LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Project
PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 4:42 pm 

Hi all. I've been reading through the site for some time now and decided to finally register. I've always loved the super7 and then when i learned about the locost, I was hooked completely.

Well, recently I came across a deal on a donor car that I just couldn't pass up. It wasn't anything like I was looking for, for a locost build, but like i said, i just couldn't pass it up.

It's a 2002 maserati cambiocorsa ... 4.2Lv8, dry sump, f1 style (6sp-paddle) IRS setup. initial appraisal of it showed that the body was twisted a bit, some broken suspension parts and a shattered disc/caliper. i figured on going to a smaller disk brake setup anyways so no big deal. i later found that a minor member on the front sub frame was broke as well as one of the engine mounts. this probably turned out to be a good thing as it probably saved the torque tube from any damage.

so, the plan is to build a bit of a retro 'birdcage' / locost ... I'm still very early in this. to keep costs down, (and to save up for replacement clutches) I'll keep the front engine-rear drive setup. I will ditch the front and rear sub frames in lieu of my own chassis. it's got a pair of beautiful seats but I'm not sure if i will use them. if i sell them and a few other maserati parts i might just be able to fund this project ;)
the only mods to the drive train will be on the exhaust side of it. i figure 400hp is plenty. suspension and chassis still to be designed.

anyways ... great forum you guys have here! i hope i can contribute in some way. :)

Post subject: Re: My Project
PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 6:38 pm 

Sounds like quite a project. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 6:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Holy Trident, Batman! Now that's a DONOR!!! :shock:

I've never seen one of those Maser V8's in person, but I'd guess the cylinder heads are fairly large. In similar discussions of the Ford 4.6 DOHC engine, that has been presented as a problem with fitting one in a Locost style chassis... Not that I'm trying to discourage you, I think it'd be a heckuva build, and one I would love to see progress! Keep us posted, and please post some pictures!

Good Luck, and Welcome Aboard!
:cheers:
JD "I Stuck a V8 in Mine Too" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 7:31 pm 

Welcome aboard. I had to look up what that donor was. I ran across this thread http://www.faberfaction.com/index.php?id=25

Is this you?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 7:58 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My wife all but talked me into buying her one of those, until sanity prevailed. Nice car and would make a wonderful birdcage.

As I understand things if you'll maintain the track and wheelbase you will be able to leave much of the electronics intact which will be just that much less wiring to have to cut and splice.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 9:43 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Holy Trident, Batman! Now that's a DONOR!!! :shock:

I've never seen one of those Maser V8's in person, but I'd guess the cylinder heads are fairly large. In similar discussions of the Ford 4.6 DOHC engine, that has been presented as a problem with fitting one in a Locost style chassis... Not that I'm trying to discourage you, I think it'd be a heckuva build, and one I would love to see progress! Keep us posted, and please post some pictures!

Good Luck, and Welcome Aboard!
:cheers:
JD "I Stuck a V8 in Mine Too" Kemp

Thanks ... i was following some of those discussions about engine size. I have a few other limiting factors in my build because of my donor. my rear track width is set unless i get halfshafts made, and the distance from my rear wheels to the motor is also set unless i modify the torque tube and propeller shaft. we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 9:49 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Welcome aboard. I had to look up what that donor was. I ran across this thread http://www.faberfaction.com/index.php?id=25

Is this you?

It is. and that picture is pretty much what i'm going to be working with (minus the subframes)

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 12:35 am 

Sweet Mary and Joseph...that thing is gonna be AWESOME!

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 1:45 am 

you are aware that ferrari owns maserati right? .Ive worked on a couple of coupes with the same engine and they sound great! Pissed off comes to mind when you rev them hard,very cool,that thing is going to launch like a scudd missile with the electronic clutch set up in the heavy car is quite harsh but the paddle shifters are going to be awsome,youll think your in a f1 car! Please finish soon so I can hear it !

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 3:37 pm 

wayne-o wrote:
you are aware that ferrari owns maserati right? .Ive worked on a couple of coupes with the same engine and they sound great! Pissed off comes to mind when you rev them hard,very cool,that thing is going to launch like a scudd missile with the electronic clutch set up in the heavy car is quite harsh but the paddle shifters are going to be awsome,youll think your in a f1 car! Please finish soon so I can hear it !

it's my understanding that the only difference between this motor and the one in the f430 is the crankshaft.

did you work on those coupes as a mechanic? bodyman? ??

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 10:23 pm 

Welcome to the club! I have a drive-train from a Ferrari 360 Challenge car. The Ferrari's have a flat plane crank as opposed to the crossplane crank. Here's some miscellaneous pics: http://www.utahpace.com/forums/album.php?albumid=44 Make sure you have a good parts budget, the gasket set for that motor costs more than some of the cars on here, unfortunately I know this first hand.

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 11:17 am 

I work on high end cars doing both body and mechanical work,im always driving really fast cars ,last week I worked on and drove a bently continental gt with a twin turbo v 12 ..600 hp and a top speed of 198 mph,ive driven the ferrari challenge stradale and its pretty fast,its a lighter version of the 360,no carpet and light parts .The maserati does have the normal crank as most of us know it,the ferraris are a flat plane that sounds like 2 four cylinder engines running at the same time.Your car is going to be brutally fast and sound great .

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 11:53 am 

wayne-o wrote:
I work on high end cars doing both body and mechanical work,im always driving really fast cars ,last week I worked on and drove a bently continental gt with a twin turbo v 12 ..600 hp and a top speed of 198 mph,ive driven the ferrari challenge stradale and its pretty fast,its a lighter version of the 360,no carpet and light parts .The maserati does have the normal crank as most of us know it,the ferraris are a flat plane that sounds like 2 four cylinder engines running at the same time.Your car is going to be brutally fast and sound great .

Hopefully I'll be able to pick your brain when it comes time to fire up this beast. It's been sitting for a long time. Iirc, since 2003. I did hook a battery up to it so that I could move the seats. Everything powered up ok, the gear indicator said 4th and there was a noise from the tranny area like an electrical pump noise....coulda been the fuel pumps tho or maybe trying to shift to first/neutral?

I've been pouring over the diagrams at http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_cat ... model&I=53. Incredibly helpful!

I've torn apart a few cars but the quality of fasteners and electrical components on this thing is incredible. Every nut,stud,screw is consistently torqued and every relay is Bosch!

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 12:32 pm 

x19.driver wrote:
Welcome to the club! I have a drive-train from a Ferrari 360 Challenge car. The Ferrari's have a flat plane crank as opposed to the crossplane crank. Here's some miscellaneous pics: http://www.utahpace.com/forums/album.php?albumid=44 Make sure you have a good parts budget, the gasket set for that motor costs more than some of the cars on here, unfortunately I know this first hand.

Login/registration required to view.

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 3:26 pm 

IA599 wrote:
Login/registration required to view.

Sorry, try this one: http://community.webshots.com/album/582203770wwcdBg