LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 1:14 pm 

Hey Guys!

I get a ton of these through work and typically they are damaged beyond use, but after getting 3 of them in rapid succession with barely cosmetic damage to them, I thought about it and am thinking about using them as inserts in my hood, a la Bill Bernards build...

Is anyone interested in some of these sections before I toss em?

Here is a pic of them as I get them. The whole panel is about 28x32 for your reference. PM me if interested!

Cheers!

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 2:07 pm 

I would be interested in two or four rows (sections). Are they steel or aluminum? Russ

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 3:00 pm 

OK.. I need to clarify before I disappoint more folks...

These WILL NOT be full sheets. I only gave the size for a reference for the size of the louvers. I have to make them scrap before they walk out, so I was thinking of the upper row.. bottom row and center area as referenced to that picture. If you want the whole side, I could do that too. I added the pic again with some of the "chopping" ideas, but I'm open to suggestions as I won't cut until you request it.

There might be some useable section left over from the side/center if you hammered and welded the edge ones but that would be subject to your intended use. Maybe a side venting or such.

These are stainless steel panels. Plastic side is satin, but the louvers are wrong direction. Inside is polished, but could be "brushed" to limit glare!

Hope this helps explain them a bit more.

Cheers!

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 4:50 pm 

Seems like a great idea. I'd be interested if it wasn't too expensive with shipping and everything. Do you know if the ones you have are the same size as the ones in the yellow car?

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 7:09 pm 

I would take any except 2 or 2. Where do I send beer tokens??? Russ

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 10:26 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Bot-
I'd like a couple of #2s, I think. What's the goin' rate?
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 10:52 pm 

S27sam wrote:
Seems like a great idea. I'd be interested if it wasn't too expensive with shipping and everything. Do you know if the ones you have are the same size as the ones in the yellow car?
Sam,

I'd have to estimate that they are smaller than those by a 1/2" or so, but that's a strict guesstimate! I'll get you an exact size off them tomorrow at work!

KS

PostPosted: May 3, 2012, 9:20 am 

OK...

The sizes:

The vents are each ~2.25 long and across any 2 sets it's ~5.5" wide and each row is ~4.75" long.

The Status:

The current supply of #2s is spoken for as are most of the #1s and 3s, but don't despair!!! I get these regularly enough that if your interested and want some, I'll keep a list and in a 1st come-1st served method, anyone that wants some is welcome to them! Of course, if you happen to have a set of headlights you don't need (or other useful build parts), you get a pass to the front of the line!! :wink: but getting these isn't dependent on that. I just hate the idea of throwing these away when I know of folks that could use them!

I often also get stainless (all the metal I get is stainless) mesh in various types (diamond, square, slots, 5mm holes...), so if you guys can use stuff like that too, let me know and I'll put up what I get.

Cheers!

KS

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 10:30 am 

Morning Guys!

I got the panels cut up yesterday, although I had to resort to more primitive means to part them up.

When I moved, I disassembled the plasma cutter and compressor for ease of move. I cleaned up the garage yesterday and got out the compressor (no small feat!) and PC. Wired in the comp and started on the PC only to find that I didn't pack up the ballast element that I was using with it. Damit!! :BH:

So, drop back 5 and punt, I simply got out the good cutting wheels and went to town, much to the dislike of my neighbors as I was definitely not doing that indoors! The lines are good, with lots of margins around the sections. You shouldn't have any problem getting them to mount up.

So long story short, it took me a bit longer to get them cut than planned so I'll have to pack them up tonight and try to mail them out as I can over the week.

I'll let everyone know the details of their particular shipments when they go out the door!

Hope you like em!

Cheers!

KS

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 4:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Bot-

You da Man! Thanks for doing this!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 5:55 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Bot-

You da Man! Thanks for doing this!

JDK
JD,

Could you talk to my ex?? She seems to think I'm the Devil incarnate and asks the court to remind me as often as possible!!

On the lighter notes... No prob! I bet you guys would do it if you had it, so it's the least I can do for all the incredible support I've taken from this Forum!

Next offering.. Powder Coating!! Gotta get that monster oven converted and I'll be in biz!! Anyone need a block or a set of rims coated?? 8)

Cheers!

KS

Last edited by botbasher on May 7, 2012, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 7:22 pm 

Could you talk to my ex?? She seems to think I'm the Devil incarnate and asks the court to remind me as often as possible!!

KS[/quote]

Yous want me and a couple of da boyz to go over and have a talk with her and change her mind???? Guido

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 7:32 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
botbasher wrote:
KS

Yous want me and a couple of da boyz to go over and have a talk with her and change her mind???? Guido
All I've got is Ramen and metal bits, but your welcome to them for that!!! :twisted:

All I keep thinking is that Karma is a bear and one day.... one day!

Thanks for the offer!

KS

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 7:43 pm 

i told my ex once that things have a way of evening out, and what ever you get, eventually you have to pay for, she said "is that a threat".

six months later her new huband had a football accident and broke his legg and was in a cast for a year,

three years later they divorced.

a year later she lost her house,

five years after that she got cancer,

in 2000, she died!

i have been with my second wife for thirty years on Christmas eve, and never happier, after all, i built a Locost!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 7:52 pm 

Ah... life is good again!!! The Plasma Cutter lives!

The scrap bin fairy is a wonderful person when they grant you your wish in such a timely manor!! I walked out there today and low and behold there was a 10kW tank element sitting right on top! 1 of 3 legs was dead, so it's trash... unless you simply need to dissipate heat... then a 6.6kW element is wonderful!!

Stop by the local HD on the way home to pick up a 5 gal bucket and an hour or so later I fired it up. What an incredible sound... metal being vaporized by a 30,000F jet of plasma!! Oh yes... I am easily amused!!

So I nailed the 3rd panel and mere minutes later... all 3 sections are cut and nary a speck of dust is to be found! I said it before and I'll say it again... I love Plasma Cutters... and I really love my DIY Plasma Cutter!!!

It must seem a bit over the top, but it's really nice to get back to some semblance of the life I had before D-Day. Thanks for bearing with me!

Cheers!

KS

Last edited by botbasher on May 7, 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.