LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: March 8, 2012, 5:27 pm 

Even in a Miata, there's barely enough room for a pair of Miata seats.

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 9:12 am 

olrowdy_01 wrote:
BrokeAssSeven wrote:
Wishful wishing:
But really, I have exactly 6" between the widest points on the seats...

Since the drive shaft is the only big thing in the back part of the tunnel (assuming the pinion flange isn't too far forward or too large in diameter) maybe you could have the tunnel taper down in width near the seat area? i.e. don't have the width of the tunnel constant from front to rear. You will have to allow a little gap for the seat belts to come up along the sides of the seats.

I might just be able to use them! At least for now.. until I get something I want more.
You must of had one loud "Vrooom-vrooom" session. The ceiling tiles are coming down!! :roll:

HAHAH. That was previous owner 'patch work' of the garage. I've got a lot of work to do.. but for now.. the Seven takes precedence. Mostly because the ceiling doesn't affect anything (you know, aside from fireproofing the rest of my house when welding slag goes awry bahaha). Some day.

This build is already locosting a fortune...

PostPosted: March 12, 2012, 10:45 am 

I'm glad I have a background in automotive wiring and electrical. Otherwise I'd probably just set this on fire, cut the frame apart and burn the build table. As far as the harness is concerned... the only way to go about it is to just go about it. Intimidation and fear will make this project last 4x as long as it needs to. I'm actually looking forward to doing it. Pages of electrical schematics, a good pair of dikes, a redbull (or 12), and a clear head will make this go easy breezy mac and cheesy. Mmmmm mac and cheeeeessseeeeeee.

Hey, look, a 50 lb rats nest!

PostPosted: March 12, 2012, 11:14 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
a redbull (or 12), and a clear head

Aren't those contradictory forces? :mrgreen:

It is quite an impressive lookin' rat's nest you gots there. Good luck with it!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 12, 2012, 11:38 am 

BrokeAssSeven wrote:
I'm glad I have a background in automotive wiring and electrical. Otherwise I'd probably just set this on fire, cut the frame apart and burn the build table. As far as the harness is concerned... the only way to go about it is to just go about it. Intimidation and fear will make this project last 4x as long as it needs to. I'm actually looking forward to doing it. Pages of electrical schematics, a good pair of dikes, a redbull (or 12), and a clear head will make this go easy breezy mac and cheesy. Mmmmm mac and cheeeeessseeeeeee.

Hey, look, a 50 lb rats nest!

I would start with Red Bull, switch to Johnny Walker Black, then just set it on fire and watch it melt. I HATE wiring. Glad you have the skills. Good Luck! :wink:

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: March 12, 2012, 11:40 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
a redbull (or 12), and a clear head

Aren't those contradictory forces? :mrgreen:

It is quite an impressive lookin' rat's nest you gots there. Good luck with it!
:cheers:

Hahah, yea, as I wrote it I was wondering the same thing...

Oh well, and that doesn't include the dash harness or the secondary harness for the passenger rear (i think.. it removed it a couple days ago.. forgot where it was). Luckily, this is a project for another day. Almost to the point of removing the engine in the Miata... otherwise almost 100% stripped. Then back to the frame!

PostPosted: March 12, 2012, 5:54 pm 
Toyotaphobe

[quote="BrokeAssSeven"
a good pair of dikes, [/quote]

Now you're getting into the spirit. Cars & Sex always a good combo!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 8:08 am 

carguy123 wrote:
BrokeAssSeven wrote:
a good pair of dikes,

Now you're getting into the spirit. Cars & Sex always a good combo!

HAHA! I actually spelled it 'dykes' at first... then I was like.. hmmmm I better check that. Too funny. I had a feeling someone would call that out :D!

I need to take some more pics and post em... the Miata is nearly stripped completely. Only thing left in the engine bay is the engine... only thing in the interior is the steering column, brake and gas pedals. I got the exhaust off last night.. now I just need to remove the driveshaft, disconnect the torque brace thing between the tranny and diff and the motor should be ready to come out. Thinking I might just cut off the front of the frame (where the radiator mounts since its destroyed anyway) to aid in engine removal... just hook up the cherry picker and lift/pull, done. For a second I was thinking about unbolting the front and rear subframes from the body and just dropping the whole thing out the bottom... but then I realized it would be a pain in the ass to get off the rest of the stuff if there is nothing really to jack up on haha.

Also, I hate when people use 4/5 locking/special lugnuts per wheel. Come on. If the person who's stealing them has the key for one of them, they will have the key for all of them. Why make it so frigging difficult.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 11:47 am 
Always Moore!

BrokeAssSeven wrote:
Also, I hate when people use 4/5 locking/special lugnuts per wheel. Come on. If the person who's stealing them has the key for one of them, they will have the key for all of them. Why make it so frigging difficult.

That isn't what Uncle Ron meant with the term "Locost" - you have to pay something (5 finger discounts don't count!) :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 12:00 pm 

BrokeAssSeven wrote:

My ex's Bonneville had such a locking nut on its wheels. As I recall, it didn't take too much to remove it -- in fact, it took much more time and effort to find a replacement decorative lug nut to replace it!

Kinda like locking the doors on a convertible I suppose -- you might feel better, and the insurance company might want it that way, but it hardly matters to the thief.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 12:07 pm 

a.moore wrote:
BrokeAssSeven wrote:

That isn't what Uncle Ron meant with the term "Locost" - you have to pay something (5 finger discounts don't count!) :mrgreen: :lol:

The key for one & all:

http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/1 ... 4000c.aspx

A couple light taps and it will pull any lock. People loose their keys all the time.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 3:08 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
BrokeAssSeven wrote:

My ex's Bonneville had such a locking nut on its wheels. As I recall, it didn't take too much to remove it -- in fact, it took much more time and effort to find a replacement decorative lug nut to replace it!

Kinda like locking the doors on a convertible I suppose -- you might feel better, and the insurance company might want it that way, but it hardly matters to the thief.

Haha, no it's not a big deal to remove them.. just a pain when they are every single lug nut. Since most of the keys are chincy and seem like they are going to break with every blow from the impact (probably will). I have the key for mine.. and they will all be thrown away as they come off the car. I don't play games, I just want regular old fashioned lug nuts. The locks that are on my car are much like a 3/8" socket, say. Internal Hexagon style. The key for it seems so ghetto, and they are super rusted on there. I don't want to, but if it really really comes down to it (the key breaks, and I can't fashion something up to replace it), I'll probably end up just blowing through the back of the studs and dealing with it later. I REALLY REALLY hope it doesn't come down to that. I'm gonna use my fancy 6' 'breaker bar' pipe on these bitches if I can't get it with my 2'. The impact isn't doing anything and I have the most powerful one that snapon sells. I'm surprised it's not just flipping the entire miata over, actually.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 3:28 pm 

If it's the most powerful impact snapon sells it should have snapped the stud off by now. You probably have an air supply problem. Most cheap regs don't flow enough for impact wrenches. If your pressure gauge is dipping below 80, ditch the reg and run straight off the tank. The gun will survive 140psi w/o a problem.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 3:30 pm 

Perhaps this should be its own thread, but...

Just how big off a compressor should we buy? I know it depends on what tools we wanna run, but if we figure impact wrenches, cutoff tools, nibblers and snips, powder coat guns and the odd spray paint job, what is the magic number here?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 4:13 pm 

IA599 wrote:
If it's the most powerful impact snapon sells it should have snapped the stud off by now. You probably have an air supply problem. Most cheap regs don't flow enough for impact wrenches. If your pressure gauge is dipping below 80, ditch the reg and run straight off the tank. The gun will survive 140psi w/o a problem.

It's the most powerful 1/2" gun you can buy, rather. Ala.. this guy: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

And I wasn't cranking on it long enough to snap the stud off. I'm more careful than that haha. Running off a 60gal, 240V, 3hp tank, pretty sure i've got my reg set to 90psi. Might turn it up, but will get lower SCFM, so we'll see. Hadn't thought of that, honestly. It stands nicely in my utility room (where it's annoyingly loud to the wife... oops), and I don't pay much attention to it. In fact, I need to do an oil change on that pig one of these days.

Geek, I've never had a problem running everything I own (includes at least one of each of those things you've listed... save for powder coat guns and spray guns), without any hesitation or running out of air at any time. Granted, my tank might (read: probably) be excessive for a normal homeowner, so I dunno. My parents have a portable 20-30gal tank that gets killed with an impact gun or constant running of an angle die grinder. Gotta sit there and wait for it to fill back up before using for extended periods of time. The one thing I was absolutely having when I bought a house was a big ass compressor for all my toys. Pretty sure it was the first big purchase, haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next