LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 17, 2011, 8:07 pm 

Yes, even as a newbie I realize these two criteria severly limit my selection. Actually, i've lurked on and off for 10+ years but now trying to get serious about building what I actually want. I want to put together a car than can be used for autocross/trackdays/hillclimbs, as well as be street-driveable (just).

Nearly all my competitive driving experience has been in mid-engine cars, and the light weight and integral transmission of a bike engine continues to fascinate and appeal. Two seats and a full cage are the other requirements. Although I can handle most of the assembly, my welding skills are not good enough for chassis or cage work.

After much research i see some models have come and gone. The only one that I can find that's currently made looks to be the MK Midi. The Midlana project is very attractive but it sounds like space for a bike engine might be limited - and it's not complete yet.

Any others I should take a look at?

PostPosted: January 17, 2011, 9:41 pm 
The voice of reason

There's a book on building BEC cars, perhaps that would have some pointers.

Some of the Bike engines are also available in snow mobile and Jet ski type configurations. If you can afford machine work or want to take up another hobby too, you might be able to connect one of them to a Subaru, Porsche or Audi transaxle. Then you get proper gearing with reverse and a transmission strong enough for a car...

PostPosted: January 18, 2011, 1:13 am 

The BEC book would have a few tips, but I'm not sure how useful it would be past some of the general prep with a kit.

I think Carguy123 was at one point looking into the Onyx Mongoose in this thread. While I don't think the Mongoose was designed for bike power, it may be light enough to make it work.

There has also been some talk here about the MEV Sonic as well. I think the sonic looks pretty slick, but I have no idea what would be needed to cage it or adapt it to meet the rules of any specific sanctioning body. And I do not believe it is designed for bike power.

If you are serious about being competitive & chasing trophies in AutoX or hillclimbs, then I would start with the rule book and make my build decisions based on that. If you're just looking to have fun then the rule books are there basically to provide you with the safety equipment requirements. I'm sure you know this already; but I always tend to include this disclaimer when people start talking about multi-purpose competition cars.

PostPosted: January 18, 2011, 1:31 am 

erioshi wrote:
If you are serious about being competitive & chasing trophies in AutoX or hillclimbs, then I would start with the rule book and make my build decisions based on that. If you're just looking to have fun then the rule books are there basically to provide you with the safety equipment requirements. I'm sure you know this already; but I always tend to include this disclaimer when people start talking about multi-purpose competition cars.

A very good point! I actually have a racecar now that was built many years back to no particular set of class rules. It's a semi-tubeframed Fiat X1/9, that looks very much like a circle track car. While it's a blast, it's stlll 1500lbs and in no way streetable. The Middy is intended to be fast and safe, but I have no aspirations of winning, just having more fun.

PostPosted: January 18, 2011, 1:31 pm 

Mark,
I see that you also live in Washington... If you want to register the car you build it will have to resemble an older car of some sort if you build it with a bike engine. Based upon the judgment of the State Trooper who eventually examines the car, if it resembles a particular car that is old enough to avoid emissions testing then you're all set, I believe. If they decide that it's too unique then they will register it as a brand new car, so I believe after 5 years you will be subject to emissions testing as a 2011 or newer car. A carefully tuned bike engine with a catalytic converter might pass, but I'd be surprised.

I agree that the MK Midi looks about perfect for what you're after. I think they're even available through the dealer in FL. The nose resembles a Lotus 7, so registration might work out... Maybe with clam shell front fenders and a more seven-like set of rear bodywork the different proportions wouldn't throw the inspector off the "1962 lotus 7" path..?

PostPosted: January 18, 2011, 2:15 pm 

Hi Dean -
Getting it classed as a replica would probably be desirable. However, I live in a non-emissions testing area now so my understanding is that this would be an non-issue for registration. Unless of course being a "new" car means OBD2 is required...

PostPosted: January 18, 2011, 5:10 pm 

Mark - I think you're right about the advantage of living outside the emission testing area... If only my wife weren't such a city girl I'd do the same :wink:

PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 9:41 pm 

If it's still available, try the Fisher Menace. Other possibilities are MEV, the Sylva R1ot and Sylva Mojo.

PostPosted: January 20, 2011, 3:55 pm 

Looks like the Menace and Mojo are now dormant or defunct. The Mev Sonic 7 is very appealing but Duratec-based and look like there would not be enough space for chain drive.

The Sylva Riot R1 and MK Midi seem to be the contenders for now. I fear that by the time I get to the point of committing, the field may have changed again :?

PostPosted: January 22, 2011, 12:06 am 

Nice to see another Washingtonian on the forum - how do you not have to deal w/ emission...looks like you're in Bellevue?? (I'm 10 minutes south in Newcastle)

PostPosted: January 24, 2011, 3:25 pm 

x19mark wrote:
The Sylva Riot R1 and MK Midi seem to be the contenders for now. I fear that by the time I get to the point of committing, the field may have changed again :?

Sylva and MK seem to be the most reliable of the middy kit suppliers. The Riot has always been attractive, other than it using components that are not easily available in the US, specifically UK Ford Fiesta parts. Not sure about the donor parts used on the MK Midi.

-Steve

PostPosted: January 26, 2011, 12:24 pm 

Hi Guys,

just FYI the mk midi kit we supply comes with all the donor parts for running gear so you dont have to source any hard to find parts

link to specification and kit contents page
http://www.smartsportscars.com/mk%20midi%20specification.html

cheers Paul

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 3:22 pm 

We have this little car for sale...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8834&start=90
It is using a Hayabusa engine and is 95% complete. If someone doesn't step up and buy it as-is for $15k I am going to pick it up from Kentucky and finish it here in FL, then sell it complete.

At $15k the cost of the parts is barely covered. You aren't going to find a better deal than that for a high quality build in my opinion.

:cheers:
BT

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 9:24 am 

Hey Mark,

Good to see another X19 guy here! I picked up a Ferrari 360 drive train out of a wrecked challenge car and am trying to decide what to do with it.

John

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 12:38 pm 

skydivepaul wrote:
Hi Guys,

just FYI the mk midi kit we supply comes with all the donor parts for running gear so you dont have to source any hard to find parts

link to specification and kit contents page
http://www.smartsportscars.com/mk%20midi%20specification.html

cheers Paul

That's a great, and really comprehensive kit. Well done!
:cheers:
BT