LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 14, 2011, 2:11 pm 

This is a great topic to read for a cheap approach to corner weighting the cheap ass way
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115689

$110 total into it, and accurate enough...

PostPosted: November 9, 2011, 6:15 pm 

i have same idea :) now found 440 pounds scales
to easy calculate can use
http://robrobinette.com/corner_weight_calc.htm
http://robrobinette.com/cg_height_calc.htm

PostPosted: November 10, 2011, 11:29 pm 
The voice of reason

I'll bet they say "200 KG" though! :) Extra credit for doing the pounds though. I wonder if the scales in England read in "stones"?

PostPosted: November 10, 2011, 11:59 pm 

yes they do,and funnily enough when i was young we would have to weigh in at rugby in stones ,then in kg's later on as things went more metric.Its interesting coming from a country that went from inches to metric we would automatically know how to convert metric to inches ,in the us hardly anyone can grasp the simplicity of the metric system but in saying that i wouldnt measure my height in mm but get pissed off watching someone measure something in inches as it seems like a long way of doing something easy.

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 12:08 am 
Toyotaphobe

wayne-o wrote:
yes they do,and funnily enough when i was young we would have to weigh in at rugby in stones ,then in kg's later on as things went more metric.Its interesting coming from a country that went from inches to metric we would automatically know how to convert metric to inches ,in the us hardly anyone can grasp the simplicity of the metric system but in saying that i wouldnt measure my height in mm but get pissed off watching someone measure something in inches as it seems like a long way of doing something easy.

The problem with metric is that we have no reference point. You can't say something is 55 mm and us have a concept if that is long, short, heavy or light.

It is simple to multiply by 10, but what are you multiplying?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 1:29 am 

Um, there is a reference point. In the case of distance measurement, the reference is the Meter.

Bushel, peck, dram, furlong, stone, pinch, league... what? Too much memorization, and none of it makes sense.

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 4:27 am 

if good understant, you are comparing something to standard sizes?

go to imperial-metric sometimes use google comands: "180 kg to lbs" "179 cm to inches"
some times use converter http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

p.s. Sorry confusion, I found the weighing scales 400 lbs, but looking 440 lbs

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 11:08 am 
Toyotaphobe

SkinnyG wrote:
Um, there is a reference point. In the case of distance measurement, the reference is the Meter.

Bushel, peck, dram, furlong, stone, pinch, league... what? Too much memorization, and none of it makes sense.

That's like saying we have a length or weight reference point of the color blue to most Americans.

Until you have an automatic internal basis for your thoughts or comparisons it simply doesn't compute. Oh, you can pull out a tablet or a calculator and convert it to REAL NUMBERS, but only then do you realize how much, how large, or how heavy it is. Until that time you have to stop reading or tell the person to stop speaking to you while you do the math.

Meters are like yards - only not really- and it takes 3.8 liters per flush, wait I mean per gallon. (I learn a little metric every time I go to a public restroom). The issue is that until we have some sort of internalization it's just greek and doesn't mean anything.

I glaze over when you guys start quoting mm in here. I simply don't have a clue how big a mm is. Oh, I've read it before, but it doesn't compute internally or quickly. If it's a measurement that I really want to understand I stop reading and pull up my converter on the computer and figure it out.

There's also the fear that if we change over to metric the manufacturers will use it as a way to stick it to us. When Coke changed over to liter and 2 liter bottles the cost per ounce went up cause they figured no one would notice or be able to tell.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 1:33 pm 

World map of countries not using the metric system.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u9EL9E0dz-8/TYoVqlTdS-I/AAAAAAAAPsM/b7aoUshphF4/s1600/Metric_system.png

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 1:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Thumper wrote:

That's supposed to magically change my perceptions and understandings?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 4:39 pm 

I bought a single digital shipping scale and roll the car up on three level pads and the same height scale. Then switch around to the other corners. It is a pain in the ___ but it seems to work.

PostPosted: November 13, 2011, 8:21 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Thumper wrote:

That's supposed to magically change my perceptions and understandings?

No, but it should suggest that, other than Burma, Liberia, and the USA, the rest of the world has managed to go metric without their heads exploding due to "lack of reference". I was in primary school (US: grade school?) when Australia changed to metric so I'm still a little bilingual in my head for measurements. At that age, I hadn't got to the point of having any well established internal referents for volume measurements so I don't have a particularly good sense of how big a gallon is (bearing in mind also that the US gallon is different to the one used elsewhere in the world!). I'm happy to "think" in litres or millilitres (and that wonderful congruence - 1 ml = 1 cc so a 1600cc engine is 1600 ml = 1.6 litre). For distance I used to bounce back-and-forth a little in my head between metric and imperial but, as I got to doing real work with materials, I stabilised quite nicely on metric. Area's? More metric than imperial (not that I have much need for area measurements). Land sizes are one of the few things that still occaisonally get quoted in acres here (but I also know that 1 acre ~= 4000 sqm i.e. 0.4 hectare).

Anyway, the point is people can and do change without causing the fall of their civilisation :) If the US finally just bit the bullet and changed, we might see less incidents like the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter.

Dominic

PostPosted: November 14, 2011, 7:56 am 

OzGecko wrote:
If the US finally just bit the bullet and changed, we might see less incidents like the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter

Dominic

There's been worse than that ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

PostPosted: November 14, 2011, 9:06 am 

Dominic[/quote]

There's been worse than that ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider[/quote]

Interesting read. Thanks, Russ

PostPosted: November 14, 2011, 11:52 pm 

A friend of mine was racing at Gimli on that day. Quite the story.