LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McG-01 design phase
PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 7:07 pm 

One of my good friends is on the University of MD FSAE team. He was showing me the fabbed spindles and other components. front spindles were tubular with 75 or 80mm id thin bearings. Should be very stiff and light. My build is more "classic style" since I didn't want to spend $15k + on the car. Spent ~$3500 according to my spreadsheet. Been thinking about another build, probably CAD designed middy
with a longitudinal engine. Love to do a Subie RS 2.5 or STI turbo. Originally wanted to do a Can-am type replica, but decided against that for a number of reasons.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: May 26, 2012, 10:56 pm 

Keeping my documentation up to date....

I expect to have quite a bit of time to spend on this over the holiday. I hope to have the front push rod and steering geometry set.

As of right now I'm going with a low front mounted steering rack and I don't know if I want to put the shocks horizontally opposing on top or position them inside the frame somewhere.

Clearly, I'm heading toward an open cockpit design with no doors and maybe some sort of cloth button-on top. There will be some stressed panels around the cockpit.

All tube ends are trimmed for laser cutting. I've cut enough tubes by hand for FSAE, I'm over it.

I made the MRH and the FRH out of 1.25"x.120" for now. All others are 1.25x.095 or 1x.095 around the cockpit. I have not looked into whether this is overkill or not yet. FEA will be done later. I need to raise the FRH too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 4:45 pm 

I just got some exciting news. Instead of stealing a copy of Mathcad or similar I found a free version called Maxima. Now I can start writing code to output suspension loads in different driving scenarios and make proper tube size decisions and estimate deflection if I want among many other things. I will gladly make the code available on here when it is done.

Slightly updated pic with all tubing notched appropriately for my expected build sequence. I also have a very detailed model of a Subaru boxer engine but I don't know what year it is and how accurate it is yet. I'm still flip flopping on the Busa/Boxer/4G63 decision.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 9:36 am 

The Subi will make your WB a lot longer.
Looking at your models reminded me of a a picture of a space frame (Costin designed I think) that had a transverse triangular sectioned box under the drivers knees to which the side frames were attached. It looked as if it might be good in torsion as it solved the "large open operator occupied bay" problem. I always thought it would be interesting to analyze but as I am currently in the front engined world I never did.

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 10:12 am 

To your WB comment.... I'm not sure that it will make the wheelbase longer but it will make the body longer. The problem I don't like to see when I look at pictures of the transmission is the axles are really close to the engine itself which I assume for now will bias the weight toward the rear more than I want. I have to get some weights and estimate CG and see where it all falls.