LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caroll Shelby RIP
PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 4:18 pm 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/legendary-race-driver-and-shelby-cobra-sports-car-designer-carroll-shelby-dies-at-age-89/2012/05/11/gIQALJBgIU_story.html

Post subject: Re: Caroll Shelby RIP
PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 5:59 pm 
We are Slotus!

Thanks for posting that...

Autoweek's write-up-- http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120511/CARNEWS/120519987?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 6:12 pm 

No worries. I'm heading to the Goodwood Revival in September, and Cobra is the featured marque. Its a shame that he wont be there.

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 7:06 pm 

We have lost a icon!

I remember as a youngster I lived down he street from the Goodyear Tire R&D "Skunkworx" and we'd drive by sometimes and see cars being loaded on monstrous (I was 6) manufacturers trailers. One time we stopped to get a longer look and were invited in to the yard to get a closer look by the gentleman supervising the loading of the cars!

He let us look, poke, point and ask questions about the sleek blue number 98, often getting right down on the ground with us and was genuinely interacting with me and my brother while my dad watched, trying to make sure we weren't being too big a pest. When some time had passed he excused himself as your grandfather would if he needed to get back to the field. I walked away busily chatting with my dad about the amazing racing things we had seen!

It wasn't till years later that I realized that we had spent those few minutes with a legend named Carroll Shelby. I often wish I had know who he was at that time, but I realize that it's special because I didn't and he was the genuine article for us. He would never had known the impact he made on me that day... it's strange how I remember it like it was yesterday.

Although I never had the chance to meet him again, I will miss him, knowing that future generations won't get the chance to know the man I met that sunny day.

RIP Mr. Shelby

Your forever fan,

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 10:00 pm 

Considering his age one kind of expects news like this one day, still a big shock to hear it when it happens.

Al

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 10:43 pm 

I used to live less than 2 miles from Shelby's shop in Venice (Now, Marina Del Rey). Before I got my license in '65, I used to ride my bike down there and drool on the shiny new Cobras as they sat outside waiting to be taken to the dealerships. In '65, Shelby moved his operation to a couple of hangers at LAX where he started building the GT350's. That was about 7 miles from home, but I had my license by then so I could still go down and drool. Even got to meet the man once when he autographed my copy of "The Cobra Story". Wish I still had that book!

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 11:21 pm 

While I take issue with a number of his chosen actions in more recent years, we have very much lost a pioneer and legend who has left an indelible mark on the automotive world and will certainly be remembered for all of the good/great things that he did throughout his life.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 11:35 pm 

a sad loss to the automotive industry

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 12:14 am 
The voice of reason

A long time ago I met a guy at the track who had the hood of his 289 Cobra signed by Caroll Shelby in Magic Marker. If I recall correctly he got him to do that because it was the #2 serial number car?

Funny thing was he thought it was awesome at first then realized after awhile he could never paint the car again. That was maybe 30 years ago and I wonder if he ever painted it. I suppose it's much easier to get a spare hood and set that one aside now.

They were not quite so valuable then yet. I suppose nobody would actually track that car today.

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 6:56 am 

Hope I see my 90th year, I won't be complaining.

I like Shelby for the simple reason he took good old muscle to the Europeans and put them in their place - they even changed the rules because of him.