LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13, 2010, 10:31 pm 

I weighed mine at 125# on a bathroom scale, it is relatively narrow, but the input shaft is very high in the case, and the shifter is way out back.

Looking back on my notes I weighed my W58 at 90# so they are closer in weight than I thought and it seems reasonable to think that I could take 20# out of it during the RWD conversion.

PostPosted: April 16, 2011, 5:13 pm 

crazyswede wrote:
I have never seen someone build a frame around an as is subaru awd drivetrain.

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about that...

What I was visualizing was something like one of the old cycle-engine cars that had a motorcycle V-twin stuck out in front of the radiator shell, but instead with a Locost-type snout cut away or reshaped to clear the Subaru engine, which would stick out in front of the car all by itself.

Given the relatively light weight of the Subaru engine, and that the occupants are sitting at the rear wheels, I think the weight distribution would be reasonable... and not too far off to hose the stock Subaru F/R torque split.

Also, the only thing running through the cockpit would be the driveshaft; the transmission would under the hood. So the tunnel could be narrower, particularly at the front, where it would provide more footroom.

Ducting air to a radiator would require a little thought, but at the very least you could mount it vertically behind the engine and vent exhaust air out the sides.

I'd give reasonably serious consideration to building something like that, except Subarus are rare where I live.