LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HF OBD-II Reader
PostPosted: September 12, 2011, 11:16 pm 
Always Moore!

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii- ... 98568.html

They were on sale for $39.99 a few weeks ago but the local store never stocked them so they were issuing rain checks. They arrived in stock a few days ago and I have until Wednesday to pick mine up. I'm debating whether its worth it or not.

The reviews all seem favorable aside from the people who are surprised an OBD-II reader won't work on their OBD-I car. Has anyone used this one? How did it work (does it only show the codes or does it also show the actual fault - the manual eludes to it showing the actual code but you never know with HF and electronics)?

Post subject: Re: HF OBD-II Reader
PostPosted: September 13, 2011, 2:47 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I have a HF one similar to that (not as spiffy), and it is fine. It gives you a number, then you go look that number up in the paper manual or online.

More recently, I got a bluetooth OBD-II adapter for $25 on ebay. Pair it with your smartphone (Android, iPhone, etc.) and install Torque (free or $5). This gives you extensive info about the codes, shows you raw data, temps, fuel flow, speed, RPM, O2 readings, and some whack metrics I have NO idea what to do with.

I recommend this approach if you've got a phone (or laptop, etc.) to pair with it.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: September 13, 2011, 7:16 am 

A friend has a $1700 Snap-On OBD2 reader he bought a few years ago. All it gives you is the codes; you have to look them up in the booklets that came with the reader.

Of course, Snap-On prices have little relevance to "reality as we know it..."

PostPosted: September 13, 2011, 9:01 am 

I picked up the generic Chinese OBDII adapter for my laptop on eBay. It works great. Some of the "trial" software that comes with it does not work well. But there is other stuff available on the Net. I got it a couple years ago, before the bluetooth version came out. Today, I'd go for the Bluetooth. I may purchase the bluetooth one anyway. Depending on the software you choose, it gives full info on faults and pending faults. No looking up fault codes required. It is all self contained in the software. It will readout live operating info such as RPM, air temp, coolant temp and a bunch of other stuff. It can easily reset the Check engine light. It will even tell you if the check engine light had been reset and the car has not run enough times to be sure there is no faults. Some Mfgr proprietary info beyond the std OBDII code may not be displayed. Purchasing the software from XYZ will activate more fields than basic info. But you can get by without the software "purchase" if you are of a mind to....

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 6, 2011, 10:16 pm 

Ive got the same one - Bought it when they were $40 - works as well as any other code reader I've ever used...

I've got a snap-on scanner with diagnostic abilities at the shop and unless you specifically need the extra capabilities, the HF scanner is MUCH easier and faster to use...

Danny