LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kony
PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 4:41 pm 

What part of this is political?

Post subject: Re: Kony
PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 4:46 pm 

Closing this topic is exactly why this whole mess exists..take your time and actually find out what its about rather than sweeping it under the mat,im quite pissed off that with all the mindless ramblings that go on here this got closed

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 6:32 pm 

I agree. I hate politics as much as the next guy, but this is more like current events. I don't think there are any sides to take here, and locking a thread is kind of a political statement in itself. If you don't want controversy, and I certainly don't, maybe having an off-topic forum on a car-related website isn't such a hot idea.

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 6:45 pm 

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 7:04 pm 

Hooray for trendy activism! :shock:

While I sympathize with this cause, in addition to ALL of the other under-appreciated life and death causes afflicting many millions of people across the planet, I'm sure there are plenty of other places on the intarweb in which to discuss this weeks social-media determined most important issue in the world...IBTL

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 7:33 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
im quite pissed off that with all the mindless ramblings that go on here this got closed

A couple of points I'd like to make here. First - this site requires effort by the mods and admins to watch it's content. This used to mostly consist of a dozen spams a day or so that had to be deleted and their user's banned etc. Nevertheless, when material like this is posted, most of our members can choose to read or view it when and if they want to. For the mods, not so much - someone has to do that. So you're basically tossing a small pile of work on someone else's plate without asking.

In of itself that extra work is not normally objectionable, even if it takes some effort. My impression from your statement is that you have not even spent the effort to read the followups and see that by the third post or so it had degenerated into material written more then a hundred years ago supporting the position that the USA is an unconstitutional welfare state.

I will say I did not appreciate being forced to review that material and I will not respond to it. It takes only the minutest opportunity or provocation to present itself and the discussion degenerates very quickly. Bad feelings from this ensue and cross over into other threads and soon the entire web site will have an entire further layer of material that just doesn't help the needs that we are trying to address.

Quote:
maybe having an off-topic forum on a car-related website isn't such a hot idea.

We have a large and diverse group of interesting people here. They are just not going to agree on every subject or issue. There are many things we can enjoy in an off-topic subject. MV8's recent comments on gardening were interesting and I still need to read up on apricot trees, because my peach tree is pest ridden. I remain hopeful that someday the "perfect hamburger" recipe will be posted because I know one of our members has it. Technically he may be required to kill himself if he posts it so it's one of those win some / lose some situations. :rofl:

If someone wants to host a site called "locostusa-woodshed" where people can go out back and beat on each, that's OK with me. I don't have the time :roll:

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 9:03 pm 
Always Moore!

To add to Marcus's comments, I get home from work and visit the site to unwind. The last thing I want to deal with is moderating and cleaning up is something political. This is a forum about building Lotus 7 inspired cars - a lot of other stuff is discussed but there has to be a line. For a long time politics have been taboo and I don't see that ending anytime soon.

Plus posting it on LocostUSA and debating it will do absolutely positively nothing to fix the problem. If you feel that strongly about it, write to your local congressmen and express your concerns.

We hate to be harsh but we have to draw a line somewhere.

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 9:33 pm 

This kony story will soon be everywhere ,i have nothing more to say about this.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 1:16 am 

wayne-o wrote:
This kony story will soon be everywhere ,i have nothing more to say about this.

I have lots to say about this, but I prefer to think about the possibilities of faux-carbon fiber verses real carbon fiber on my dash when I come here.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 3:03 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I prefer to think about the possibilities of faux-carbon fiber verses real carbon fiber on my dash when I come here.

:cheers:

Extruded carbon, glass and aramid fibers locked in plastic matrixes can produce impressive results. It's one of the places that as a practical matter you spend the most time looking at in your car. By far the highest level technology materials usable for this are produced by miniaturized, self replicating automatons producing linearized cellulose. They employ genetic algorithms to control their production and are tailored for specific uses. These materials are actually grown and then selected, graded and machined to be suitable for different purposes.

The biggest plusses are the excellent stability and rigidity for their weight, something that is very difficult for Carbon or Fiberglass to match. Then you add in temperature coefficients and temperature range issues they look better.

Lastly these materials have an ability that I think is completely unmatched. In a severe situation, when things are looking grim - you can actually rap on it with your knuckles and on occasion will be rewarded with good luck.

Nothing says classy sports car better then a nice wood dash...

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 3:16 am 

I thought we rapped on the wooden dashes in order to awaken the spirits that live in wood, that they would intercede on our behalf to the dark underlord, Lucas, Prince of Darkness?

(yes, I have wayyyy too much theological training, which I intend to use when I weld my frame somehow).

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 9:48 am 

I like looking at my real carbon fibre fenders on my real car im building,in my real workshop in my back yard..i myself dont live in a world of fantasy with etchascetch pictures and storys of what im "gonna do" one day..i find myself living and observing real day to day events and subtract my self from mindless ramblings like the 2 above me that consume alot of "time" in a moderators life.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 2:47 pm 

wayne-o wrote:
I like looking at my real carbon fibre fenders on my real car im building,in my real workshop in my back yard..i myself dont live in a world of fantasy with etchascetch pictures and storys of what im "gonna do" one day..i find myself living and observing real day to day events and subtract my self from mindless ramblings like the 2 above me that consume alot of "time" in a moderators life.
I sincerely hope you're a part of the <0.01% of people currently worked up by this video, who are still just as passionate about the cause when December 31, 2012 rolls around as they are right now. Of course the time you're spending trying to convince people on this non-political car site that this is a non-political topic which won't lead to negativity or personal attacks, through the use of negativity and personal attacks of all things, might be better spent lobbying your members of congress, putting up posters, and slapping a Kony 2012 bumper sticker on your car like any other political campaign.

I would HATE to imagine what this site would be like if only actual build progress updates were allowed. :BH:

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 3:22 pm 

I think people are missing the point.I have not discussed once what kony is about..that is up to the individual..they can take it or leave it,but as something bad is currently happening that needs to be available for everyone to see..remember..somebody else mentioned this ,not me..i did not start this thread,and im not really that passionate about it..i know that if no one knows about this ,then it will never get fixed.This is indeed a car forum,for people building cars,and just as people dont like reading things they arent interested in ..im also bored with people chewing the same ground up looking for some miracle that colin chapman didnt find.As this forum has a off topic area of discussion ,someone else thought it would be okay to discuss this,and i simply added my 2 cents worth.I am still baffled with people saying this is a political discussion,i must have watched a different youtube video than everyone else.Lets just squash this thread..forget this is going on..and we can all just carry on living our nice little lives.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 3:32 pm 

Except that you did start this thread, and the previous thread discussion did get linked further into the political realm from the original topic.

The original thread was simply locked from further discussion, which you seem to agree should not be necessary either. It was not deleted such that it even now is still available for anybody and everybody on this site to view and be made aware of. In fact JD was even quite understanding of the fact the thread could potentially push/blur some of this sites intended boundaries in the original thread he started on this. Especially considering the fact that it has over 65 MILLION views and is making national news headlines, I'd say anybody who hasn't seen it yet has plenty of access to it should they desire to do so such that a second thread about it or the locking of the original thread on this site was anything but necessary.

And if you don't like reading most of the postings on this site, maybe you should be back out in the garage doing "real" things instead.