LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 25, 2011, 5:48 pm 

We just got back from a trip to California and drove from LA to SF on Hiway 1. Just past the Hearst Castle we saw a sign saying the road was closed ahead. Well in the Midwest when a road is closed they point you to a detour. Well they don't do that out west I guess. A guy on a BMW bike told us about a road at mm 18 called Nacimento-Fergerson Rd. (across from the Kirk Creek Campground) that would get us over to hiway 101 without having to drive 200 miles out of our way. Now that was a fun road but not for going fast. An unGodly amount of twists and turns. Up hills and down hills. Very tight!!!! It is only about 1 1/2 cars wide. If you get a chance to drive it do so. Google map it. Russ

PostPosted: March 25, 2011, 6:30 pm 

Try this link to see the road (I hope it works) http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll= ... 5&t=h&z=15

PostPosted: March 25, 2011, 6:47 pm 

looks like fun :twisted:
when i was in italy, i drove this one, kinda fun... but a few police
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=SP126&daddr=Via+Santa+Lucia%2FSP126&hl=en&geocode=FZ66jwIdlze0AA%3BFVT2jwIdGu-0AA&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=14&sll=42.99002,11.846523&sspn=0.016135,0.055189&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14
i was lost (looking for hot water springs, but we overshot it as we were staying in montepulciano... but it was worth the wife screaming (or talking obscenely as she remembers it) at me

PostPosted: March 26, 2011, 11:01 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Wow! Heckuva road, Russ! Somehow I'm guessing you weren't in the Seven...pity.

Heckuva detour, too. I didn't believe your 200 mile comment at first, but I can see that, easy.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 26, 2011, 3:12 pm 

Thanks for posting, I'm always looking for new roads in that area! I'll drive it next time I have the Seven over there!

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: March 26, 2011, 11:29 pm 

Yeah I was not in the Se7en. I was in a POS Chevy Aveo but it was still fun. Russ

PostPosted: March 27, 2011, 2:07 pm 

I've towed my bike to CA twice in recent years looking for roads like that :D I missed it. I left San Simeon and took boring 46 over to 101 :oops:

Oh well, next time. Can't complain too much though because I did find some other fantastic roads in Northern CA.

Ron

PostPosted: September 28, 2011, 1:29 am 

I drove this road yesterday, the views were as awesome as the road. Only went 11 miles up from Highway 1, only a saw couple of cars. Fun road! I posted some pics on photobucket unfortunately I put my car in the middle of most of them :mrgreen: . Drive it if you get a chance, the pictures don't do the view justice. http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/b ... er%202011/

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: September 28, 2011, 5:59 pm 

Looks like a fun road, Rod! When are you gonna drive that beast up here to the Bay Area? I'm jonesing for a ride!

Joe

PostPosted: September 28, 2011, 8:36 pm 

Hey Russ, I know that road. Many years ago we were going up to Monterey from the LA area for the bike racing at Laguna Seca and PCH had been washed out. We took that road across to the 101 but it was about 1 in the morning. Not the best road in the dark of night but I am still alive. My car was in a 77 Camaro. Thanks for sharing and Rod, great photos. Man I miss the CA coast.
:cheers:

PostPosted: March 28, 2012, 10:35 pm 

you don't miss it as much as me, here i am , surrounded by sand.

i've been waiting for the tide to come in for 6 years now, not a chance.

i do have a nice road though from meadview to south cove, its 9 miles long and drops 500 feet down into the canyon, all curves, drop offs and rock faces, it in a national park.

just wish i had the three hundred bucks i need to finish my car and try it out.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 29, 2012, 7:56 am 

john hennessy wrote:
you don't miss it as much as me, here i am , surrounded by sand.

i've been waiting for the tide to come in for 6 years now, not a chance.

i do have a nice road though from meadview to south cove, its 9 miles long and drops 500 feet down into the canyon, all curves, drop offs and rock faces, it in a national park.

just wish i had the three hundred bucks i need to finish my car and try it out.

Surrounded by sand??? Where are you??? Maybe you could set up a "John Hennessy Fund for Wayward Se7ens" that people could send money to. But be sure to get 501c3 status so it is tax deductable. Teehee!!! Russ

PostPosted: March 29, 2012, 8:15 am 

Wow, John, it looks like you are in Arizona. When the big one hits you will be right on the beach. My road is due west of you so when you get your car running it is only a hop, skip, and a jump from you. 578 miles ain't that bad. Russ

PostPosted: March 29, 2012, 12:06 pm 

lets get our priorities right, trialsmangasgas, would you like to be a gold star donor to the fund, if you will contribute $50.00 to my worthy cause, you wil recieve a big thankyou and a signed photo of me in the car!

that way, i'm selling it to you and it's second hand so no tax.

of course any other donations would be appreciated.

and yes i am in the grand canyon, arizona, see photo of the rim taken from my workshop

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 29, 2012, 3:18 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Try this link to see the road (I hope it works) http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll= ... 5&t=h&z=15
Spent many a long weekend water skiing on the calm waters of Lake Naciemento! 40 minutes from one end to the other!!

Roads completely sucked for trailering a 26ft powerboat, but would be incredible in something as nimble as a Se7en!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein