LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible build
PostPosted: April 11, 2011, 7:58 pm 

First off I am not sure where to put this, so mods please feel free to move this to any section you see fit.

Now on to my question. I have been dreaming of building a Locost for about 4 years now (and lurking on this site for a long time too), so I am not really new to the game. My only problem is I only have till about January 2012 to finish my build. I plan to go by Uncle Ron's instructions the entire way so nothing fancy. Does this seem like a reachable goal. I have all the space I could need and most the tools and I have near the entire summer free to finish this project. Will this be enough time, I seek your guidance.

*Edit* I forgot to mention that I am very mechanically inclined if that makes any difference. Once again thanks.

Post subject: Re: Possible build
PostPosted: April 11, 2011, 9:18 pm 
The voice of reason

I would guess probably not, especially for a sreet car. Street cars have lots of details and wiring that seems to go forever. If it was not your first build of one of these you would have a better chance.

Maybe you could build a frame, and gather the other stuff and then store till you can finish it?

PostPosted: April 11, 2011, 9:32 pm 

Quote:
I only have till about January 2012

WOW. The mere thought of a first time build occurring in 8-9 months is aggressive. That short of a schedule is more for a kit car or a third time build for a Locoster. I'm not trying to discourage you. BUT..... do you have a backup plan on what you would do with the partially completed build in Jan?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 11, 2011, 9:43 pm 
Locostering Legend

The odds are against you reaching that goal. Save your time and $$, don't start with a deadline like that.

I spend more time planning a car build than that.

Over the past 10 years, there might have been 2 or 3 builders (known to internet users) that finished a car within that time.

PostPosted: April 11, 2011, 10:57 pm 

It can be done. I did mine in 8 months, but, I worked on the build virtually everyday of that 8 months. If you have a family, kids or a life, don't count on it. :|

'79 Alfa Spider Veloce
http://tomsuppa.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 8:02 pm 

Thanks for all the realistic responses, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have been planning this build on and off for a long time for a while so I have all the plans strait in my head and know exactly what I want and how I plan to build it. For those of you who have finished builds, do you count planning in your time, or just pure build time? I figured it may be possible since I have all the planning done, but please correct me if I am wrong.