LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 4:06 pm 

I wish I had a Locost that could run over me. Oh well, maybe in a few months. I really like those seats, but on ebay it says they're 17-1/4" wide. I asked the seller if they could make a narrower set but haven't heard back yet.

PostPosted: April 12, 2012, 11:21 am 

nick47 wrote:
I wish I had a Locost that could run over me. Oh well, maybe in a few months. I really like those seats, but on ebay it says they're 17-1/4" wide. I asked the seller if they could make a narrower set but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for noticing the width issue!. Saved me some shipping costs going back and forth.

JDD

Post subject: bridgeport mill
PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 10:54 am 

The mill comes home on Friday. I built a huge cast Iron dolley to roll it into the shop. Now all I have to do is keep it from crashing through two floors to the basement below! My wife says, "what are you going to do with it?" That would be a stupid question, except I'm not sure myself. But when a free mill comes your way you take it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: bridgeport mill
PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 10:55 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

prepare to spend $$$$ on tooling...

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 11:37 am 

Wow, cool. My dad had one of those. I always found lots of uses for it, when he wasn't around.

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 1:49 pm 

Nice score....You'll find that you use it for alot of stuff, especially once you learn it's capabilities (if you don't know already)

I've got 2 in my garage, a variable speed 2J head, and a much older (and smaller) M-Head (old round ram style) which I need to send to a new home.

Anyway, the "good" machine is in a custom base that has 6" casters on it and leveling feet to park it. I'll see about posting a pic when I get home. Allows me to move it anywhere I want when I need to, and it stays put when desired.

Just a word of warning: Once you get it up and running, make sure you know the difference between conventional and climb cutting. Bridgeports don't usually like climb cutting unless you're taking real light cuts, because they all tend to have some slop in them (I think mine has about .030" in X and Y). Oh, and make sure the vise it good and tight, don't need "Tiger Stripes" on your parts....

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 3:13 pm 

At least it comes with a good vise. I'll be trolling Craigslist for other stuff.

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 3:30 pm 

Just like my Bridgeport only a little older. I moved mine very easily using my pallet jack. Using a large pry bar and pieces of 1x2 stripping, I raised it up the required 3" so the pallet jack would slide underneath it; jacked it all the way up and then made some leveling feet out of 1/2" all thread and some large round washers with a rubber surface on one side.

On a side note, almost everything in my shop is either on wheels or can be picked up with my pallet jack, makes getting tools out for use or shop cleaning, and putting them back a breeze. Even my 4'X10' steel assembly bench can be picked up and moved easily with the pallet jack. Best tool I ever bought.

EDIT: And as far as tooling goes, keep an eye on Craigslist; there are old machinists shutting down their home shop all the time on there. I had a neighbor that needed me to turn down a gun barrel for him. When he saw my mill he said, "hey, I got a whole box full of these little tiny triangles of carbide and unobtanium, you want 'em?" I now have enough milling insert to last me 100 years!

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 4:24 pm 

Another source for tooling: ENCO (use-enco.com).

Most of their stuff is import (not all) and prices are usually very good. Get on their email and mailing list. I get emails from them every 2 or 3 weeks with a 10%, 15%, 20%, or free shipping offer, sometimes even a combo (Last one was 15% off and free shipping for orders over $99). Not a bad deal.....

Craigslist can certainly reward you with some good stuff for cheap. Finding it amongst the crap is the trick.

FWIW, dull end mills aren't worth squat. They're too difficult to resharpen for the average guy (it's not like resharpening a drill bit, you've got to resharpen the end and the body) and having them resharpened by a pro with the right equipment isn't cheap (usually is only cost effective on mills over 1" diameter, which you won't often be swinging in a BPort). And even then you end up with undersize end mills, which can screw you up (OOPs, it's not a 1/2" end mill, it's actually a .485" mill, which is why that pocket is .030" undersize).

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 4:47 pm 

get a collet set (if it doesnt have one). It takes R8s. Some sets come with a collet rack to mount on the side of the machine. Also a jacobs chuck and a boring head are good to have. I just put a DRO (digital read out) which tells the position of the table digitally, rather than counting marks on the dial, and compensating for backlash. I bought an import 2 axis DRO off of EBAY for under $400 shipped. It also interpolates circles (ie bolt circles) which is a nice feature. Parallels are nice for setting stuff up in the vise. I also have a digital angle finder which is useful for many other things too.

The table is lubed with WAY OIL(its like honey). Even though there are "grease fittings" dont grease it. The spindle uses "spindle oil" (believe it or not). Both way and spindle oil can be purchased from ENCO. The spindle needs to be oiled every time you use the machine. If you want to swing down to my shop in CT sometime, ill show you the basics and give you a few endmills to play with. My zip is 06379. I might have an extra chuck and a few collets too (not sure if i already gave them away) I also have several gallons of way oil...i can part with a pint or quart.
I not only mill and drill with mine, but i also use it as a tubing notcher. Its a tossup between my TIG and my B'port as my favorite machine.
Also, I would take it off the dolly and level it. They dont need to be leveled, but gravity/ the earth make a nice, repeatable reference.

Sean

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 9:09 pm 

Here's a pic of the base I built for mine. With mine being a variable speed machine (which is a smidge taller than a step pulley machine) I needed to keep it close to the floor or I wouldn't be able to reach the drawbar.....Probably could have built it out of lighter angle but the 6" x 6" x 3/4" I used was available at fire sale prices. Certainly is a stout little mobile base, but it needs to be to safely roll 2000lbs around (that's what a typical Dovetail Ram Bridgeport weighs, older M-head machines are 300 to 400 lbs lighter).

JustDreamin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 20, 2012, 10:19 pm 

So, did your big chunk of iron make it to it's new home at your house?

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 21, 2012, 7:16 pm 

Unless you have a really flat floor I wouldn't mess with the wheels the thing will likely move around if you crank it up. I have moved many BPs and for me the easiest way is a big pinch bar and some 1/2" pipe. It is a piece of cake and I only weigh 145 lbs. For advice there are a bunch of forums that do for the old tools community what this site does for locost. When looking for tools don't forget the state auction sites. I scored a J head for my BP for a little more than the cost of shipping from Oregon.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 8:28 am 

1. Truck: $280.00

2. Rol A Lifts $66.00

3. 3 Phase Converter $370.00

4. Bridgeport in my shop: Priceless

I also built myself a welding table now that the frame is done.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 8:36 am 

Thanks for your kind offer! I may head your way at some point. WHen I got to the BP the vise had "disappeared" Ah well, there was a complete collet set and rack. I have a chuck from my Lathe. Step one is to get my phase converter here. Step two is to get a vise. Step three is to check the mill to see if the table is running square. I found these great youtube videos by a guy named Tubal Cane. He runs through the basics of working a bridgeport. I last used one in 1973 to make notches in roll cage tubing. I've got a lot to learn.

Sean in CT wrote:
get a collet set (if it doesnt have one). It takes R8s. Some sets come with a collet rack to mount on the side of the machine. Also a jacobs chuck and a boring head are good to have. I just put a DRO (digital read out) which tells the position of the table digitally, rather than counting marks on the dial, and compensating for backlash. I bought an import 2 axis DRO off of EBAY for under $400 shipped. It also interpolates circles (ie bolt circles) which is a nice feature. Parallels are nice for setting stuff up in the vise. I also have a digital angle finder which is useful for many other things too.

The table is lubed with WAY OIL(its like honey). Even though there are "grease fittings" dont grease it. The spindle uses "spindle oil" (believe it or not). Both way and spindle oil can be purchased from ENCO. The spindle needs to be oiled every time you use the machine. If you want to swing down to my shop in CT sometime, ill show you the basics and give you a few endmills to play with. My zip is 06379. I might have an extra chuck and a few collets too (not sure if i already gave them away) I also have several gallons of way oil...i can part with a pint or quart.
I not only mill and drill with mine, but i also use it as a tubing notcher. Its a tossup between my TIG and my B'port as my favorite machine.
Also, I would take it off the dolly and level it. They dont need to be leveled, but gravity/ the earth make a nice, repeatable reference.

Sean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next