocks always seemed a bit rough at the edges, put together with baling wire and using hammers. Splitting an old beam axle to make a "Red Neck" independent suspension would fit the general character.

"Split I-Beam" or "Swing Axle"... Po-TAY-toe or Po-TAT-oh... I should quit blathering on in here now...
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 10:32 am 

Quote:
its a ford split front I beam axel
probably should have been rephrased to Ford front I-beam axel that was subsequently split. I think most of us understood that.
Quote:
"Split I-Beam" or "Swing Axle"... Po-TAY-toe or Po-TAT-oh... I should quit blathering on in here now...
Yep! Me too :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 10:46 am 

rx7locost wrote:
probably should have been rephrased to Ford front I-beam axel that was subsequently split.

Let me translate to Oz for you - "cud'narf".

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 11:14 am 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
probably should have been rephrased to Ford front I-beam axel that was subsequently split.

Let me translate to Oz for you - "cud'narf".

That made me "larf me arse off"...
:cheers:

JD "Speaks Australian" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 3, 2012, 3:28 pm 

Bloody Ozzy lingo :boxing: i just dont understand it :BH: whats with throw another ..roo on the barby
,,put the dooner on the bed,..lets have some fush and cheeeeps ..what outbac i live in seeeednee..Hey hows ya sheila been..make sure junior has his port and color stix for school,.. :roll: :BH: looks like i will have to get out my Aussie to kiwi language book again..yes they have some nice cars ..HOLDEN and FORD...but They also designed some spectacular flops as well..AUSTIN KIMBERLY and TASMAN ..LEYLAND P76..to name but a few... bloody ozzy's

KIWI Dave.......I Beam..I Beam..I Beam Foreva :cheers:

Last edited by laserracer on July 3, 2012, 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next