LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering parts questions
PostPosted: February 10, 2012, 10:43 pm 

I've been lurking around for a while, planning what I would like to do. Reading as much as I can.

I had a 1991 Toyota Pickup (22RE) 5 speed offered to me at a price I could not pass up.

Ok, on to the questions (sorry if these have been asked before, I have tried searching, but I have not had any luck)

1. The truck does not appear to have rack and pinion steering, so I'm going to need a steering rack. What's most everyone using? I assume Miata's are common as they seem to be one of the more complete donors, but require converting from power steering. If I'm going out of my way to buy one are there any manual racks that are worth looking for?

2. Since the truck does not have rack and pinion steering is the steering column still usable?

PostPosted: February 10, 2012, 11:34 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Neil-
Yes, the Miata rack is quite popular, and fairly easy to get. You might also look into Mustang II/Pinto racks (or clones thereof). Toyota racks from other models (Corolla?) would work as well. In other words, almost any... Depends on your budget, and the width you need to go with your front suspension.

When you say "steering column", do you mean the part inside the cab, or are you really referring to the steering shaft, which connects the wheel to the rack? The steering wheel end of the shaft should work just fine in a Locost. Without seeing the other end, it's hard to say if it can adapt to the rack. However, when ya gets down to it, the shaft is really just small diameter tubing with u-joints as needed. I used 3/4 X .120 wall DOM tube for mine, with u-joints from Speedway. So, hang onto the column for possible use inside your car and the shaft as well. They might work for you, but if they don't it's not a deal-breaker.

And, Welcome to the Forum!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Last edited by GonzoRacer on February 14, 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 4:59 pm 

As I recall, Speedway sells Pinto/Mustang racks new for about $130. That's pretty hard to beat.

John

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 5:56 pm 

If you use a MIata rack, why not use a Miata column as well? If you use a MIata column, you will probably have to extend the length. Just cut the shaft between the two u-joints and insert a tube over the two ends and weld it.If the original column used a recirculating ball or similar steering gear, it will be more work to adapt.

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 7:32 pm 

pacific customs sand rail rack,the large one, then assorted adaptors from midwest controls to extend or bias the pinion to one side or another, add heim joints (chrome moly) for the ends also from mid west.

the column can be modified, look again at pacific customs or speedway,they have plain, splined and double "d" chrome moly shafts.

they also do support bearings and universal joints also steel or aluminum swedged shafts for the track rods.

note; make sure that the column will fold up at various points (universal joints) to avoid spearing yourself if you have a front ender.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 1:52 pm 

Which rack are you taling about http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC425152.html? What do you meen 'then assorted adaptors from midwest controls to extend or bias the pinion to one side or another'? What kind of adapters? I don't understand how you would move the pinion to one side or the other. Just wondering if anyone else has used one of these racks in their build. Any pro's/con's to using these? I have been looking for a rack for my build and these seem to be the easy way to go.

john hennessy wrote:
pacific customs sand rail rack,the large one, then assorted adaptors from midwest controls to extend or bias the pinion to one side or another, add heim joints (chrome moly) for the ends also from mid west.

the column can be modified, look again at pacific customs or speedway,they have plain, splined and double "d" chrome moly shafts.

they also do support bearings and universal joints also steel or aluminum swedged shafts for the track rods.

note; make sure that the column will fold up at various points (universal joints) to avoid spearing yourself if you have a front ender.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 7:13 pm 

i used various threaded adaptors from mid west, if you only add them to one end but the rack is still in the central position the pinion will be off set as will the rack body in relation to the hiem joints on the ends.

the threaded adapters can be screwed in or out to widen or narrow the rack to suit the chassis width.

insert TSJ10-8 into end of rack where fork end is wth loctite, add a 1/2"-20 plain nut to the stud end of SD-10F-8F, screw into rack, then add a 5/8"-18 plain nut to the fork and screw that into the adapter SD-10F-8F, this will add approx minimum of 2 1/2" to each side of the rack, this can safely be adjusted to 4' per side.

if you shorten the adapter SD-10F-8F on the hexagon, the 2 1/2" can be reduced to 1 1/2".

the above can be done semetrically or on one end to produce a rack with the body and pinion off set to one side by 4"

now by placing washers at specific points you can make your own lock stops in the rack.

but we in it shall be remembered.