LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 4:54 pm 

KKyle, Discussion of C6 uprights, balljoints, etc. somewhere in this thread: http://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-br ... dle-9.html
IIRC the BJ's are pressed into the upright and one would need to have the appropriate taper built into the outboard end of UCA to accomodate. The continuation Scarab uses the C6 uprights and custom UCA's. The UCA's have a boss welded onto the outboard end of the CA legs that has the appropriate taper/length. Looks like this would be pretty straight-forward to fab.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 5:54 pm 

seattletom wrote:
KKyle, Discussion of C6 uprights, balljoints, etc. somewhere in this thread: http://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-br ... dle-9.html
IIRC the BJ's are pressed into the upright and one would need to have the appropriate taper built into the outboard end of UCA to accomodate. The continuation Scarab uses the C6 uprights and custom UCA's. The UCA's have a boss welded onto the outboard end of the CA legs that has the appropriate taper/length. Looks like this would be pretty straight-forward to fab.

Thank You!

PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 7:38 pm 

Wait... now im confused, I can use the upper ball joints with spherical heims then? As long as its a tight fit on the taper, I see no reason I cant. I'm thinking about using the upper ball joints because they are in perfect shape. Then using heims on the lower joint.

The suspension design is by far the most challenging part of the build. Milikens book hasent really helped much. The books have only helped with theory. I wish I could find some real world racing examples that have been proven to work. I know "one size doesnt fit all" but I'm basically going by rough dimensions from other builds on this site. I'm not good enough to use the suspension calculators i've seen either :shock:

PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 8:10 pm 

kingkyle wrote:
Wait... now im confused
Here's a pic of what I was referring to. This approach doesn't use an outboard heim joint on the UCA, just a machined boss to accept the tapered end of the C6 BJ. Hope this helps.
BTW, getting to know and love (or hate, as the case might be) Wishbone or someother suspension calculator is a worthwhile exercise. Those inboard CA ends have got to go someplace :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 10:46 pm 

cheapracer wrote: a Chev 3.8 V6 all iron (block and heads) is lighter than an all aluminium Nissan V6 that is only 3.0 for example. Take a look at my build ,i know for a fact that my nissan v6 is lighter than a pig iron chevy v6 and is miles ahead in terms of development ,and it will rev to 8 grand all day long while making 306 hp stock ,an easy 330-350 with a tune.
wayne-o

PostPosted: December 15, 2011, 10:27 am 

Thanks guys!

You'll be happy to know I'm pretty sure I'm back on the LS6!!! My friend and I were talking and I'd be stupid to not run a V8, it's worth the extra $$ to find a good transaxle solution.

PostPosted: December 15, 2011, 11:36 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I'd be stupid to not run a V8,

I don't think "stupid" has anything to do with it. What are the tracks your planning on running at nd how long are their straights?

PostPosted: December 15, 2011, 12:30 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
I'd be stupid to not run a V8,

I don't think "stupid" has anything to do with it. What are the tracks your planning on running at nd how long are their straights?

haha I didnt mean stupid in the way you think. My buddy knows me and knows what I went through with all my prior race cars. I raced and Evo and he raced an STI, we both learned all the issues related to racing a turbo car. My LS3 powered RX7 was amazing other then the oiling issues. The LS6 is in my opinion is the perfect motor for my application. I just need to figure out a good transaxle plan.

Plus the cool factor of a V8 is +100% 8)

The tracks I will be racing at most are
1. NJ motorsports park Thunderbolt/Lightining
2. Watkins Glen
3. Lime Rock (if I run mufflers)
4. VIR
5. Beavrun
6. Summit point

PostPosted: December 15, 2011, 5:06 pm 

is ls7 outside of your budget? as it comes with dry sump and is easy 550 HP+ with little work..

day job: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v723/turbolimac/portfolio/

PostPosted: December 15, 2011, 8:01 pm 

kikiturbo wrote:
is ls7 outside of your budget? as it comes with dry sump and is easy 550 HP+ with little work..

Yeah its about double what i'm looking to spend on just a motor. New they run about 15k, used around 7-8 :cry:

PostPosted: December 15, 2011, 8:19 pm 

LS3's with hot cams from factory look interesting.. the only question is how much more you need for dry sump.. as I would def. go for a dry sump for this build..

day job: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v723/turbolimac/portfolio/

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 2:28 am 

wayne-o wrote:
Take a look at my build ,i know for a fact that my Nissan v6 is lighter than a pig iron chevy v6

Pictures of your engine complete sitting on scales are failing to load ..

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 9:24 pm 

quote="chrisrobertson"]A couple of additional Nissan engines

RB25DET - 720lbs - sport compact car magazine Sept 2003 (complete swap for a 240sx)
VQ35 - 260lbs longblock, no intake manifold (weight on bathroom scale so probably lighter than reality)
VQ35 - 313lb longblock + intake manifolds (on a fairly accurate shipping scale)
VQ30 - 127lb shortblock
VQ30 - 315lb longblock[/quote]
then i found this..It weighed about 35 lb (15.9 kg) more than the aluminum engine, but was far ... In 1978, GM began to market the 231 as the 3.8 liter as metric engine sizes ... More »

Go to: Wikipedia · Ask Encyclopedia
Search for: Images · Videos d this..
This 3800 weighs only 22 lb (10.0 kg) more than the all-aluminum High Feature V6 that currently dominates GM's six-cylinder applications, despite being an all cast-iron design.
Off the just commodores website 170kg without accessories..so 374 lbs bare
The plenum on my engine is plastic and cant weigh anymore than 10lbs.

PostPosted: December 17, 2011, 4:37 am 

This is all that counts, engines on scales, all else is bulllshhit ..

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=59086

PostPosted: December 19, 2011, 8:24 pm 

Picked up a transaxle!!! 944T S2 9-u with the LSD!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next