LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 22, 2012, 1:47 am 

The 1st gen MR2 is at the top of my list of potential "just get something that already exists" cars. What bugs me most is that every report I can find indicates that the MR2 gets worse mileage than my 15 year old sedan that is faster, heavier, and has a much larger frontal area. That and I am far from a fan of the angular 1980s styling (1980s music however is awesome).

I am probably being unrealistic with my demands for a fun practical car. Every now and then I will almost convince myself to settle for something that meets 2/3s of my requirements but then I'll read an article about some kei car or new European roadster that has everything on my wish list except for being available here and I'll pull out the sketch pad, start pricing steel tube and aluminum sheet. Then I try to honestly evaluate whether I can build a stylish car body that has better aerodynamics than a MR2 or CRX.

But no matter how much I try to convince myself not to undertake such a project, I haven't been able to put it out of my mind for the last 15 years.

PostPosted: January 22, 2012, 7:39 am 

What body shape are you hankering for? Sleek looking old kit car bodies appear on Ebay as well as old Sonnets. I've often wondered about mating one of those to a tubular chassis.

Bill

PostPosted: January 26, 2012, 5:39 pm 

JustDreamin wrote:
For instance Feb 2010, we got 15+ inches of snow twice in 4 days (snowfall totals were in the 3' to 4' range for most parts near me). That's enough to park most anything.
JustDreamin

If you remember the 2'+ we got 7-8 years back... I was out in that dragging people on innertubes in a '94 AWD Talon... Just saying. :mrgreen:

Though a dsm doesn't really qualify for dd in any format other than fwd non-turbo, and even those are questionable. lol

One of the best year round cars I've had was a non-turbo '91 MR2. Used to drive it round trip weekly between NY and RI in the winter. On Blizzaks, it never even flinched. ~30mpg on regular, competent in the corners, fantastic sound cabin with some dynomat and common sense for the audio setup.

Downside can be maintenance. Some jobs are obviously more complicated due to the MR layout. In 5 years though, it was oil, brakes, filters, plug wires, and one alternator.

Like everyone else though. Subtract driver stupidity, apply good tires, and you're pretty well off.

PostPosted: January 27, 2012, 2:30 am 

How about a recumbent trike EV?

PostPosted: February 1, 2012, 3:36 pm 

Ok, after this long discussion, and my wifes nagging about the weather and how would I drive it during a Seattle rainstorm, she took the initiative and dug out pictures of the Lotus 7 GT and threw them at me, saying "see, they did come with a roof." So, now my half-built model appears to be becoming more of a practical car. As a result, just sourced myself an air conditioning unit/heater, originally designed for an EV. The whole unit is 27kg, which once I add the freon will go to about 33kg. Helps that the cabin is small.

PostPosted: February 1, 2012, 7:15 pm 

OK wait a sec :shock:
Downix wrote:
she took the initiative and dug out pictures of the Lotus 7 GT and threw them at me, saying "see, they did come with a roof."

:thmbsup: That's a keeper!

PostPosted: February 2, 2012, 9:32 am 

oldejack wrote:
OK wait a sec :shock:
Downix wrote:
she took the initiative and dug out pictures of the Lotus 7 GT and threw them at me, saying "see, they did come with a roof."

:thmbsup: That's a keeper!

When I met her, she sported a poster of an AC Bristol on her bedroom wall. Yessir, she is indeed.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 12:37 am 

I think this weekend I will be building a cargo bike and ordering a 1000w 48v hub motor for it. Should be pretty sweet.

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to- ... argo-bike/