LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/4 scale model
PostPosted: July 17, 2012, 1:49 am 

Would it be worth the time to build a complete 1/4 scale model of the chassis, suspension and drivetrain?

I have access to a prototyping machine and can build everything out of plastic for the SLC project I am working on right now. I am thinking this would be a good idea for the L7 design we are working on, but has been moved to the back burner for now.

I think it would be different and great for shows, also it could be useful for fitment and design proposes also.

1927 Roadster - custom build
1932 Ford, full one off custom build
2008 Corvette Z06
2009 Mustang GT500
2010 Nissan GTR

Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale model
PostPosted: July 18, 2012, 3:33 am 

If nothing else, flexing the model will show you where the weak points of your design are. Which bays are more prone to flex and if there are specific areas of the design that will see way more flex than the rest of the chassis.

Having just a couple points that end up flexing significantly more than the rest of the chassis can become a pretty significant design flaw; uncorrected that could lead to a built in point of increased metal fatigue and chassis failure.

For fitment, I prefer a full sized wood mock-up. There are small details that you can catch when actually sitting in (or getting in and out of) a full sized mock-up that would be hard to detect in a scaled down model.

PostPosted: July 18, 2012, 9:42 am 

Modeling all the big parts (wheels and tires, engine and gearbox, gas tank, pilot, etc.) would be great you could then develop your tube frame in balsa or wire around them. There could be a market for accurate engine gearbox models. I would have loved having one for my build. Dragging the engine gearbox unit on and off my build table was a PITA

Last edited by vroom on July 18, 2012, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 18, 2012, 1:24 pm 

I say go for it!!

Excellent idea for show displays. I don't know if there's one near you but there's more of the same type of equipment available at http://techshop.ws/

(standard disclaimer implied)

PostPosted: July 18, 2012, 1:29 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
For fitment, I prefer a full sized wood mock-up. There are small details that you can catch when actually sitting in (or getting in and out of) a full sized mock-up that would be hard to detect in a scaled down model.

If I recall Erioshi did a lot of full scale modeling for one of his ideas and found it very useful. I think the large scale, 1/4, modeling time is better put into either working with CAD drawings or full size models/mockups that you can sit in and get a feel from.

Just as a heads up, the experience of my engine builder friend is that the material used by a prototyping machine is not useful for real intake manifolds. He was doing a serious pull on a turbo Lotus twincam and heard an odd noise - looked up at the engine stand and a haze of fuel air mist was starting to seep thru the intake manifold where it had become porous from fuel. That was probably just a few seconds before there would have been a decent explosion...

There might be some interesting small things to make in full size with a prototyping machine that could be used for casting patterns.

- Front and rear suspension uprights could be made that would be a big improvement for us ( Seven, Lalo and other small track cars )

- Bellhousing adapter to mount Porsche, Subaru and Audi transaxles with flywheel and starter in a Locost style car.

- Parts to shrink a Ford 289/302, It could be the smallest motor to put in a Locost, but it could use help for that. A very low profile intake manifold ( for turbo maybe/probably ), conversion to an external water pump.

- A diff housing or maybe rear cover more suitable for us.

PostPosted: July 18, 2012, 4:48 pm 

My prototyping company had an SLA machine 15 years ago beside "what it looks like models" we did a very active business in patterns for either metal or plastic parts. There is a lot to know in the pattern biz. The current buzz around 3D modeling reminds me of those daze. It is all very cool until reality sets in.

PostPosted: July 18, 2012, 9:31 pm 

I believe that what I was trying to explain building a model of has been misunderstood in part. I am looking at building a model of the RCR Super-Light car, that we are building along along with our other car we are building.

I understand full scale mock-up is a better way to go for final design and final pre-check before making a part.
We are doing this for the uprights and control arms already for our own design in full scale to ensure everything before we have them machined.

I see this as a good way to show the work done on the chassis for both as they will be covered with body work afterwards.

I hope this explains what i mean beter.

1927 Roadster - custom build
1932 Ford, full one off custom build
2008 Corvette Z06
2009 Mustang GT500
2010 Nissan GTR

PostPosted: July 29, 2012, 8:49 pm 

I'd vote, "Go for it"!

Even if nothing meaningful is gained, playing with a proto machine is worth every effort (and having a 1/4 scale model would make a great conversation piece if nothing else). :wink: