LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ford megasquirt
PostPosted: April 29, 2011, 4:01 pm 

Just paypal-ed for a "Megasquirt for Ford" from EBay. Hopefully will serve as my ticket to this group. Unit is "assembled and ready for installation" and appears to be the one that goes in the Ford EEC box and has a female 64 pin plug for the existing harness.

Being an electronic dunce, the plan, at this moment, is limited to getting a 2.3 lima up and running with carb and TFI-IV or EDIS. All advice welcome.

Post subject: Re: Ford megasquirt
PostPosted: April 30, 2011, 4:25 am 

Uh oh....

Ford doesn't use a 64 pin plug for their ECUs, its 60 for the EEC IV and 100+ for the EEC V. Also, you can't buy a "Ford" Megasquirt, it has to be set up and wired for a certain engine. The ECU from a Taurus will not work in a Mustang, and likewise a Megasquirt built to run a Taurus will not run a Mustang.

I'm hoping you didn't get ripped off. I think every first time Megasquirter should build their own, so that they understand what's going on inside the MS. The preassembled ones should be for people who have done it before and don't want to spend the time making multiple units.

In any case, I wish you luck. I'd go with EDIS over TFI, EDIS is a newer and more flexible technology, and makes it easy to expand the Megasquirt to other duties as well.

PostPosted: April 30, 2011, 6:45 am 

Here is something, new to the market, for TurboFords. Wish I knew enough to properly assess it. I'm posting the link so others can do that.

http://forum.turboford.org/ubb/ultimate ... 2;t=054279

Bill

PostPosted: April 30, 2011, 7:31 am 

At best you should tear open the MS and document which modifications were made and where he wired any optional circuits to the connector. I may sound like an untrusting soul but taking someone else's word might lead to some future problems. Is it a MS2 or MS3? What version software is loaded?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 6, 2011, 5:56 pm 

Attachment:
DSC04417.jpg

USPS finally delivered this today. No documentation, except a note with a resister to be used with EDIS. Card logo is: EECIV-MS V2.1a.

What have I got, and what do I need?

Lenny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 6, 2011, 7:43 pm 

Lenny, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Unless there is something you are not showing, it looks like all you got was the adapter board for interfacing a (not included) megasquirt to the stock Ford wiring harness and the Megasquirt relay harness. In kit form together they run $142 You would still have to assemble the adapter board and source a case. In addition to this, you still need a Megasquirt ECU. I read the eBay listing and it clearly said it was a "Megasquirt for Ford". Either the seller didn't know any different, or he intentionally defrauded you. You be the judge. I checked his feedback as a seller. He didn't sell the Megasquirt separately within the last 4 years. SO, I'm guessing he doesn't know the difference.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

If you are somewhat electrically inclined, all you need is the Megasquirt and adapt the donor's wiring harness. You don't need a relay board, relay board harness or any adapters. That is all I used. But you do have to know how to read a schematic how to solder and how to splice wires reliably.

From http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/eeciv-adapter-board-kit-pcbv20-p-151.html

Quote:
Features
•Uses your standard Ford Harness and connector.
•Designed to use the relay board cable on the connection from the Adaptor board DB37 to the MegaSquirt DB37.
•Larger connector holes, easier to assemble.
•TFI or EDIS pull-up resistor on board.
•New design PWM Idle driver on board. No MegaSquirt modifications required.
•Drivers for Fan and Nitrous relays.
•Input for Nitrous feedback or Table Switching.
•Knock sensor input.
•Proto area with +12V, +5V, and ground nearby. Allows you to add your own circuits. (EGT, VSS, ?)
•Optional 25pin connector for use with Transmission control..
•The Spare I/O Pass through connector J3 can be used optionally to run Wide Band signals, EEC or MegaSquirt signals in/out.
•Breakout connections for all EEC-IV connections.
•Cut points for European PATS ECU compatibility. (Fuel pump, SAW/SPOUT and PIP)

What you'll need to come up with--
A Ford EEC-IV ECU to harvest the case/connector from as per the MegaEFI documentation. This kit includes everything needed to enable the features above, with the only exception being the case and connector from a stock EEC-IV computer.

The Documentation
Click here to see our EEC-IV adapter board guide for full details of how to implement this system,including pinouts for 5.0 Mustangs and 2.3 Turbo cars.

So in short-- here's what you need:

•A MegaSquirt, I or II, either will work nicely
•Relay Cable
•MegaEFI EEC-IV Kit (this page)
•Stock Ford EEC-IV ECU (just to steal the connector and case from, it can be a dead ECU from a junkyard Taurus or most other 86-95 Fords)

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 6, 2011, 11:53 pm 

rx7locost

I agree. I'd reached the same conclusion. I got ripped off. We'll see how well ebay buyer protection works.

Looks like i need to learn to solder....

Lenny

PostPosted: May 7, 2011, 4:22 am 

Ouch, that sucks. You said you used Paypal, file a dispute immediately with them. I've had good experiences with getting my money back via Paypal disputes.

He'll either be forced to refund you, or prove that he sent you what was in the auction. Since he didn't send what he sold, you shouldn't have a problem. He might want the item back before giving a refund (can't remember if that's allowed or not), if he does, make sure you charge him at least the same as what he charged for shipping, maybe more.

You may end up with your money back ~and~ the adapter board, if he doesn't want to pay for return shipping or deal with the hassle of it. Hope for that, because the adapter board is a nice thing to have. Now buy an MS1 and assemble it yourself, and you'll have a great setup to start tuning a 4 banger. It's not that hard, even for a electronic dunce, the instructions are quite clear.

PostPosted: May 8, 2011, 1:50 pm 

I believe seller's statement, that after two years he had forgotten exactly what he had. I accepted a refund of half payment and kept the patchcord and adapter card. Not the great deal, I thought I had, but a fair one. Now to order MS2.

By the way, DIYAutoTune does have assembled/kit plug and play units for the Miata, "with others soon to follow!"

Lenny