LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 12:16 am 

Stupid me- I went out to the wrecking yard (a favorite pastime of mine :lol: ), and I left behind some odd wrenches and sockets... now I can only work on anything that doesn't require a 10mm wrench or an 11/16 - 1/2" drive deep socket :roll:

Having said that- have you found a website/source for the random missing tools that you've lost over the years? I don't need new or even Matco or Snap On, I just need a few things without having to buy a whole set.. As you can imagine- as economical as possible is what I'm after..

btw- I don't go to swap meets very much anymore, but when I did I could always find one or two 'tool guys' that had used stuff super cheap..

thanks

ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 8:42 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, CC-
The local Sears store in the mall here has individual sockets for sale, as well as extensions, ratchets, etc. They're not always the cheapest, but they're not junk either.

I don't know your location, is there a Sears near you? If you're currently thinking, "Komrad, vhat is this Sears?" then never mind, sorry... :oops:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 8:52 am 

Pawn shops are good places to visit when you need onesie twosies.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 11:29 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, CC-
The local Sears store in the mall here has individual sockets for sale, as well as extensions, ratchets, etc. They're not always the cheapest, but they're not junk either.

I don't know your location, is there a Sears near you? If you're currently thinking, "Komrad, vhat is this Sears?" then never mind, sorry... :oops:

+1.
Just keep well away from the cheesy places with their $9 socket sets. Those are guaranteed to break knuckles.
After I was burgled a few years ago I decided that I would make the switch to Craftsman and haven't regretted it at all.
Of course Proto isn't available anymore so getting the same brand was out of the question. .. I'm quite happy with the performance and feel of Craftsman stuff.
So that's my recommendation based on personal experience.

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 1:30 pm 

I have found the tools at the local Do It Best hardware store are decent quality. Maybe not very cheap, but definitely not junk.

Bill

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 2:40 pm 

oldejack wrote:
Just keep well away from the cheesy places with their $9 socket sets. Those are guaranteed to break knuckles.

I dunno, everytime I use my 1/2" drive socket set that I got from Lowe's, I end up with an entirely new set. I think I'm on the 4th set now, all for $19 original purchase price?

That 17mm socket ALWAYS splits....

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: April 1, 2012, 2:00 am 

craftsman ratchets have always given me trouble. I can't count how many of the 3/8" ratchets I've stripped.

In IA we had a place called "Retool" it was like a Play-it-Again sports, but only tools.

If you don't have one of those we should start a 'tool-trader' forum. I have the odd spare socket & wrench I would happily trade for the stuff I'm missing (including an 8 & a 10mm Snap-on combo wrenches)

PostPosted: April 1, 2012, 7:04 am 

www.mcmaster.com

i buy most tools, materials and hardware there.

PostPosted: April 5, 2012, 5:38 pm 

IA599 wrote:
craftsman ratchets have always given me trouble. I can't count how many of the 3/8" ratchets I've stripped.

I've stripped (I think) four of them over the years. Three of them were replaced by Sears on the spot. The other one was an older style, and they handed me a kit with new internals from under the counter. As a hobbyist, I've been satisfied with Sears/Craftsman tools I've owned.