LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: February 28, 2011, 12:10 am 

some did.... it made pancakes on the floor lol

PostPosted: March 2, 2011, 11:20 am 

I started to shape the foam last night, I used a good old hand saw to cut the big chunks off then I used a hand power plane to flatten out some areas and start the general shaping, thank god for the vac port on that thing.... then I broke out my 17" air file with some 80 grit to begin refining the shape and the corners until I tore both the sheets of 80 grit I had to shreds.

For those who may be wondering, I purposely left the gap between the very front station and the second one just in case I FUBAR the very front bit and I need to take it off to repair or replace it. I plan on taking the big chunks of foam I cut off and cutting them into strips and smaller pieces and glue them in to fill the gap there.

I also got started making the mounting bracket for the HF air hydraulic ram (for shop cranes) to convert my Pro-Tools 105 bender to hydro power :twisted: I am modeling the basic bracket on the one from Copperhead Fab with the exception that I will not be welding on the ring bit that holds the ram near the "top" and I plan on making it easy to mount and remove from the bender.

PostPosted: March 2, 2011, 11:58 am 

looks good brian...

PostPosted: March 2, 2011, 3:06 pm 

looking good!

PostPosted: March 2, 2011, 3:46 pm 

Thanks guys! It's coming along nicely I'm going to add some filler to some areas today to take care of some of the areas where the foam got to thin and or accidentally removed. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 5, 2011, 8:29 am 

any more going on with the nose? on a side note, im sick as hell right now and cant hardly talk... ive just been texting tara when i need something

PostPosted: March 5, 2011, 11:18 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo-
Looking good on the "nose cone" project!

I get a chuckle out of the pics which show the buck/mold pieces and the pink insulation on the door behind it...
That's the material I'm making a nose cone out of!

Good luck!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 5, 2011, 11:48 pm 

That sucks Daniel, I always hate being sick, at least you have a great wife to help you get better quickly :)

Thanks JD, I love my pink foam insulated doors it keep that bitter cold SC winter out of the garage......... make sure you seal your foam before you put any polyester or vynalester resin on it or all that hard work will literally melt away, you can simply use something like a latex house paint or just use some epoxy resin and then you wont have to worry about it at all :D I'll be down in your neck of the woods (somewhat) next weekend diving at the Devil's Den, Rainbow River and Crystal River for my open water cert class, perhaps a beer or two can be arranged :cheers:

I didn't get anything done today :( because I was at my local dive shop helping the owner with some things at the store and learning new things like how to properly and safely fill SCUBA cylinders, how to clean the cylinders and valves to be used in NITROX diving plus more good knowledge. I also helped get the shop air compressor back on line, the second and third stage is activated by a solenoid that was not wanting to cooperate so it was removed cleaned and put back and now it works perfectly 8) , btw the compressor is a 4-stage unit that pumps up the bank to about 4200-4300 psi :shock:

Tomorrow I am going to put some filler on the top of the nose and flatten out the sides to get them ready for shaping and I also plan on starting to shape the bottom side of the nose too.

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 12:03 am 

sounds good

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 8:27 am 

BrianG701 wrote:
I'll be down in your neck of the woods (somewhat) next weekend diving at the Devil's Den, Rainbow River and Crystal River for my open water cert class,

I have been diving in Devils Den and Crystal River but man that has been a long time ago. What organization are you getting certified in; Padi, SSI, Naui? It's probably been 8 years since I've been diving since I got my Rescue Diver (Padi). Both of my parents were instructors but, my wife wants absolutely nothing to do with diving. It took us going to the beach 5 times before she even got in the water with me and we live 30 minutes from Tybee Island.

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 10:15 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Brian-
Hey, thanks for the "heads up" about the foam insulation and resins. I was aware of that l'il problem, and have been planning to use epoxy resin all along. Never hurts to remind me of stuff though...

I'm in Tallahassee, somewhat to the west of the I-75 corridor (approx 100 miles from the intersection of I-75 and I-10).

We have an autocross in Adel GA, right beside I-75, next weekend, which I'm probably going to attend on Sunday. Perhaps that'll work out for a get together, without detouring you too greatly...

Or you're always welcome to come by Tally for a visit! What day are you leaving SC?

Regards-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 11:52 pm 

I made some progress today, I started the cycle of fill, sand, vacuum, fill, sand vacuum........

JD, I might take you up on your offer, I just have to talk to the 3 young ladies that are coming with me 8)
We are leaving here (25 min south of Charlotte NC) about 00:30 Thursday night/Friday morning

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 10:25 am 

brian, sounds like a party :twisted: ... good luck on your scuba cert.

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 11:27 am 

It shall be :mrgreen: I am going to be making a trip to Frugal McDougall's to get supplies :twisted:
I took the SSI written final exam last night and got a 100 on it so now I just have to complete my evaluation dives then I'll be certified for Open Water (60ft max depth) and NITROX diving :mrgreen: 8) Then I am going to start getting my specialty certs done.

PostPosted: March 12, 2011, 2:49 pm 

how is your diving going?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next