LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 2:34 pm 
We are Slotus!

krepus wrote:
1.5 liter 3 cylinder making 255 hp? Holy crap....

Yeah, what he said! :lol:

It's got to be "peaky" as all hell, or else it's a hand grenade... :?: :?: :?:

:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 2:45 pm 

Imagine the potential there... a 510 hp twin supercharged 3.0 v6....? Lol! I'm done... :mrgreen: :cheers:

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 2:52 pm 
We are Slotus!

krepus wrote:
Imagine the potential there... a 510 hp twin supercharged 3.0 v6....? Lol! I'm done... :mrgreen: :cheers:

Why stop "half-way"??? A 1020 hp, 6-liter :shock: quad supercharged V-12! I'm over-done... Or half-baked... :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 4:37 pm 

Now those are pushing ww2 fighter jet numbers... lol!

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 5:59 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
1.5 liter 3 cylinder making 255 hp? Holy crap....

That doesn't sound all that unreasonable. If you take a Cosworth BDA as an example, they are 1600 cc and about 225 HP. Very simple technology and they are good for about 10-15 hours of use in a Formula Atlantic on a track. That Rotax engine probably doesn't spend much time at it's power limit. I used to water ski behind a 75 HP boat, so I would think that would be pretty exciting on a Jetski. Since this has a supercharger, the cams might be milder. I think many engines these days have high quality internals that wold have been unusual in the days when the BDA was the cat's pajamas...

Are any of these larger 4 cyl jetski motors available at anything like a reasonable price?

Kawasaki 15F looks intersting, water cooled I4, 1500cc and 160 HP. It has a semi-dry sump for lower crank so might fit well in smaller locosts and sevens. Also water cooled exhasut manifold, so it might be easy to keep the noise down.

Compare to a Zetec/Duratech which generally takes some parts like cams to get to the 175 HP as sold in some seven type cars, which aren't actually dyno'ing at that number... I don't thing the jetski engine would have any low end problems at all in a locost...

Not sure I understand the gearing problem? It should run like a street car motor, but you have the option of running higher speeds before shifting on the track or at an autocross, that seems to be what you want.

edit:
That's funny I forgot the original subject after the Rotax comments and started searching for prices on used engines and came to the Kawasaki without noticing it was the same thing. It said 160 HP on the review I looked at though...

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 6:19 pm 

Don't forget engines from outboard motors, which are always made very light and compact.
These are now available up to 350 Hp !!

And they are built to run continuously at full load wide open throttle.