LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 19, 2012, 9:52 pm 

Before I get started, this is my first post. Glad to hop aboard! I've been wandering through the forums, glancing at what everyone is building out there. I'm not new to engines. I know terms and manufacturers, but I need a bit of guidence.

I'm aiming for a 4cyl engine but that seems to be the norm here. So which engine is the most popular in terms of hp vs weight? Or which engine is the most popular among builders? I've seen a few Ford Zetec builds and Toyota 4AGE ones. Just trying to get a feel for what's out there.

Thanks!

PostPosted: March 19, 2012, 10:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Throw us a bone and list what you want to do with the car.

PostPosted: March 20, 2012, 4:04 pm 

While there are other options, if you're looking to go the single donor route as a means of simplifying and expediting the build process, the Miata is hands down the most popular, the best documented, and generally just the most logical choice. On the other hand if you're open to a piece meal build, the sky is the limit. As far as that goes I'm somewhat partial to the Duratec out of the Focus/Ranger, which seems to be growing into one of the more popular options. However there are proponents of just about every engine out there, and each with their own entirely valid set of reasons for feeling the way they do. Really you just need to lay out your desired goals for the car which need to be compared against your time, talent, and treasury.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 20, 2012, 4:21 pm 

I would not narrow your choice to one motor. I think you should select three or four donors that would work for you then wait and see which one come up in the price range that you can live with. I did know why but it always seems like right after buy something like a donor car that within a short time a much better deal comes up for a lot less. Don't be in a hurry, you are not going to finish this project by the summer. Just wait and see what comes to you. Start the planning and budget stage, plus looking for the additional tools and equipment that you will need.
DaveW

PostPosted: March 20, 2012, 5:00 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
On the other hand if you're open to a piece meal build, the sky is the limit. ....
Let's hear it for piece meal builds!!

You can always work around a source! I'm a VW nut, so I decided I was using a water-cooled VW engine. Not the easiest task in the world considering they are all front wheel drive.

I ended up using a VW lump, a Toyota trans mated to a Subaru rear end. Talk about a mutt! But other than the flywheel it's all been a direct bolt up affair.

If you know engines, pick what you know and can work with the best and go out from there.

If you don't care and just want a donor, I'd go the Miata route and after getting some drive time determine what changes you'd like to make. Go with a +442 and you'd be able to fit almost anything into it later!

Welcome aboard and happy building!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 20, 2012, 6:36 pm 

How long are you planning on taking to build? If you asked that question 10 years ago, I doubt that you'd get the same answer. I also doubt the answer would be the same 10 years from today. Most of us go with what we know. If that is an Alfa then we go with that. If it is a Chevy S-10, then the answer could be that. etc....ect....etc.... Or we go with what we already have. If we have a Chevette then we go with it. If we have a Toyota MR2 then....etc...etc....etc. I went with the rotary engine to learn about it. Never had one and probably never will again. Not that it was a bad choice, why do the same thing over?

If you don't have a preference for engines and don't already have a donor, you can't go wrong with the Miata. A lot of the Miata parts are useable and what you don't use, you can sell off. Some have broken-even after buying a Miata, taking the running gear and selling off the rest.

This type of question is like asking what is your favorite color. There is no wrong answer.

BTW, welcome aboard. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 20, 2012, 6:51 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
Miata is hands down the most popular, the best documented, and generally just the most logical choice.

There's your answer. Although I'm not sure what logic has to do with building a Locost

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 10:19 am 

I like the nissan family, using hardbody solid axle, front spindle & brakes, etc, but a more powerful car motor instead. even though they are 6 lug, they are close in size, weight to miata. cheap is good for me.

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 1:38 pm 

Nice to go outside the box. I decided to go with the Volvo since I couldn't find a decent Alfa donor. That being said there are many options. Miata is tried and true but is same old same old at this point. Done again... I don't know, my next car will be rear mid-engine.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 6:47 pm 

Don't be too quick to dismiss tried and true. If this is your first Locost, you will face many challenges that can potentially derail the project. Using what's been done before and what's been proven to work will increase your chances for success IMO.

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 8:38 pm 

rome wasn't built in a day and it wasn't romans that built it, it was slaves from all over the known world, just like a locost, it takes three times as long to build as you think and uses parts from many sources.

because you are not working to a deadline, the work expands to fill the time available, the rest of your life.

when you have built it, that won't be enough because you will, like many who have built, start by saying "if i were to do it again" and off you go on the next one!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 10:35 pm 

I called first dibs on the motor when the next Star Mazda crashes. Rotary, about 250 hp, but there are rumblings that a turbo version might be possible.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 11:29 pm 
Toyotaphobe

john hennessy wrote:
rome wasn't built in a day and it wasn't romans that built it, it was slaves from all over the known world,

Nah Unh!! The only slaves ever in the whole wide world were in America at the time of the Civil War and Lincoln made it illegal in the whole universe to have slaves.

Shhhh! I've almost got my wife believing the second part which is buying me a little more ME time.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 24, 2012, 11:50 pm 

At one time we were discussing how to use this 109,000 HP @ 90 RPM engine! :shock:

Welcome to the group.

PostPosted: March 25, 2012, 1:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

The OP needs to get more involved in this thread other than one post.