LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nick's MGB Build
PostPosted: April 15, 2012, 1:14 am 

I assembled my build table today and started tacking the frame together. This did not go nearly as quickly as I expected. I assembled the table in only half an hour but spent the next 6 hours getting it flat. Another hour to draw lines on the table, and another 4 to lay out the bottom tubes and clamp them in place. Finally I got out the MIG welder, and when I tacked the first corner I got this ugly, porous bead. Some kind of contamination, I figured, so I wire brushed the next corner really good and tacked it. Same ugly, porous bead. That's when it hit me I hadn't turned on the gas yet. Not a great start.

I ground down the bad tacks and started over with the gas on, and this time everything went okay, although it seemed like each tack took at least 15 minutes to set up. I ran out of time after tacking the top of the tubes, and just had time to flip the frame over and check it for straightness. Amazingly, it came out okay, but I'll feel better when the bottom joints are tacked, maybe tomorrow if I get the time.

PostPosted: April 15, 2012, 6:56 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Nick-

I know 'zackly what you mean, Bro--
Quote:
This did not go nearly as quickly as I expected
Yeah, been there and still doin' that! :BH:

Quote:
That's when it hit me I hadn't turned on the gas yet. Not a great start.
*Head Slap* Doh! :roll: Yeah, don't think I've done exactly that, but close. (Or maybe I've done worse... Hmmm... :mrgreen: Not tellin'...) Welcome to the club...

It's still progress, Mate, and good for you for getting things done. You're miles ahead of where you were this time yesterday... And got some great stories to tell when you're done. (Or not tell, depends on who's listenin'! :wink: )

Anyway, chin up, Old Boy! Carry on! And, no matter if you did forget the gas, WELL DONE!!!
OK, can I giggle now? About the non-gas welding, I mean??? :lol:

:cheers: Keep after it Bro, you're gonna be drivin' one day soon!
Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 12:25 am 

It's actually beginning to look like I'm building a car in my garage. The frame is going together amazingly straight, if not amazingly fast. Ordinarily when something goes this well I'm doing it wrong, but I haven't found anything yet. There's still time, though.

I guess I ought to clear off the table before I take pictures. I'm not a terribly neat worker but at least I usually know where something is when I need it.

This is all really encouraging. I'm almost starting to think I can actually do this. I have just about all the parts I need, and there don't seem to be any major obstacles anymore, except maybe the bodywork which seems kind of intimidating.

With all of these steel tubes starting to resemble a car frame, I had to try clamping on a couple of suspension bushings and attaching one of the lower A-arms. It looks so good I may just leave it on there for awhile.

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 1:44 am 

Good on you!! Looks like you're having fun and a great start to a good build. Mess is good, we once cleaned up our shop because the VP was coming to inspect the premises, he walks into our shop, looks around, and says "Don't these guys do anything around here??". That's the last time you'll see our shop clean!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 8:27 am 

Great job keep up the good work.

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 9:40 am 

I thought I was following your build? Where did the cool lower A-arms come from? Maybe I'm havin' one of those "senior moments"?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 10:17 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
This is all really encouraging. I'm almost starting to think I can actually do this. I have just about all the parts I need, and there don't seem to be any major obstacles anymore, except maybe the bodywork which seems kind of intimidating.

With all of these steel tubes starting to resemble a car frame, I had to try clamping on a couple of suspension bushings and attaching one of the lower A-arms. It looks so good I may just leave it on there for awhile.

Yo Nick-
Amazing ain't it? I remember walking around the Slotus frame and saying, "By Golly, I can do this!" (I was more amazed than anybody else, honest!) It's a good feeling... As far as the bodywork being "intimidating"... Well, wait till you get there, it won't look as tough by then.

And again, yeah, ain't that a cool feeling? Hanging the suspension on, even temporarily, seems like such a big milestone... It is a big milestone, one of many.

Folks always say "Keep up the good work" but in this case it's literal, you're doing good work, keep on truckin', Bro! :cheers:

JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 1:49 pm 

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement, it's greatly appreciated, along with the much-needed advice. When I finally finish this thing, you guys will get a lot of the credit.

Lonnie, the A-arms were just about the first thing I made, way back on page one of this thread. I cut and fit all the pieces, but had them TIG welded by a friend who happens to be an expert welder. I just wish he lived closer.

PostPosted: April 22, 2012, 12:04 am 

Latest photos. This is getting more encouraging all the time. I'm also learning a lot about welding, including things like replacing the little copper tip when the wire stops coming out. Not something they taught us in class. Tacking is fun, but every tube takes a lot of setup now, especially if it doesn't quite fit and has to be sanded down. I'm looking forward to the day when there are no more tubes to add and I can weld all the joints. That'll be fun. The frame is very sturdy now, it should be rock solid after welding.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 8:13 am 
We are Slotus!

Movin right along, Sir! Looks good, and feels solid...
Well done! Keep after it!
:cheers:

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 11:18 am 

nick47 wrote:
Latest photos. This is getting more encouraging all the time. I'm also learning a lot about welding, including things like replacing the little copper tip when the wire stops coming out. Not something they taught us in class. Tacking is fun, but every tube takes a lot of setup now, especially if it doesn't quite fit and has to be sanded down. I'm looking forward to the day when there are no more tubes to add and I can weld all the joints. That'll be fun. The frame is very sturdy now, it should be rock solid after welding.

PostPosted: April 28, 2012, 1:57 am 

The frame has gone together pretty fast. That may have something to do with the fact that I've spent just about every waking hour on it, apart from my actual day job. I still have to figure out how I'm going to bend that 3/4" DOM tubing, but if I can do that, I think I can finish this thing tomorrow, or Sunday at the latest. Well, not actually finish, but you know, start welding things on.

The tunnel is shaped to fit a late-model MGB gearbox, which is big enough for a truck. The mock-up frame was invaluable for getting the dimensions right. The turret on the transmission is offset to the left, so I had to start widening the tunnel early. Tubing is 1" x 1/2" instead of the usual 3/4" square, same weight and strength but a little more room in the seating area.

PostPosted: April 28, 2012, 7:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Nick-
Wow, that came together fast! The frame looks good, too. I remember looking at my welded up frame and thinking, "I'm almost done!" *Annoying Buzzer Sound* Wrong! :mrgreen: But you know that...

Still, great progress, it's coming along really well. I understand the use of the rectangular tubing, gives a bit more room for the seats. I almost went the same way on the frame material for mine, but changed to square before I bought anything. Just seemed simpler to fabricate with square. Mind you, I was thinking the whole frame, not just the cockpit area.

That MGB tranny is a big lump, isn't it? Great box though, you can't kill them. I kept mine lubed with Red Line MTL instead of the recommended 30 wt non-detergent oil and then abused the hell out of it on various parking lots, race-tracks and mountain roads with absolutely no gearbox problems. In a car as light as a Locost, it should run forever. :cheers:

Any-hoo, it's coming along, you're doing great! Keep us posted-
:cheers:
JD Kemp

PostPosted: April 28, 2012, 9:10 am 

Nick, I have to ask: do your days have more hours than the rest of ours? You're making killer progress, man. Congrats!

PostPosted: April 28, 2012, 10:10 am 

I'll have to echo what everyone else has said, excellent progress.

The idea of using the 1 x 1/2 RHS for the tunnel was smart too. These small dimensions add up because that cockpit is pretty darn cozy.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 43  Next