LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 11:05 pm 

Our custom fuel tank, made by one of our sophomores. He laid out the pattern, and folded it up from 16 gauge steel. The oval hole fits the stock Miata fuel pump assembly below. (We obviously need a new strainer.) It's designed to fit low in the rear frame, behind the differential.

Not yet added in this picture are the filler neck and vent fitting - those are on now. It's all TIG welded and holds water with no leaks. We haven't done anything about a tank sealer yet. Any suggestions?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by CCC on May 4, 2012, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 11:11 pm 

This shows how we decided to do the dash and the wiring. One of our seniors is fastening down the ECU brackets. The 3/4" steel tube will get a finished (and rounded) dash bolted on that will match the profile of the firewall. The stock Miata instrument cluster just barely fits between the dash hoop and the steering column mount. The guys wanted to use custom gauges, until they found out how much of our budget they would eat up.

The reverse-mount pedals ended up hitting right at the firewall. We plan to fabricate a sheet metal box to enclose them into the interior side of the firewall. That's not on the list for this month, though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 11:14 pm 

Most mornings look like this. These guys can really work. Here, it's brake lines and wiring. Some days, it's hard to stay ahead of them with ordering parts.

PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 11:20 pm 

Since the pictures above, we've finished wiring and are working on finishing brake and clutch lines, as well as finding a place for the radiator and hoses.
We also got some tie rod extensions (from Jack McCormack) that mean we can finally steer. :D

Unless I'm forgetting something, we're down to fuel lines and exhaust pipe before our shakedown run in the parking lot. The guys say we don't need exhaust, but I'm hoping to keep a lower profile for now.

Almost forgot. Air intake needs to be done as well. I'm sure there's going to be a hundred small things after that.

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 5:54 pm 

This wiring and brake lines pretty much complete.

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 5:56 pm 

The completed fuel tank. It's only 5 gallons, but fits our plan for the car - local driving and autocrossing.

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 2:50 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOuZFrwki5s

Got to drive it today. loved it
Made it run just in time, I graduate on sunday.

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 4:05 pm 

tpark94 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOuZFrwki5s

Got to drive it today. loved it
Made it run just in time, I graduate on sunday.
Congrats!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 4:09 pm 

Congratulations. I was able to take part in some good size projects while I was in high school, and those helped me grow as a problem solver. Taking part in something like building a car before you graduate high school is something most people don't get to experience. 8)

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 6:52 pm 

Outstanding!

to think that a high school student can get the car to the driving stge in less than 1-1/2 years is amazing. It takes a lot of dedication. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

So what happens to the car after Sunday?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 7:39 pm 
We are Slotus!

Well Done, Young'un!!! Very, very cool, and a big accomplishment.
Congratulations!

JD "Wish I Could Drive Mine" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 7:51 pm 

You guys did an great job. This is something you will remember your entire life. Well done.

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 11:56 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Outstanding!

to think that a high school student can get the car to the driving stge in less than 1-1/2 years is amazing. It takes a lot of dedication. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

So what happens to the car after Sunday?

We are extremely proud of achieving our goal
The car will continue to be worked on next year and be used as a learning tool for some of the different classes like the engine mechanics class.
I'm hoping that i will be able to come back in the future once the car is safe enough to do more than a lap in the parking lot and take it to autocross and really see what the car can do. :D Getting to drive it was a great way to end high school.

PostPosted: May 20, 2012, 12:02 am 

Great video, thanks for posting it. Inspiring.

PostPosted: May 25, 2012, 1:50 pm 

heres some pictures i took of the car

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next