I promised myself I'd try really hard to contribute by posting my build log as over the years I have got so much information from others. I just hope I remember to stop and document as I go! Also I know I'll do something stupid and hope someone points out the error of my ways!
I chose a kit mainly because I wouldnt trust welding a chassis from scratch (I've welded before but nothing I'd trust my life to) and also I prefer the idea of knowing all the parts and geometries are sorted. I'm not planning a quick build - in fact really trying to not put a time limit on it despite many friends and family insisting I get it done as quickly as possible. On the other hand I really cannot spend 5 or more years on something like this, too much else going on!
I decided on MNR after considering MK Indy, but after reading Peters Miata build (http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9631
) and looking at the quality of the kit and especially the use of round bar for the chassis really swayed me. Chris at MNR has been great in helping me through the option process.
My choice of motor is the Yamaha R1, I figured if I'm going to build an impractical car it may as well be very impractical. I've had several bikes over the years and love the idea of 12,000+ RPM and sequential transmission in a car. On the color choice I went with Kawasaki Green - love that color, and should stand out on the road!
The MNR R1 version uses mostly English ford parts, in particular the 7" diff from the Sierra. I am not too concerned about having parts sourced from the UK as all my family still lives in England, I'm there every couple years or so.
So --- Kit arrived just in time for the weekend, unpacked and made a little progress already. I sourced my own diff through my brother so it needed some TLC, that was job #1. Cleaned it up, made sure it really was a 3.38 ratio as recommended by the MNR guys. Also made a battery tray and started work on brake pipe routing. I'll post more picures once I get better at using the forum here.