LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 21, 2012, 5:58 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Come to think of it, I wish the gear spacing in my 3-series was wider too… Maybe it's just personal preference.

It's just something you want on the track basically. When you're trying to stay in the power band at the top of the revs - that's a narrow area so you need the close gears. On my FF you would want to stay between 5500-6500, for example. That's about %20. On the street you might want to stay between 1500-2500 or 1500-3000 and that's a much wider range so that makes you want the wide range ratios.

These are cars you want to be able to enjoy on the street if they are street cars. They can be great fun toodling along country roads with a picnic basket. You can actually smell the flowers when you go by.

PostPosted: March 29, 2012, 3:15 pm 

Hello again everyone,

I'm finally going to start jumping back into this project again, I have had a pretty busy last 3 months. On the bright side tho, I am now finally finished with my Mechanical Engineering degree and recently had my second interview with Roush Enterprises. If all goes well I will have a full time job and a funding source to finish my many other project cars so I can start building my locost finally.

killer_siller wrote:
Might I suggest a 2ZZ+T50 or 2ZZ+W58.

I'm shipping a 2ZZ bellhousing off to Bill Hinsher this week, who is casting bellhousings to suit the ZZ and A series engines to the W-series transmissions. I believe that a W-58 + 2ZZ would be a fantastic combination for a locost.

Killer,

I read somewhere that the honda K24 is nearly identical weight to the 2ZZ. The honda motor also has a much greater power potential, a decent N/A setup with a k20 head could easily do 250whp. Not that 250hp is really necessary, just that you might as well maximize power potential for your drivetrain weight.

I still havent set anything in stone yet design wise, but I am pretty sure about using the K24. It seems like the best choice for a car that will see probably more street use then track use. I really didnt want something that was very frantic, although for a while I was torn between a BEC or a normal setup. Duncan Cowper's Dax Rush was what initially turned me towards using a hayabusa motor.

PostPosted: April 1, 2012, 4:18 pm 

From what I understand, the 2zz and the w58/t50 are a popular setup "down under". Personally, I'd love it!

PostPosted: April 6, 2012, 8:52 am 

Hey guys, down under the most popular set up is the Toyota 20 valve and T50 or Type 9 Ford box the 2zzge and w58 is far too heavy for us, we like light weight packages down here easier to get around corners and to stop, t50 can handle power dont worry about that, cheers Greg :wink:

PostPosted: April 6, 2012, 9:15 am 

You can tell I don't get out much... Lol I thought I'd read a few threads about 2zz builds in Australia, with purchased adapters...