LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 20, 2011, 2:31 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Okay, let's shoot for a little later in the summer. In all of my executive authoritah, I'm proclaiming Saturday, August 20, 2011 as the date for the next Lexington Locost Lounge!

Sound off here (or PM if you're bashful) if you expect to be there. Also let me know THIS WEEK if you can't. If this date is bad for most everyone, I'll change it, but would only do that before next week.

-dave "advance warning system activated" hempy

ps. Jack - Are you coming to Lexington (KY) regardless this weekend? If so, I'd be game for a blat or whatnot regardless. And if so, anyone else is still welcome to come, but they're not getting a LLL patch for it!

pps. I'm resetting the poll to include the date. Please vote again! (For historical continuity, six voted "I'm coming if at all possible", with no other votes cast. "I'm coming" is hereby declared the winner.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: July 20, 2011, 3:29 pm 

glasses - Check
ear plugs - Check
Gas - will need more
car - Check
weather - finger's crossed... I am reminded how it is often uncooperative when i come to lexington.
August 20 - Check, date reserved

PostPosted: July 21, 2011, 11:37 am 

dhempy wrote:
ps. Jack - Are you coming to Lexington (KY) regardless this weekend?
If the LLL is off, then I won't be in a hurry and may come in Saturday eve instead of Friday eve (I'm doing some press coverage of a motorcycle economy event tomorrow in Lexington OH and if I extend by a day I can shoot the awards portion on Saturday) but I'm definitely on my way.

I'll have over 3500 miles on the clock for this trip by the time I get to LexKY, so I may be a bit blatted out 'till Sunday anyway.

Gosh it's been hot. And humid. I've been taking the driver's side door off for local drives along the way, just to increase ventilation. I may have been spoiled by the original se7en/locost body, which provides a breezier ride.

PostPosted: July 21, 2011, 12:39 pm 

Jack, be careful out there... heat index for the next couple days is well over 100 degrees... 115 today in the Cincinnati area...

PostPosted: July 22, 2011, 11:12 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

JackMcCornack wrote:
I'll have over 3500 miles on the clock for this trip by the time I get to LexKY, so I may be a bit blatted out 'till Sunday anyway.

Heh...I didn't think about that! I guess another afternoon of driving doesn't quite have the appeal it did a week ago! Give me a shout if you get down here, and I'll drive YOU to dinner...in the airconditioned, leather-laden, power-adjustable seat of the minivan. ;-)

I see Lexington is about 5 hours from Lexington...I'd love to see you, but won't hold it against you if you've already got enough frequent driver points by the time you get to your first Lexington.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: July 23, 2011, 4:54 pm 

I made it! I'll give you a call this eve, Dave. An air conditioned minivan sounds quite appealing.

Will the full family be aboard? If so, I'd like to be seated in the non-screaming section, please.

PostPosted: July 26, 2011, 10:08 am 

I spotted you driving through Lexington this morning Jack. Small world.

Finished product: http://www.fawbush.org/images/2012_8_19_buggy/2012_8_19_first_drive_6.JPG

PostPosted: August 13, 2011, 12:25 am 

Would it be possible for a not-yet-started builder to stop by and take a quick look? I live in rural SW Ohio and have never seen one of these in the flesh and I'd like to see if I fit. Right now I'm leaning towards a 442 and Miata build.

Thanks.

PostPosted: August 15, 2011, 12:14 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Wow!!! Could it really be that the LLL is THIS WEEKEND?!? How did that happen? Time flies...

So, help me out with a headcount. Reply back to this thread (or PM if you're bashful) if you are likely coming. Of less importance, let us know what you're driving.

PostPosted: August 15, 2011, 9:36 am 

Dave, I'm in for saturday. If the weather holds i'll be there with birkin (how about the kitten's tail). if not i'll be there with my old beater.

cheers
paul.

PostPosted: August 15, 2011, 12:55 pm 

Count me in for this weekend! I'll probably be driving the S2000.

If there is interest or time, my shop is open for visits if you want to take a look at some tubes welded together with a few car parts attached sitting on jack stands that doesn't look like a Lotus 7. If you visited last year, don't get your hopes up, not a lot has progressed. :oops:

Personally, I would enjoy exploring some nice backroads around the area, but of course, that could depend on the vehicles that show up. I'll have an empty seat in my car for anybody that wants.

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 3:20 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Paul, James and I will have a big time!!!! Who else is in? Proper planning depends on a good head count.

-dave

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 3:35 pm 

I'd love to be there. I planned on it for about a year now. Unfortunately, you three will have to have all the fun. I cannot make it.

Have fun!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 11:07 pm 

Dave.
Do you have a time and rendezvous point yet?

paul

PostPosted: August 18, 2011, 12:13 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Been kicking around a few options. Leaning toward meeting at a restaurant (Tolly Ho's) or possibly at a cookout hosted by a certain Vespa of Lexington. You're our current longest-distance visitor (all the way from Louisville!)...what time would work well for you? I'm thinking 10 am, but it could be earlier.

I'm pretty sure I'll lead us through the Tail of the Kitten to lunch, then either one of my favorite routes back through Woodford Co (Versailles) (we drove part of it a few weeks ago, Paul), or maybe explore new territory through Madison Co (Richmond). Those routes run about 80 miles and just under 2 hours.

Alternately, if folks want to put a few more miles on, there's a great route through the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest Irvine, and McKee on 89. Something like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=lexin ... src=6&z=11

That's about 180 miles, and Google claims 4.5 hours. I haven't been on a lot of that, but I hear it's a great road.

Opinions?

-dave