LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: censorship
PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 6:35 pm 

can we have a politics and religion section in off topic as it is a real good way to let off steam, if everyone takes it with a sense of humor that is.

it would be a bit like Steven Colbert

but we in it shall be remembered.

Post subject: Re: censorship
PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 7:01 pm 

...Because there aren't already enough places to argue with, and reasons to dislike, people on the internet?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 7:12 pm 

the idear was not to be serious but in a comedic sort of way, but i guess that your reply says it all doesn't it.

by the way a person can argue over everything, like the commer before the and in your reply, i'm joking

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 9:35 pm 

I am with DRIVEN. I hate coming onto car forums to just read peoples arguments, and politics and religion always cause arguments.

PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 10:12 pm 

Quote:
and politics and religion always cause arguments.

Even more than "Aluminum frames?", "Summary of engine weights", or "stainless steel chassis"? :lol:

PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 10:25 pm 
Always Moore!

john hennessy wrote:
can we have a politics and religion section in off topic as it is a real good way to let off steam

Sure we can have it. If anyone annoys me they get automatically banned forever (and be forewarned - politics really annoy me!) ;)

I won't speak for the other mods (I'm sure I can guess what they'll say) but I do not feel like dealing with it. I wouldn't get your hopes up on it happening.

PostPosted: March 2, 2012, 11:32 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
the idear was not to be serious but in a comedic sort of way, but i guess that your reply says it all doesn't it.

Satire is still criticism.

And I thought the "LocostUSA PUBLIC FORUM Guide lines" are pretty clear by stating, "Finally, please keep this forum free of unrelated political discussions as well, there are better places to debate such things."

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 12:23 am 
Toyotaphobe

In a section that is clearly labelled and you don't need to go if you aren't in the mood, then I say Why Not?

I would tend to trust political info more from you guys than MSNBC

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 8:51 am 

Quote:
In a section that is clearly labelled and you don't need to go if you aren't in the mood, then I say Why Not?

One personal reason is that I use the "View New Posts" function on a daily basis to keep up to date. Then sometimes I'll follow up with the "View Unread Posts" if I haven't been on-line for a few days. I seldom drill down from the main menu. I really don't want to sift thru the political BS and Religious stuff. There must be others who view this site in a similar manner. There are plenty of places on the 'net to both get and give that kind of useless banter.

Second, I don't want to think less of any builder because of his political or religious fanatical viewpoints. I'm sure that I would lean that way if I read some of their off-topic viewpoints that don't match my views. :D I'm just being honest here. I'd like to stay in my "happy place" and think "happy thoughts" about all of you guys and gals.

If I get a vote, I'd say no the the P & R Section.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 9:06 am 

I really don't think its necessary simply because of what ties our community together... We're all car guys and gearheads... We have a common purpose. There are forums for the "p&r" talk, debate, etc... And I don't visit them for a reason.

When newcomers visit our site, they don't need to be subjected to the type of negativity and conflict those type of threads spawn...

As mentioned above, there's enough friction between the V8 and I4 camps... Lol!
:cheers:

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 9:26 am 

I would prefer we not discuss religion or politics. I don't think we humans have progressed to the point where we could seperate our political or religious views from our car building views, unfortunately.

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 9:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Second, I don't want to think less of any builder because of his political or religious fanatical viewpoints. I'm sure that I would lean that way if I read some of their off-topic viewpoints that don't match my views. I'm just being honest here. I'd like to stay in my "happy place" and think "happy thoughts" about all of you guys and gals.

I'd go along with that sentiment. If I'd just had a "flame war" with some nutjob who condemned me to hell (See Y'all there!) for my fascination with livestock -for example- and then he posted something in his build log, I'd have a hard time being objective, or even cordial, about his build. Not a good attitude, I know, but that's how some folks are...

I do agree with the idea that the political views of this crowd are more trustworthy than some (most? ALL?) of the media, but let's leave it out of this forum. I'm happier without it, and IMHO, we're all better off without it.

Truth is, I come in here to get away from all the political male bovine excrement in the news. (HA! Censor THAT!) :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 10:35 am 

I have outspoken political views. I also spent 4 years in seminary, so I also have religious views. I'm not afraid to express my opinion. If some here want to discuss either with me, I'm glad to do that offline, or over a beverage in person.

However, this spot is, for me, a zone free of the angry (and usually, ill-reasoned) rhetoric that I get in other places. I'd love to keep it that way. I think that men (and women?) just need a place to be men who share an interest, free of such controversies.

I saw what happened this winter over at a certain Yahoo group when someone started a political flame war, and how that ended. I also look at the results when a TV network hires a commentator who is noted for his political views, or worse yet, when the broadcast tries to promote some political agenda.

The only exception I might grant is if legislation is proposed that would impact our builds, ie, new rigidity rules or some sort of emissions laws. And then I'd trust the moderators to keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 11:26 am 

nope.... this is forum is about building Locost in North America.

We have accepted people building locost outside North America
We have accepted people building other cars than Locost in North America
We have even accepted people who do not have any intention a Locost
We have accepted people thinking crazy ideas.
We have accepted almost anything related to automobiles.

Enought is enought... People the internet is big enought and diversified enought that this forum should remain about building locosts.. i.e. cheap replica of a Lotus 7 or for what the locost is a knock-off of a straight axle Westfield...

I guess a lot of people should spend time cutting, grinding and welding steel, than behind a computer keyboard.

Fred

PostPosted: March 3, 2012, 11:47 am 
We are Slotus!

Jawfish wrote:
*SNIP* We have accepted people thinking crazy ideas.*SNIP*

And I want to thank y'all for makin' me feel so welcome!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom