LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TEXAS BILDERS BEWARE
PostPosted: November 15, 2011, 5:45 pm 

Today was retry day for the 68A inspection in Conroe, It was a vastly different experience every one was friendly , the car was put on a car lift to inspect the transmission serial number. The inspection took about 30 minuets total.
The deceive did say, this time, that they don’t inspect many cars at the Conroe location, however he signed and stamped my 68A, and step one is completed, the next step is applying for the VIN number, I will give a full report when the process is completed.
Jim

PostPosted: November 15, 2011, 7:29 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Fantastic! :cheers:

The goals on each side of the table don't always conflict.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 29, 2011, 9:43 am 

My Locost project is now complete. The car is licensed and has a new Texas title. As it turns out the only bump in the road was with the Montgomery county auto theft task force and if you can avoid them I still think you should do so. However, if you have to work with them you will need serial numbers for the engine and transmission and proof of ownership of both. They will have to be able to see with their eyes the numbers, regardless of what paper work you have. And, I wish you good luck.

Step two was getting the VIN number. I first called the Beaumont regional office and the lady who answered gave me all sorts of incorrect info. I happened to have the name of a person in the proper office and when I called him he knew just what was required and was ever so helpful. I won’t include his name but if you are interested you can send me a PM or an email and I will help you all I can.

For the regional office you will need the 68A filled out and stamped by the law enforcement type. You’ll need form VTR 61 which you can get from the WWW. On it you will you make a short statement about how you built the car and what materials you used. The form must be notarized. You will also need some pictures of different stages of construction plus all of your proof of ownership paper work. The good part for me was there were no lines or any waiting and in about 10 minutes I was in and out with my new VIN. My car is registered as a 2011 year model because, as the regional office explained to me, the new Custom Vehicle Bill Signed Into Law has not been implemented at this time by DPS.

After die stamping the VIN into the frame, I called my State Farm agent and obtained insurance for the car. I went to local state inspection station which proved to be another painless process. The final step is the local county court house. You will need all the paper work gathered up to now plus a certified weight slip. I had my car weighed at a local sawmill. The county folks in Coldspring, for me, were helpful and the process was as expected. I am still unhappy at the way I was treated by the law enforcement personal at the first stage of getting the car registered and licensed.

I give my thanks again to Miatav8 for all of his help. This will close my posting but I still maintain Texas builders beware and I wish you all good luck.

JIM

PostPosted: November 29, 2011, 10:55 am 
The voice of reason

Please do stay in touch and tell us about your adventures and your experience with how your car holds up etc. It's great for the people still building to see a completed car and the occasional picture.

PostPosted: November 29, 2011, 11:32 am 

Jim, Congratulations on your eventual success!

Stories of you escapades are expected soon along with the videos to prove it. :cheers:

Still wish State Farm would have insured mine in Illinois, but that is a different story and I'm happy with Haggerty.

Chuck

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766