LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2002 yamaha fz1 for BEC
PostPosted: August 23, 2011, 11:52 pm 

I've been on the lookout for a used R1 for my BEC book build... I ran across an 02 FZ1 local for a good price... low miles... I know the FZ1 has nearly the same engine as the R1 but the FZ1 is Carb and not FI.... will this pose any problems for a BEC build...

mega power is not my biggest concern... Im looking for a fun to drive and listen to engine.

PostPosted: August 24, 2011, 10:14 am 

the FZ1 is a good running bike in stock configuration with the carbs so it shouldnt chance much going into a BEC. My .02

PostPosted: August 24, 2011, 4:57 pm 

Carbs would simply the wiring greatly, and as long as you're comfortable tuning them (or willing to learn), you shouldn't have a problem.

The peak hp will be down compared to an R1, but the FZ1 should still have plenty of grunt to get a BEC 7 moving. I would jump at it, if it were the right price. Typically, FZ1 engines are worth a lot less than R1 engines, so I'd only go for it if it was a good deal.

PostPosted: August 24, 2011, 9:39 pm 

I have zero experience tuning carbs... But I have a great deal of know how when it comes to FI... So I think some of the basics will carry over... I think it would aslo help as the fz1 engine has sidedraft carbs and not downdraft carbs or throttle bodys... That should help with bonnet clearance... I have a 3.53 ratio diff which should work well with the power and rev range. If I can convice the boss (wife) that I need this... Ill try to pick it up.

PostPosted: August 25, 2011, 4:42 pm 

The fz is only down about 5hp to the same year R1 and retuned for slightly more midrange so don't worry about that.I had an '01 fz and its a great bike with a great engine,the carbs are easy to deal with and tune with loads of info out there(fz forum).The only common problem with the carbs is the pilot jet(idle control) is very small and prone to plugging,I had to pull mine to clean them(hint-small guitar string is perfect for use as a pipe cleaner)but had 0 troubles after that.Just run some carb cleaner every few tanks as extra protection.
These carbs also work great for boosting through,I built a 4ag with a set fed by a td04 and worked very very well.

http://youtu.be/HjdvM3aS0TM

Fz vid,100mph is about 12 o'clock on the speedo.

http://youtu.be/CXRncYoJ42k

PostPosted: August 27, 2011, 3:42 pm 

Im going to go look at the bike tonite... its a damaged but rideable bike... I hope it works out and can get on with my build :)

PostPosted: September 27, 2011, 4:06 am 

i own and ride a 2002 fz1.and i have built a sand car with a fz1 motor.best thing for the motor is to get a carb rejet kit from ivan at rockland county cycle in new york.get the full exhaust kit.leave the stock airbox and modify it per the jet lit instructions.the stock oem jetting has lean spots .my bike runs like it has efi.also dynoes at 130hp at the wheel.ivan also has a kit to remove the exhaust air injection system.the bike has a electric fuel pump-it works good.if you decide to not use the stock airbox use some velocity stacks to get some length in the intake system.the guys with 1st gen fz1's that put pod filters on the carbs could never get them to run as good as the oem airbox.i would use a fz1 motor again-they are easy to install.

PostPosted: September 28, 2011, 8:07 pm 

If you want to save money(your building your car so I assume your cheap like me)just go the FZ1 website and look up the jetting thread by Raven.He tells you exactly what to do,you can buy the mikuni jets at pretty much any cycle shop for peanuts.

PostPosted: September 28, 2011, 11:42 pm 

I did end up buying a 2002 FZ1... just not the original one I looked at.. I have been on the FZ1 forum for a bit and it looks like Im really going to like this motor. Ive got the motor in the chassis and am getting ready to build some mounts. I will have to look into that thread by Raven.. thanks