LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: May 21, 2011, 11:52 pm 

Hello All. My name is Chris, and I am here because I am addicted to Locosts.

I had been lurking on the sight for nearly four years before finally becoming member (I think for the ability to do searches). Even after joining I had not been actively posting. Because of this I have a lot bottled up inside so please bare with me, or hit the back button now.

I'd like to start by saying this is a fantastic forum. Hats off the those who do and those that have in the past run, and supported it.

So, the time has finally come where I can and should start a build log. I believe I have now met all of the written and unwritten prerequisites;

Books- bought them (Cheap sports car, Kimini, Gibbs book)
Plan- have one
donor- bought one
complete welding course- done
build table- done
steel purchased- check
tools- collected
build underway- Yes!

I happened on the scene back in the summer of 2006 after reading the C/D article. I had always wanted to build a ‘kit’ car (550 spyderish) but could not justify the initial cost. After reading the article I was hooked on the idea of spending as you go, also using a modern donor (ie Miata) was much more appealing than a bug based car.

I had been actively looking for a donor for the last two years. I had decided on a Miata for a donor. Unfortunately living here on the prairies of Manitoba there just aren’t a heck of a lot of donor class cars at donor class prices around. An example of what I'd been finding locally - ’90 Miata , lots of rust , engine has a cracked head 300k++km, $2000, really? Ugh!

Then one evening back in early September of 2010, after reading the latest in the forum, I did a country wide Kijiji search and found the car you see below. A 1990 Miata with only 115,000 km for $1500.
Attachment:
100_3495.JPG

Attachment:
100_3496.JPG

Sweet! Unfortunately it was located in New Hamburg Ontario, about 1.5 hrs SW of Toronto or 2147 km from Winnipeg.
Attachment:
untitled.png

Ok, not ideal you say, but the car looked like the perfect candidate (good parts for me and good parts for resale). So, naturally, out of curiosity, I contacted the seller, and asked him what the story was behind the car. Terry (the seller, and his real name ) told me the car was in great shape aside from the pushed in nose. He had purchased the car the previous September and after driving it only 500 km, his girlfriend had unfortunately spun it in the rain. Had looked into transporting the car but that was over $1000 so not justifiable. I asked wishfully, if it drove straight and he said it did. All of the damage was forward of the suspension points. He had driven on a few occasions after the accident before being pulled over by the OPP and having them deem the car unfit and making him tow it home. I asked if he felt the car could be driven back to Winnipeg and he felt it could (wasn't like he was driving it, eh :wink: ). Wa’hell, that’s all I needed to hear.

Now, I’m not suggesting this is something to teach your kids, but after corresponding with Terry via email and phone on several occasions, I felt confident that the car was as described, and I could and would make it back to Winnipeg (Or if you ask my wife, once I get my mind on something I won’t let it go no matter how irrational it is). So I purchased the car for an agreed price of $1300, over the phone, sight unseen.

So, now I just needed to get the car insured in order to drive it back to Winnipeg. In Manitoba a vehicle needs to have a valid ‘safety’ certificate in order to be insured. When bringing in a vehicle from out of province, once you have the proper documentation, you can purchase temporary insurance (4 days IIRC) to drive the car form point A (out of province) to point B (home) before it is certified (yes, I’ve done this before).

Ah, but yes, that’s right, the car was deemed unfit in the province of Ontario. No matter according to MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance, the only game in town). Just hand over $30 and that is good enough for 4 days!! So after faxing over the required paper work for MPI, I had valid insurance to drive a car though a province that would not allow it on the road as it sat. Armed with the paper work I booked the next flight out to Toronto. In locost tradition I used air-miles to cover the cost of the flight. I have to add, at the time , my wife was not overly thrilled at the idea of me going on this little adventure as she was due to have our 1st child in 3 weeks and she did not want me getting stranded in the middle of now where (and there is a lot of that in northern Ontario). This turned out to be a reasonable concern as she gave birth the week after I got back.

So I arrived in New Hamburg, were the car and Terry were waiting for me. Damaged front end had pushed the rad back so the top hose was pinched a bit, and one of the A/C lines was just making contact with the crank pulley (mmn remembering Chet’s nightmare), Went for a short test drive, and aside fom thr passnger frnder rubbing the tire, all seamed ok. The car drove and stopped straight. Back at the house Terry cut the rad hose back to straighten it out in order to improve flow strapped the hood down so it would not flip up on me on the highway, loaded the car up with extra tires , spoilers, a header so I would not feel alone on the ride back.

Once on the road Miata did well. A bit of an issue with the temp going up when got on to the highway. Likely due to the lack of air across the rad, with the bottom lip of the bumper being pulled up by the hood pulling on the strap. Simply taped the hood down to keep the hood from puling on the bumper, and used the interior heater to act as a secondary rad. Problem solved. This was not an issue once the ambient temp went down in the evening.

Other wise a flawless 2147 km test drive. No issues with the OPP, aside from a speeding ticket, which the officer graciously dropped down so just fine with no points on my license (whew!). He did not even bat an eye at the Nascar tapped nose.

Thanks again Terry, for your help getting the car ready. You made the 'sight unseen purchase' more comfortable, and the long trip home more confidence inspiring than I could have hoped.

So that was the story of the donor purchase.

So once the car was home, our child was born (life is good :mrgreen: ) and the donor collected dust.

Over the fall and early winter I had a few opportunities to clean up the garage to receive the donor for disassembly.

Started disassembly just after the new-year. This took about 2 month to complete. it was a great way to spend the cold winter months. Although I had to plan my work as with it being –15'C to 30'C it would take most of a day (or the previous night) to warm up the insulated garage to somewhere around freezing with a couple of 1500 watt heaters.
Attachment:
100_4353.JPG

Attachment:
100_4368.JPG

Attachment:
100_4460.JPG

Attachment:
100_4498.JPG

Attachment:
100_4699.JPG

I am happy to say that the sale of parts has gone well and in just a few months I have recouped the cost of the car and then some. I even had a buyer for the shell.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12374
Completed build showcase http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16865

Last edited by cboettch on January 12, 2016, 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 12:38 am 

There goes the shell (wife is happy :? ).
Attachment:
000_0001.JPG

As it seemed the right thing to do and with safety in mind , I took a mig welding course this spring at my local college. This was invaluable and it has given me the confidence to weld up my frame safely. I own and planned on using a cheap 115v Mig welder and I was not sure if it would be up to the task. The course allowed me to weld with several good quality machines (Miller 252, 140) as well a bringing in my own to practice on and dial in.

The build table is a forum standard MDF (3/4'" and 1/2") glued and screwed to steel studs.
Attachment:
100_4720.JPG

I Purchased My steel a few weeks ago (waiting for some dry weather). Called around and ended up getting it from Brunswick steel. Nice shiny crew steel. Purchased uncut in 20' lengths which fit just fine on an 8' trailer.
Attachment:
100_4733.JPG

Fortunately Brunswick is only a few block from home. Once home two minutes with a saws all made the manageble 10' lengths.
Attachment:
100_4740.JPG

Drew out the bottom rails on the table. Boy it looks narrow.

Started cutting the bottom rails. I had purchased a cheap 6" chop saw from princess auto back in the winter. very portable and worked ok but seemed to have some play as the bottom of the cuts were not quite square. Did not fancy having to dress all my cuts so picked up a 10' cutting disc for the miter saw. Works great. Makes cutting the angles accurately a snap.
Attachment:
100_4763.JPG

Attachment:
100_4779.JPG

I am getting all my fiberglass parts from Kinetic. As well I expect things like front suspension, rear suspension (spoiler!) spring/shock assemblies (now that he is a distributer) gas tank, windshield kit, hard ware, etc from Jack as well. For what he has given to this community, he is definitely worth supporting. Having the packages mailed to Mike's Parcel Pickup in Pembina North Dakota just south of the border where I will pick them up there by avoiding the ridiculous brokerage fees I have read about.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 6:37 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Chris-
Welcome to the gang! Looks like you're off to a great start, and with a great story! That was a leap of faith, flying out to drive back in a "wreck"... Cojone's, Sir, no doubt!

Continued good luck with your build, and please keep us posted!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 7:39 am 

Good to see another manitoban on here. Would love to see your project in person some day but I am working in regina for a little while. Thats OK because these projects take more than a little while anyways. :D

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 12:12 pm 

Hey Chris,
Welcome to the family... As you might have suspected it will take more time than you planned , not necessarily more money than you want (donor approach is a big $ saver), and provide a wonderful experience in discovery, frustration, and sense of accomplishment. We are all in the same boat and do offer useful information, comment, quips and fellowship. There is a ton of experience, great ideas, and "been there done thats" that will save you time and $'s. The forum also makes for great entertainment for and from fellow gear-heads. JD is right, major courage and leap of faith in buying and driving a wreck home story is priceless. Looking forward to your build and sharing in your progress and successes...

Best,
Monte
Fresno, Ca.

Ps: Boy it sure looks cold there in the winter!!

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 12:34 pm 

Chris, I like your style! Your build is getting off to a great start, and even better, you have clearly embraced the spirit of adventure that suits these cars so well. I'm very much looking forward to reading your <Locost Lifestyle> forum entries when you're done with the build; having read your donor-fetching experience, I doubt you'll let wind noise and a firm ride keep you hanging around the house when you have a drivable Locost in the garage (and I'm confident you'll get there sooner than most).

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 1:29 pm 

Chris, some of the build logs start with a few comments that make the reader wonder if the builder will push on through the inevitable problems or the build will simply quietly disappear into never-never land. But after reading your startup story there's no doubt you'll have a successful build. Great start, keep us posted.

Ron

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 6:45 pm 

If the car turns out anywhere near as good as your narration it will be perfect.
Welcome to the club

Al :cheers:

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 7:43 pm 
The voice of reason

Welcome. I like the picture with the xmas lights. I also notice that you have a blue donor too! I am sure it is eager to get the useless parts removed and looking forward to becoming a real car!

Your doing great. Don't get discouraged if you have slow periods while your trying to get your baby up to the first year mark... One of these days they'll be helping....

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 11:41 pm 
Always Moore!

Great start to the build. Sounds like an exciting adventure getting the donor.

PostPosted: May 25, 2011, 1:07 am 

Gentlemen thanks for the kind and ecouraging comments. Its very motivating comming from some of the more senior members (and I mean that only as it relates to the forum of course).

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo Chris-
Welcome to the gang! Looks like you're off to a great start, and with a great story! That was a leap of faith, flying out to drive back in a "wreck"... Cojone's, Sir, no doubt!

Continued good luck with your build, and please keep us posted!
JD Kemp

Thanks, but Idon't know that all of my naration to be as entertaining. I did have 8 months thinks about it. However I hope I can continue to make the log worth reading.

egoman wrote:
Good to see another manitoban on here. Would love to see your project in person some day but I am working in regina for a little while. Thats OK because these projects take more than a little while anyways. :D

Hey egoman, Been looking foward to making contact. I followed your build from the start. Very unique and entertainting. Looks like you had a blast Loved the videos. Good luck getting out of Regina.
monte montemagni wrote:
Hey Chris,
Welcome to the family... As you might have suspected it will take more time than you planned , not necessarily more money than you want (donor approach is a big $ saver), and provide a wonderful experience in discovery, frustration, and sense of accomplishment. We are all in the same boat and do offer useful information, comment, quips and fellowship. There is a ton of experience, great ideas, and "been there done thats" that will save you time and $'s. The forum also makes for great entertainment for and from fellow gear-heads. JD is right, major courage and leap of faith in buying and driving a wreck home story is priceless. Looking forward to your build and sharing in your progress and successes...

Best,
Monte
Fresno, Ca.

Ps: Boy it sure looks cold there in the winter!!

Thanks Monte, relay enjoying 'doing' finaly and now that I'am doing, I'l be looking for advice from those that have done it thats what makes this such an amazing forum. And ya, it does get cold, but you can always dress warmer. When if gets freakn hot you can only get so undressed before the nabours get nervous, unless you live in the country, but then you have to watch for welding sparks and whoa,, alittle off track here. sorry....
JackMcCornack wrote:
Chris, I like your style! Your build is getting off to a great start, and even better, you have clearly embraced the spirit of adventure that suits these cars so well. I'm very much looking forward to reading your <Locost Lifestyle> forum entries when you're done with the build; having read your donor-fetching experience, I doubt you'll let wind noise and a firm ride keep you hanging around the house when you have a drivable Locost in the garage (and I'm confident you'll get there sooner than most).

Jack, very kind as you embrace the spirit of adventure like nobody else here. I hope that once it is built I have/make the oportunities to really get out and enjoy it. i'm thinking road trips to gatherings (not like anyone's gonna come here). Part of the reason I am doing this is that I just don't get/make many oportuniteis to enjoy taking my other car out (the blue donor as horizenjob lable it :shock: , ouch) and it therfore it doesn't need any appretiable work. So need some thing that will keep me busy and interested. Being carfull not to set unobtainable goals I'm thinking alot closer to two years than five. Definalty have the avantage nowadays of the done thats that just wasn't there 5 years ago (hats off to those getting it done back then).
sevenesqueron wrote:
Chris, some of the build logs start with a few comments that make the reader wonder if the builder will push on through the inevitable problems or the build will simply quietly disappear into never-never land. But after reading your startup story there's no doubt you'll have a successful build. Great start, keep us posted..

Ron

Thanks for the encouragement. Agreed I Figure, as I havn't lost interst in 5 years.
raceral wrote:
If the car turns out anywhere near as good as your narration it will be perfect.

Welcome to the club

Al :cheers:

Thanks Al. It was fun to put together and inspired by the good folks on the forum.
horizenjob wrote:
Welcome. I like the picture with the xmas lights. I also notice that you have a blue donor too! I am sure it is eager to get the useless parts removed and looking forward to becoming a real car!

Your doing great. Don't get discouraged if you have slow periods while your trying to get your baby up to the first year mark... One of these days they'll be helping....

Ya that's pretty much all the light we get in January. On the other hand it 10:00pm as I write this (or at least it was when i started) and I'm sitting infront of my build table looking out my gargage watching the sun go down. Can't wait till she's out here with me. I was going to say I'll be looking forward to your advise on technical issues, until the Blue donor crack.... very funny :wink:. Thats my, just turned, 100,000km (7years ago, another trip to Toronto to purchase and drive back) driveway cruiser (drive it down the driveway to work in the garage, drive back into the garage when done, sigh.
a.moore wrote:
Great start to the build. Sounds like an exciting adventure getting the donor.

Thanks Andrew, I expect iut to get more exiting as I go.

Ok, having said all that I do have a bit of progress to report. First and most exiting My daughter cut her first top tooth (that makes three) :mrgreen: .
Also Finished cuting the last couple of tubes for the lower rails. Clamped them down using Chets method. Worked like a charm.
Attachment:
100_4809.JPG

I had originaly planned on using clamps like Like Dave 'can;t talk now feeding the twins' Hempy. But the book frame does not fit the build table like a 442 (sure obvious now), and I just didn't have the heart to cut big holes in my new table to pass clamps through. Then tacked them all.
Attachment:
100_4837.JPG

That's it for tonight. Can't wait to get back at it.
Chris

PostPosted: June 3, 2011, 12:53 am 

Wel folks, I've entered the land of 3D. Please, put your glasses on now, if you have them. Thats right ooh :o , ahh :)

Nothing here unique to the forum but progress none the less. the compound Mitre saw certanly helped with the front section.I spent abit of time trying to get the 'turn' right. There doesn't seem to be any measure for this (aside from just getting your angles on the cuts right). Looks reasonable.
Attachment:
100_48451.JPG
Followed by the H (4) and J tubes.
Attachment:
100_4865.JPG
Attachment:
100_4866.JPG
That was it for May. On to June. Worked on the rear bulkhead. I see now (after the fact of course) why Chet had suggested fitting up the K and M tubes to the A tube flat on the table as a subassembly. A lot less drawing in the air.
Attachment:
100_4883.JPG
Attachment:
100_4884.JPG
The N tubes were next. Here I deviate form the book :shock: and went with dropped tubes (5 degrees).I like the look and need room. Dear wife came out to have a look, cocked her head both ways and and again said 'looks small'.
Attachment:
100_4891.JPG
Then the M tubes were moved as well for triangulation.
Attachment:
100_4899.JPG
Added the Q and P tubes before calling it a day.
Attachment:
100_4902.JPG
Coming along well so far I think, things are fitting they should. Starting to look like something you could put a seat in and wheels around.
Chris

PostPosted: June 4, 2011, 11:17 am 

Welcome. Now about this little one(not the car), what brand is it? You might post a photograph.
Congradulations, Car is looking good also.

PostPosted: June 4, 2011, 9:19 pm 

photoman wrote:
Welcome. Now about this little one(not the car), what brand is it? You might post a photograph.
Congradulations, Car is looking good also.

Thanks Rod. Geez don't get me started (oh, uhh, too late). Just reading your post had me going back throught the bazillion photos we've taken over the last 8 months. I had posted a pic back in the 'heard any good jokes' topic, but ok, since you asked (twist my rubbery arm).

Her name is Ava, and its a wonder I get into the garage at all. Whatching her grow is amazing. First pic is back when she was 2 months old. the second is current.
Attachment:
-8609 (2) (2000x1428).jpg
Attachment:
IMG_0842 - Copy (2000x1333).jpg
I'll have here in the garage real soon! Uh oh, Gotta go, getting heck for being stuck on the laptop instead of helping pack. We (all three of us) are heading to Miami to go on a little cruise for our 10th anniversary. Back in the garage next week.

Chris

Oh and Rod, that dash is sweet!! Nice work.

PostPosted: June 4, 2011, 9:59 pm 

Ava, good name. Movie star back in my day named Ava. Real beauty. Ava Gardner. Also, condrads on the new team. I'm sure you know to what I'm referring. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next