LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mako Exo style car
PostPosted: April 7, 2011, 11:12 am 

B85 wrote:
pook wrote:
Its not all supported by the arm.

PooK

After looking at this photo,what will keep the axle from pulling out of the bearing?Does it need a spindle to keep it together?May be a bolt?

Working with my subaru upright I push the hub out of the bearing offen.With the drive axle out I would think it would work its self apart?

I agree it looks like you will need the out portion (stub) out of an old CV to hold the hub flange in and properly load the bearings otherwise likely to work the hub and wheel off the car.

PostPosted: April 7, 2011, 1:27 pm 

They are one piece hubs, they do not seperate. The front and rear are the same part number the only difference is the back of the solstice gets an axle and the front is empty.

PooK

PostPosted: April 7, 2011, 2:21 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
With all due respect to the entire build I do believe those mudguard supports are way undersize and will not last very long before they succumb to fatigue. RTV will actually help to absorb the frequencies (bumps, engine vibes and airspeed flutter) that will cause the fatigue.

Mudguard supports have long been a problem for open wheeled road cars (and motorcycles).

that was my first thought as well...looks rather thin compared to what I've seen elsewhere. IIRC my fender stays (MNR vortx) are made from 1/2" tubing..they feel really sturdy, but there's still been some failures after 1+ yrs of use.

PostPosted: April 7, 2011, 2:24 pm 

B85 wrote:
pook wrote:
Its not all supported by the arm.

PooK

After looking at this photo,what will keep the axle from pulling out of the bearing?Does it need a spindle to keep it together?May be a bolt?

There are three bolts that hold the hub from falling or working itself out of the upright. One of them is the longer bolt that we use to brace the steering pivot, the other two are the allen head bolts that are about the same distance from the center of the hub. You can't take the hub out without removing these three bolts. I read on the Solstice forum that a few people had some funny handling and eventually (after several hundred miles driving) found 1 or 2 bolts loosely dangling from the back of the upright. I guess someone didn't use enough oomph when they tightened them down in those cases.
:)
BT

PostPosted: April 8, 2011, 9:17 am 

b-t wrote:
found 1 or 2 bolts loosely dangling from the back of the upright. I guess someone didn't use enough oomph when they tightened them down in those cases.

BT

Dissimilar materials that have dissimilar expansion rates ie; steel and aluminium in this case - theres always going to be cases of loosening if put under higher stresses and heats such as racing provides. I would think with your half weight of a Slowstick that you may not have these issues however a drop or 2 of Loctite and good quality spring washers will add to the safety margin.

Thats quite interesting they use the same hubs front and rear, not sure I have seen that before.

PostPosted: April 8, 2011, 9:31 am 

b-t wrote:
There are three bolts that hold the hub from falling or working itself out of the upright. One of them is the longer bolt that we use to brace the steering pivot, the other two are the allen head bolts that are about the same distance from the center of the hub. You can't take the hub out without removing these three bolts. I read on the Solstice forum that a few people had some funny handling and eventually (after several hundred miles driving) found 1 or 2 bolts loosely dangling from the back of the upright. I guess someone didn't use enough oomph when they tightened them down in those cases.
:)
BT

I had a Solstice with that issue. A bit of lock-tite and some oomph cured it. It seemed to happen to folks that autocrossed the car more than anyone else. Love the build!

Scott

PostPosted: April 8, 2011, 11:02 am 

I have only used the blue loctite. Is that what you all would recommend? I was hoping to get the bodywork back today, but I will have to wait for Monday. Meanwhile I have gotten all my electrical parts together, so the chassis wiring will hopefully be done by next Friday (at least that is my goal)!
:cheers:
BT

PostPosted: April 8, 2011, 11:34 am 

Thats quite interesting they use the same hubs front and rear, not sure I have seen that before.[/quote]

They've been using one style of hubs on HD trucks for years. Guess they just started carrying it over to cars.

Fantastic build to follow !!!

PostPosted: April 9, 2011, 1:19 am 

b-t wrote:
I have only used the blue loctite. Is that what you all would recommend?

Go get a bottle of 270 (green). I use it everywhere because it's hi temp, very high retainer strength and no problem for oily areas common to cars.

From memory the blues are reasonably weak.

fb#1 wrote:

They've been using one style of hubs on HD trucks for years.

I'll remmebr that on my next build - hmmm Mack hubs front and rear with dual wheels on the back .... and the Bulldog on the bonnet!

PostPosted: April 9, 2011, 6:59 am 

cheapracer wrote:
b-t wrote:

Go get a bottle of 270 (green). I use it everywhere because it's hi temp, very high retainer strength and no problem for oily areas common to cars.

fb#1 wrote:

I'll remmebr that on my next build - hmmm Mack hubs front and rear with dual wheels on the back .... and the Bulldog on the bonnet!

Then you could use 16x7" brake shoes LOL. The drum alone weighs about 130 and thats not the severe duty. You would never have a problem with not meeting weight requirements for your race class :boxing:

PostPosted: April 9, 2011, 9:46 am 

Formed Hub™ Wheel End System
Overview | Details | Where to Buy Timken® Formed Hub™ is a single integrated unit that can be bolted directly onto corners, eliminating the need for conventional components like washers, spacers and nuts. Its design provides for lower total system cost, commonization opportunities, improved performance, reduced weight and lower warranty costs.

Design Attributes

Designed with up to 75% fewer components, reducing assembly time and lowering costs for sourcing, inventory and assembly.
Allows the same configuration to be used on driven and non-driven wheels, replacing the conventional 4x2 (dead) spindle.
Features an advanced sensor and sensor technology for superb performance.
Holds bearing setting more consistently than traditional thread and nut designs. The resulting system stiffness reduces rotor runout and improves brake performance.
Reduces weight by up to 20% per assembly compared to conventional wheel end solutions.
Self-clamped design eliminates high stress in the spindle and CV joint, reducing overall warranty costs caused by bearing wear and failure.

Applications

Passenger car and light truck wheels

PostPosted: April 9, 2011, 7:44 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
b-t wrote:

fb#1 wrote:

I believe Auto Union used dual wheels on some of their race cars, years ago.

PostPosted: April 9, 2011, 8:44 pm 

Quote:
Formed Hub™ Wheel End System

Live and Learn!

Thanks for posting that Pook.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 9, 2011, 9:49 pm 

PostPosted: April 10, 2011, 8:39 am 

photoman wrote:
I believe Auto Union used dual wheels on some of their race cars, years ago.

Well it was a joke, of course I would only use Kenworth hubs and the Auto Unions only used the duals for Hillclimbing events.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 58  Next