LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: KIWI SLOCOST
PostPosted: June 17, 2011, 10:46 pm 

Hi guys Dave here from down under..was gonna build a locost from scratch .. but luckily wayne from http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/ had a spare frame so i brought it..its set up for a 3.8 holden v6 and auto with holden disc brake rear end..as you can tell from the name ive been following JD'S build and having the odd chat with him..its not gonna be a road car ..just a fun track car .We are thinking maybe Mitsubishi evo 4g63t..not sure yet..well in the pic is the car and S.W.M.B.O or Carrie for short ..Frame has been widened in the cockpit area with a standard nose..one problem i have seen right off is the lack of foot room as it was set up for brake and throttle pedals only.but will be able to alter this if we go with the Mitsubishi

cheers for now :cheers: Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by laserracer on June 18, 2011, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KIWI SLOCOST
PostPosted: June 17, 2011, 11:33 pm 
Toyotaphobe

She's sitting on the wrong side. Put her on the right side and see how much pedal room you have. Typically the passenger side has less foot room than does the proper side.

:twisted:

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 3:27 am 

she is on the right side :wink: ..oh you mean the left side which is the right side ..but how can the left side be the right side..when the right side is the right side.. :? maybe i should just make it a single seater center steer :lol: ..What ya think about using evo motor ?anyone else using one ?

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 10:01 am 
We are Slotus!

"Kiwi Slotus Dave" wrote-
Quote:
she is on the right side ..oh you mean the left side which is the right side ..but how can the left side be the right side..when the right side is the right side.. maybe i should just make it a single seater center steer

Oh Dear Lord, I've gone cross-eyed!!! :ack:

Yo Dave-
Welcome to the builder logs! Good on ya, let's start building that Slotus! And put the darn steering wheel on whatever side you want. From my perspective, y'all are mostly upside-down to begin with, so left or right doesn't really matter! :lol:

I'm not aware of anyone using that Mitsu Evo motor you mention, but there's a lot of builders in here, perhaps somebody has done it. The pedal box and tunnel might need some re-engineering; if you go with a manual trans as opposed to an auto, there may be some room to be gained if the manual is narrower than the automatic. Did you intend to switch trannies when you switch from Holden to Mitsu power? Perhaps not? For that matter, it may be that the automatic will allow you to cut down the tunnel width. I wouldn't cut any chassis tubes quite yet, but just something to keep in mind.

Glad to see that Miss Carrie is taking part. So far, she's doing great as a test pilot. Can she weld??? :lol:

Good luck with the build, and keep us posted, Sir!
Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Last edited by GonzoRacer on June 18, 2011, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 10:29 am 
We are Slotus!

Dave also said:
Quote:
ive been following JD'S build and having the odd chat with him..

Just to clarify... Folks from your hemisphere use that word "odd" to mean "occasional" or "every once in a while"... Right? You didn't mean to imply that our conversations were "odd" - as in weird :shock: - did ya? I mean, just because we might discuss stainless steel underwear, that's not "odd" is it? Doesn't eveybody talk about stuff like that? :lol:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 11:40 am 
Toyotaphobe

laserracer wrote:
she is on the right side :wink: ..oh you mean the left side which is the right side ..but how can the left side be the right side..when the right side is the right side.. :? maybe i should just make it a single seater center steer :lol: ..What ya think about using evo motor ?anyone else using one ?

My head, she assplode!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 4:27 pm 

JD you may have to tell me more about that.. GOAT :shock: thing, sounds kinda odd..or was that kinky.. :) nope not keepn the auto will be 5 speed manual ..the bellhousing tunnel is absolutely huge.. so there may be some gains to be had with narrowing it abit making more foot room..Failing that.. the driver may have to lose a leg..or we make teenyweeny pedals and shave off half of drivers feet :shock: ..As for miss carrie.the only thing she can weld.. is her mouth to my ear.. :ack: doesnt even need a welder to do it...WOW its kinda hard typing when you are upside down..as for pouring coffee forget it just keeps falling out the cup
:cheers: Dave

Last edited by laserracer on June 18, 2011, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 4:36 pm 

laserracer wrote:
maybe i should just make it a single seater center steer :lol:

You might as well, after a few quick high speed blasts around the block she probably wont want to ride with you anyway. :lol:

Al

PostPosted: June 18, 2011, 4:47 pm 

RIDE she wont be ride'n ..hows she gonna ride and PUSH :shock: at the same time ..maybe i will let her ride when we have an engine
but up till then she's strictly a pusher..mind you..she's slow on the hills..i almost had to get out to help..but thought.. naaa
i even waited at the bottom of the hill so she could push me up the next one .. :lol:
:cheers: Dave

PostPosted: July 10, 2011, 1:06 am 

Ok.. hey guys just got a 3.8 holden v6 for the frame..its not much to look at.. but hey it was only $60..am also in the process of building an engine crane..so gonna have to finish the crane first so i can lift the motor off my trailer and into the frame
Then a motor rebuild
:cheers: Dave kiwi slotus

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2011, 8:06 am 
We are Slotus!

WOOHOO!!! Way to go Dave! :cheers:

Good job scoring an engine for 60 bucks. Does it run? (Or did it, before it was removed from it's former resting place?) Even if it needs a total rebuild, that's a great price.

And it'll probably make the Kiwi Slocost move significantly faster than a goat cart... :shock:

Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

Your American Cousin-
JD

PostPosted: July 10, 2011, 4:40 pm 

Just to set the record straight. ANY side she's on is the RIGHT side. I suspect you already know that. :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: July 10, 2011, 5:03 pm 

Yep she was a runner out of a crashed car..oils clean ,so heres hoping
:cheers: i gotta agree she can drive on any side she likes..she's always right :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: July 31, 2011, 12:25 am 

OK dont laugh i know it looks hillbilly but hey im a tight arse and i wasnt buyn one.Its made out of a bottle jack some spare steel and the base of a medical hoist also a steel tyre wedge...and hey it works lifted the 3.8 v6 off the trailer and into the garage..man i was [PooPooing] bricks the whole way ..lol...next project is an engine cradle

PostPosted: July 31, 2011, 12:26 am 

Start of the engine cradle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next