LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 3:04 pm 

I raced bicycles for 8 years and probably ridden about 200,000 miles in my life probably more. Only had a few incedents of note. Mostly due to extreme diligence and situational awareness. Use the same care on a motorcycle, don't ride much these day since SC drivers are by a wide margin the most inept and careless I have ever seen. Riding two up is really bad, you have much less control and the passenger wil do the wrong thing most of the time in an emrgency.
Riding two up should be avoided.

Had more close calls here in SC on the bicycle than I care to count. Drivers are given no education and don't realize the rights and signals that cyclists use/have. Been told I need to be on the opposite side three times. Have twice been buzzed on the left when signaling to turn left. Yesterday with my son in the trailer was one. Lady in her G35 on the phone wearing her super dark J- Lo style glasses. This was in a very quiet residential area. I was slowing down and signaling that I was going left and slowing, heard the V6 spooling up, swish goes around me at a good clip.

Effing Moron. Would loved to have pulled her out of the car thrown her phone and glasses in the lake, make her sit down and read the law after smacking the tar out of her.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 11:44 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I'm not sure if that helmet is brilliant (pun intended), just plain cool or something that I'd say "What an idiot!" when I saw it.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 27, 2012, 7:26 am 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
I'm not sure if that helmet is brilliant (pun intended), just plain cool or something that I'd say "What an idiot!" when I saw it.

I'd probably just point and laugh... and be secretly envious. :mrgreen:

I liked my racin' buddy Ted's "Mohawk Helmet" too.
Attachment:
Mohawk Helmet.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 27, 2012, 11:26 pm 

Sometimes you just can't get out of the way. ..

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8639978

PostPosted: April 28, 2012, 4:13 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

rx7locost wrote:
... Did anybody else notice the dad and 3 kids just stop in their tracks, watch it all unwind and then sheepishly change their direction to walk around them? Maybe their reaction would have been different if the language wasn't so colorful.

There was a funny quote on that video, "Grandpa, what's a c*ck-sucker?"

PostPosted: April 29, 2012, 3:31 am 

Reminds me of the time a guy at the Coca-Cola bottling plant backed into my car with a fork lift. He was rearranging pallets of soft drinks and just didn't see me. I shouted, I lost my temper and yelled, "That was very clumsy of you!" but afterward I muttered "You forking Coke stacker," under my breath.

That's Kevin Patrick being so eloquent there. He's the US Exocet importer (remember the Exocet? the long discussion re manufacturing them in the US?) and he and I chat now and then. I've no idea what deal he and Stuart ended up with, but I know Kevin had a kit on order before he got the dealership, so I'd say that was a clear demonstration of interest and I'll bet Stiggy felt the same.

Re protecting one's Locost (or Exocet or other small car) from this sort of damage, yelling "STOP!" real loud before the other guy backs into your car is more effective than yelling "You forking Coke stacker!" after the fact. Also avoiding stealth colors (such as forest green here in the Pacific Northwest, or black anywhere). And recognize that most folks have their rear view mirrors set too high and are likely not to see you, so watch where you park. Oh yes, and if you make a habit of leaving your Locost hood unattended on the ground while checking the oil, somebody will eventually run over it.

PostPosted: April 29, 2012, 8:35 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I was getting fuel in my freshly painted (70-80s 365 gt4 / 512bbi two tone style) 4.3l fiero with the exact same parking arrangement. The suv practically blocked the pump by parking too close to the gas station door. When I saw the suv driver heading back to her vehicle and never even glance at what might be behind her, I walked up to her driver's side door, standing about 3 feet away waiting for her to notice me. When she did it startled her for second, she paused, like a deer in the headlights or someone waking up, then rapidly locked the door. I announced slowly and loudly but not shouting, "DO NOT HIT MY CAR!". She didn't.

As for the exocet, it looks like he just took it off and kept on going, typical of what so many of you guys do when your fender frame fails.

I saw the car at the Mitty yesterday. I took a few good, close pics around the car if any one would like to see them. For those who don't know, the miata front and rear subframe with ppf (alloy C channel joining them) bolt into this exo frame. No stressed tunnel. Basic price is around $6,000 for a very atom-like track car.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 29, 2012, 4:44 pm 

The SUV driver here was lucky. In China it seems that they have other ways of dealing with parking disputes:

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-744542-1-1.html

"Woman kills man by squeezing his testicles over parking dispute"

(WARNING-- this article is written by the same guy who writes all of the instruction manuals for Harbor Freight. Some Engrish translation might be required. G'03)

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.