LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 14, 2010, 9:42 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

On one PC, I come here, it knows me, and there's no problem at all.

On another PC, I come here and I'm not logged in. Tried to log in and this board doesn't know my user name, password, or even the e-mail I used when registering originally. Huh?

Any ideas?

PostPosted: September 14, 2010, 10:01 am 
The voice of reason

Try clearing cookies etc. on that browser? There was some turmoil in our database some time ago...

PostPosted: September 14, 2010, 10:29 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Will do, though it's odd how the LocostUSA site won't recognize "kb58" even when I type it in myself, or my password, or my e-mail address. I can understand cookies messing things up because they're entering wrong stuff for me, but when I do it myself and it still doesn't work, that's when it gets odd. Oh well, I'll try it and see.

PostPosted: September 15, 2010, 9:28 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Okay, cleared out cookies - logging back into every site I use. However, same result, this site doesn't know me. Something's off because I just confirmed (through this computer obviously) that my user name, password, and e-mail account are the ones being entered on the other PC, but on it, LocostUSA does not recognise my screen name or password. Clicking on "I forgot my password" also fails, rejecting my e-mail address as not being on file, yet that is indeed the address used, as confirmed through this PC.

I'm guessing somehow my IP addr got banned...

PostPosted: September 15, 2010, 10:09 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Huh...that's a weird one. I don't mind working with you on that, but I don't even have a hunch on that.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: September 19, 2010, 10:46 am 

KB58 wrote:
Okay, cleared out cookies - logging back into every site I use. However, same result, this site doesn't know me. Something's off because I just confirmed (through this computer obviously) that my user name, password, and e-mail account are the ones being entered on the other PC, but on it, LocostUSA does not recognise my screen name or password. Clicking on "I forgot my password" also fails, rejecting my e-mail address as not being on file, yet that is indeed the address used, as confirmed through this PC.

I'm guessing somehow my IP addr got banned...

Any idea which one it is?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 19, 2010, 10:58 am 

Kurt, this might be helpful. Let me know if you spot your IP.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 29, 2010, 7:00 am 

Sounds like Kurt's having more problems with access...

http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Current/

PostPosted: September 29, 2010, 9:18 am 

If the IP is not flagged as banned maybe he can look further upstream. LocostUSA could be blocked by his ISP.

I couldn't find an email for him to see if he checked with his ISP. Mods?

PostPosted: September 29, 2010, 6:05 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

No conspiracy here, I promise, Kurt. The fact that you posted the messages above shows that the server software has no beef with your account.

What is the IP address of the machine that is giving you grief?

Try logging in to the site from two different browsers on that machine. e.g. FireFox, Opera, Chrome...even (ack) IE. That will either eliminate it as a browser issue or point to the problem.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: September 29, 2010, 10:38 pm 

KB58 on his own blog wrote:

28 Sept

I seem to have been banned from LocostUSA... that's too strong a word though because since as far as anyone can tell, I haven't been, but I can no longer access it. This is from two different PCs on two unrelated ISPs. First one PC couldn't due to the site not recognising my password. Asking the forum site to send it to me, it said it didn't recognise my user name... huh? Meanwhile, the other computer continued to access the site just fine, with the user name the other one said was no good. Then a couple days later, the second PC starting having the same problem. Before that happened I asked the mods what was going on and no one knew. I tried clearing cookies, which meant signing back into every forum I'm on. In every case---except one---that was uneventful. The one failure: LocostUSA. I even tried signing in as a new user, and oddly it let me register using my old user name - which should have been impossible. Anyway, the last step to registering is that the forum then sends an automated e-mail that has to be responded to in order to make it official. Surprise, never recieved it. Went back and requested the registration e-mail again, and again, nothing, and no it wasn't in the spam folder. Sent an e-mail to the mods, again asking what's going on, and nothing. I don't get it.

I've not received an email about this. Maybe part of the problem is with your email account. I just checked again and your account is still active. See the attachment for a capture from the admin panel below. It appears you changed your password the last day you posted here. If you like I can change the email that your account is registered to.

PostPosted: September 30, 2010, 8:42 pm 

Chet, I think he would be grateful but you probably need to email him.

PostPosted: October 1, 2010, 2:35 am 

I suspect his email as the culprit, but I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: October 1, 2010, 2:56 pm 
So Chet changes my password and now it works...

BUT, previously I had tried the "forgot password" link and never recieved an e-mail - twice. I tried logging in as new and never received the activation e-mail - twice... I checked my IP address against the list above and it is not on it. Even sent an e-mail saying so but it either was lost or filtered out.

And now it works. Happy, but suspicious that whatever it is will come back.

PostPosted: October 1, 2010, 10:23 pm 

KB58 wrote:
So Chet changes my password and now it works...

BUT, previously I had tried the "forgot password" link and never recieved an e-mail - twice. I tried logging in as new and never received the activation e-mail - twice... I checked my IP address against the list above and it is not on it. Even sent an e-mail saying so but it either was lost or filtered out.

And now it works. Happy, but suspicious that whatever it is will come back.

Well this is strange. You are posting from a new account, but your old account still shows up as active and they have the same freakin' username! That's more than a little odd. There's something awry here for sure. I'm tempted to delete the new account, reset the password on your old yahoo account and have you try to log in again. Wanna try it?