LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 6:25 am 

carguy123 wrote:

For my tastes it could use a little more roll over protection. If you look back to the pic of him driving into the event you can see he is pretty exposed compared to an LMP race car.

..ironically said on a Locost site!

Carguy, thanks for the effort, much appreciated (and inspirational) :cheers:

Another of Mr Carter's cars..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 11:33 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I forgot this past weekend was Easter and that meant that while I got to go to Cars & Coffee obviously, I couldn't go look at the CVTs, BUT I have arranged some play time with a big Polaris 4 wheeler this next weekend where I will get to drive it hard to see about those no engine braking issues as well as tear it down almost to basic parts.

That's a much better deal than the Dealer would have allowed me to do.

Looking on the internet for small automatic car transmissions while I'm waiting and it seems the Mitus have a small automatic. I need one that puts the engine on the passenger side.

Does anyone have an input on a lightweight auto tranny that might be better. Whether that means tougher, more easy to manually control (or at least stay in the gear you put it in), a way to control it without a computer or any one of probably 100 other issues I haven't thought of yet?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 12:14 pm 

I don't know what your requirements are but early model Civics and Accords (1970's 1200 and 1500) use a 4:1 converter over a 2 speed box, very small and very light (the Honda 750 Auto motorcycle also used similar but one speed). You drive with lots of TQ stall in either 'D' or 'L' which you can manually select on the go (does not change gears automatically). Kind of sounds like a CVT when you start off.

This would be a run in 'L'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y6w61k4wDw

Oh hang on, minor problem, those Honda engine's ran anti clockwise.

PostPosted: April 19, 2012, 2:53 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've not just been sitting on my laurels (man are those itchy, especially when they get in your underwear), I've actually been working on trying to get my hands on a CVT.

I finally got to look at the Polaris version and it gets confusing under the skin, but after cogitating for a while I think it appears that the CVT part is nestled on the side of their engine and then converts the action to a drive shaft rotation which then attaches to their version of a Spicer rear end.

I didn't figure that out until the day after I looked at it. It sort of came to me in a dream, or at least when I woke up that's what I thought.

That would make it easy to use, but I still haven't been able to hook up with a Polaris mechanic who knows anything to see what capacities might be.

If I could just do things when I wanted to things would go much faster.

I'm not sure how this got in this thread, I swear I started another thread, which I now can't find and a search puts me here. Oh well . . .

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.