LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 31, 2011, 11:36 pm 

Hey all, well I just had a look and darn it if it hasn't been five years that I've been on this forum, where does the time go? Actually it turns out that a lot of it went into buying tools and waiting for that "elusive bargain".
So this is actually my second kick at this, the first time I was trying to build a roadster but I was using a chop saw to do my cuts and then my table warped during the very slow build, needless to say I had a fabrication (fabricator :BH: ) failure. Even though I screwed it up I learned from it so it's not a real loss, not only that but I salvaged almost all of the steel.
My engine is a ford duratec 2.0 from an '07 Focus with 34,500km I picked it up from my local pick a part a couple years ago with the alt for $150 including core and tax. Yes I did a rather embarrassing happy dance. The induction for this took a bit of a tortured path as I had sworn off of building another frame (yep I was sulking in the corner of my garage thinking of engine swaps etc). Anyhow long story short after exploring a number of different options I decided that almost any normal car project would be mundane at best... The result, I have ITB's from a gsxr1000 adapted to a DCOE style manifold, a turbo manifold and a rebuilt Nissan/Garrett T3 turbo from an '84 300zx. I also have a Fidanza flywheel and some forged I-beam con rods, I need to buy some pistons still, I'm waiting for another of those elusive deals. All in all I'm aiming for a dead reliable no hassle 300ish hp.
The transmission is from a late model Ranger, the shifter position is not ideal but at $150 plus shipping it was much cheaper than any other option that I could find so I'll have to figure something out for the crappy shifter location. I spent so much time looking online and scouring e-bay for something better I think I've done some permanent damage to my optic nerves although the real damage is more than likely a just couple inches further back.
As for an axle and spindles I'm not committed to anything yet but I'm thinking SN95 Mustang in the back with Mustang II spindles in the front, it's been done parts are cheap and if it breaks down somewhere (not that I see myself going too far from home in it, lot's of rain in the GVRD) I should be able to get replacement parts almost anywhere.
This car is going to be a street toy with hill climbs and whatnot in mind, I don't plan on using too much in the way of exotic parts suspension wise but if it happens then it happens.
I expect to have a lot of questions as this go's on so thank you in advance to all that have comments and suggestions.

Now I just need to figure out how to post some images!

Ted
[img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/604random/027.jpg[img]

Last edited by Random on June 1, 2011, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 31, 2011, 11:41 pm 
Always Moore!

Nice engine choice. ;)

Sounds like you got one heck of a deal on both the engine and transmission.

Do you have any more shots of the intake?

PostPosted: May 31, 2011, 11:43 pm 

I will in about 10 or 15 mins

PostPosted: May 31, 2011, 11:53 pm 

As you can tell I still have a bunch of work to do on these too.
[img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/604random/002.jpg[img]

PostPosted: June 8, 2011, 12:34 am 

Well today marks day eight of my build, I generally only get one "day" (about 6 hrs) per week to work on this project. As it would happen I've been spending a lot of time at work thinking about what to do about the corners at the rear of the frame. Well as it would happen the universe came though for me as I was pulling out of the yard the other day as I spotted a kids drawing table in the ditch (you get a remarkable view of ditches from the cab of a semi) it was upside down reveling two of these Image
I'm not religious in any way shape or form but if there is a god... uh thanks!
Anyhow this is what I got up to today and I hope to get most of the rest of the frame work done in the rear end tomorrow, well as mush as possible anyhow I need to commit to a rear end soon I guess, I'll keep looking in ditches in the mean time!

PostPosted: June 8, 2011, 12:46 am 

And from a bit of a distance
I need to work on my welding, I'm a little embarrassed posting pics of some of it when compared to some of the truly impressive workmanship seen in many of the other build logs. It will come with practice and perhaps a course or two.
I also flipped the frame over this evening for the first time this evening to finish the welds on the bottom side and some of the areas that are a PITA to get to right side up, the frame is getting a little heavy and awkward now and that mandatory pic holding the frame over my head is starting to look a little sketchy, hmmm, perhaps I'll have to make up for it with some vroom, vroom, vroom pics, or in my case WAAAA... PFFT.... WAAAA.....PFFT!

PostPosted: June 8, 2011, 1:13 am 

SEE those two square plates you haveat the top of the frame. I would ditch them and put in a piece of 4 x 1/4 inch flat bar. WHY? Welll those are the points whereyour roll bar is going to fasten, your shoulder belts are going to fasten, probably some of your suspension points, etc. This was a major point of the chassis to secure important components. I am building a street car, not a race car so not so concerned with ultra light weight. I am also using an IRS so it helped with mounting the centre section and eliminating the need for a torque strut.

AL :chev:

P.S. REMEMBER to cap the ends of those tubes

PostPosted: June 8, 2011, 3:20 am 

Hi Al,
Oh, Ok, yeah I see what you're talking about, I had actually thought about setting up something similar to what you're talking about with the harness mounts but decided against it as I have plans to attach the harnesses to a harness bar integral to the roll cage (planing a six pointer). I'm 6ft 4in and I think that if I mount the harnesses that low I may be inviting compression injuries if the worst were to happen. You're right that I'll probably need to beef that area up, but I think I'm going to have to wait until I have a few more components, I don't want to have to un-do anything major, un-doing sucks!
As for the tube ends... well I'm not so much looking forward to cutting out the little squares but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to cut out the plates for my lower corners so perhaps that won't be as bad a job as I had initially feared.

Cheers,
Ted.

PostPosted: June 8, 2011, 7:16 am 

Random, my modified (better braced) remote shifter is working quite well, is cheap and lightweight. You can see a pic of it here. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6298&start=45

Also, if you elect to use the 50's Chevy V8 motor mounts (cheap and easy to work with) I found that I had to stack them up. Two sets on each mount. Even at that, they will cost less than $10 total at Rock Auto. The 2.3 with no balance shaft is a bit of a thumper.

Bill

PostPosted: June 8, 2011, 12:16 pm 

Thanks for the info and the link Bill, it took me an hour or so when I bought that trans to remember who it was also using it. Your design is certainly a contender along with Raceral's, I need to stop by his place one of these days when we both have time as we only live about 40 or so miles apart. I will most definitely look into those engine mounts though they sound like a winner for that kind of money! I've heard that the 2.3 is a little lumpy, I've got the 2.0, I'm not sure how it will be for vibrations, it can't be any worse than my Spec V (2.5 liter, low revving four cylinder torque monster) with the energy motor mount inserts though, my mirrors are always blurred at idle. It's a good trade off for when I stand on it though, no more wheel hop.
Actually I had an opportunity to drive a 2010 Focus with the 2.0 in it a few months ago when my wife's car was in the shop, I was actually pretty impressed at how hard the little thing pulled (for what it is), my first thoughts where along the lines of "holy s**t! At 1200-1500 lbs less the locost is going to haul ass! perhaps a turbo is going to be a bit much"
Well I've finished breakfast now and most of my coffee, its time to go out to the garage!

Cheers,
Ted.

PostPosted: June 21, 2011, 4:49 pm 

Today is day 9. The last couple weeks have been a bit of a loss in the build department and today is the first chance that I've had to get back in the garage... at that I slept in this morning so it didn't leave a whole lot of time today.
Today was spent on the back end of the car putting in the bracing although some of it is still tacked as I have to pick up my daughter from school shortly.
I think I've progressed to the next level in my build though, I'm getting A LOT of sideways glances from my neighbors now as they drive by! Ah the joys of living in a town house complex! Oh well I think most of the really noisy work is coming to an end soon.

Cheers,
Ted

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 12:52 am 
Always Moore!

Random wrote:
Oh well I think most of the really noisy work is coming to an end soon.

You haven't made any suspension brackets yet have you? :D ;)

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 1:46 am 

a.moore wrote:
Random wrote:
Oh well I think most of the really noisy work is coming to an end soon.

You haven't made any suspension brackets yet have you? :D ;)

Well ok busted! no I haven't done that yet (along with countless other things :lol: ) but I figure the noise will be spread out over a longer period of time rather than me being in the garage grinding and banging all day on the days I get to work on it. Like I said the neighbors are now giving me sidelong glances or... they're ignoring me all together. Thank god my wife chairs the strata council and I'm close friends with most of the other members. Actually my bylaws are pretty fair and loose, as long as I'm not running a business or violating city noise ordnance I'm pretty much good to go. My neighbors are pretty good too, as long as you're not being a pain in the ass you can get away with a lot around here.

Cheers,
Ted

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 10:55 am 
Always Moore!

I was in a rental apartment/townhouse when I started mine as well. Fortunately my neighbor let her high school aged son and his friends have huge parties with tons of booze in the garage/driveway area. It was pretty much impossible for me to make more noise and attract more attention than a bunch of drunk high school kids.

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 12:17 pm 

Andrew, I just watched your YouTube vids, looks like you had a blast, how did you place? Nice to see the progressive confidence and aggression run to run!
I've been pretty lucky with neighbors kids and parties and such over the last few (20ish) years but that could be the demographic of the area and the complex. We only have a couple rental units and with the cost of living in my area most of the shenanigans seem to happen in other areas of town. My first apartment building was ground zero for just about every type of misconduct you can imagine, I think my wife (gf at the time) only lived there for a couple months. My poor MR2 SC took a real beating there too between being broken into and vandalized. I REALLY wish I still had that car.

Cheers,
Ted