LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 10:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Dear Smutty, uhhh, I mean... Dear Chuck-
Thank you Sir! I appreciate your approval, and I shall not smite thee... Not today, anyway... :mrgreen:

A mold... The little angel on one shoulder is saying, "He's right, you know. It could save you a lot of work." The little devil on the other shoulder is saying, "Ahhhh, screw that, you don't need a mold." Guess who I usually listen to? (Explains a lot about my life...)

Honestly, it does seem to me that making a mold would be as much work as just making another nose. Which is another thing I could go ahead and do (at least that's what that damn angel said), and be ready for the inevitable shunt with the first one. Same logic applies to the side-pods and fenders. With some creative cardboard cutting for templates, it would be nearly the same as the first one... Nearly... ("Artisan style" Who, ME??? :rofl: )

Or, should I wait long enough to test the first one, and see if I'd even want another one like it??? I'm tempted by that idea, since I already see things I wish I'd done differently on the first nose and pods (adjustable rake on the splitter, for instance), and I haven't found out yet if it's all gonna break and blow off the first time I hit 50mph. This idea appeals to me, since it allows me to move on with getting the car up and running and making improvements all along.

So what I should do then (little angel nods tentatively), is drive the first iteration of bodywork (and car) a bit, decide if I want "spares" or "Mark II" and get to work immediately thereafter. In other words, this project will never actually be "finished", which is really the definition of "race car" anyway! :cheers: Also means I get to hang out in here with all of you Cool Kids longer. That's what I call a "Win-Win" situation! :mrgreen:

Chuck, I appreciate your input, and as always, appreciate you stopping by. You can be the Official Team Slotus "Assistant Shoulder Angel" and remind me to make spares after I get the Slotus running... You may get promoted, iffen I slap that little white-robed bastige into next week...

Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 10:50 am 
We are Slotus!

Pe7e wrote:
You can tell it's a racer's tea cup, 'cause it says "Tune".

Yo Pete!
Good one! :lol: I did a quickie Google for "teacup" to find a pic, and grabbed the first "fru-fru" :roll: one I saw. I didn't notice the writing until after I'd posted it. (I think it actually says "June", but I'm not tellin!)

Thanks for comin' 'round, Sir!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 11:46 am 

Here's a bit more inspiration for that RAF themed paint job :twisted:

And even:

Note the call letters, lol.

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 1:40 pm 

JD,

This picture was from a few pages ago in your build log.

Are those boxer shorts, black socks and bedroom slippers in racecar headquarters? Is that Team Slotus offical dress? Where did your pants go.....no, don't tell me.

Bill

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 3:30 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Are those boxer shorts, black socks and bedroom slippers in racecar headquarters? Is that Team Slotus offical dress? Where did your pants go.....no, don't tell me.

Hi Bill-
I was afraid some sharp-eyed reader would catch that... :) The wardrobe in question belongs to a Mr. Curtis D, father of Chris D (Last names omitted to protect innocent bedroom slippers). Chris used to live in Cairo, was a racin' buddy of James and mine. Chris moved to Texas for work, and James now takes care of Mr. Curtis's car. He had come to get James to do something on his car that day, and was standing with the Slotus while I was taking pictures.

As you have probably guessed, I'm no spring chicken. Chris D is a few years younger than me, but Mr. Curtis is quite a bit older. He's reached the age where he can wear any damned thing he wants to, anywhere he wants to, and he doesn't really care what anybody says! :mrgreen: You gotta love a guy like that, ya know? :mrgreen:

Team Slotus Official dress code... Hmmm... Never thought about it... I'll get back to you on that... :shock:

*Edit* I have a picture of me dressed as Oberon from Midsummer Night's Dream, and was gonna insert it here but I get an error message when I try to upload it. Damn!

Good to hear from you Bill! Come on down for a visit, bring your black socks...
JDK

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 3:47 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I have a picture of me dressed as Oberon from Midsummer Night's Dream, and was gonna insert it here but I get an error message when I try to upload it.

Why am I not surprised? Even this website has standards. :)

Okay, sorry, that was uncalled for. But come on, Oberon?

PostPosted: May 8, 2012, 3:51 pm 
We are Slotus!

nick47 wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
I have a picture of me dressed as Oberon from Midsummer Night's Dream, and was gonna insert it here but I get an error message when I try to upload it.

Why am I not surprised? Even this website has standards. :)

:rofl: GOOD ONE! Ya got me there, Nick! Love it... :cheers:

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 5:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120511/CARNEWS/120519987?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social

Carroll Shelby died. I'm really saddened by this, almost like losing a family member. I wrote him a fan letter when I was about 9 or 10... Best I can remember, that's the only "fan letter" I ever wrote to anybody. He was an American Hero, if ever there was one.

JDK

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 9:51 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
He was an American Hero, if ever there was one.

Indeed he was. I liked this dialog posted by an admiring automotive journalist today who once asked him, "Carroll, of all the cars you've done, which one's your favorite? The Shelby response, "The next one."

I don't think the man ever stopped. He seems to have had projects going right up until he died. He was pretty amazing.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Last edited by Lonnie-S on May 11, 2012, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 9:53 pm 

http://youtu.be/rqQ6LGpiGY4

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 11:53 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
I'm just glad that the Team Slotus dress code at least requires boxers! :shock:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 12:23 am 

I think all of us at team slotus should observe a minutes silence ..then ..a toast ..to Carroll Shelby..may he rest in peace :cheers:

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 6:20 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus fans!
We's doing wiring this weekend. Geeeeeze, what a rat's nest that is... There's like 50 wires that connect to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, I asked James!) just to run the engine. We had to re-arrange the injector wiring harness so it wouldn't be hanging in the slipstream behind the upper intake. James did away with a few circuits that we knew we didn't need, but it's still a pretty thick bundle o'wires.

The task today was to hook up the harness and make sure we had everything we needed for a first start-up. I was in charge of removing dirt-dobber nests from various parts of the intake plumbing, re-installing the fuel cell's innards and generally staying out of James' hair whilst he was reading the wiring diagram. After a few go-rounds with locating various acronyms like the "TPS" and the "IAC" and such, we had it all plugged in, sort of. Looked like this:
Attachment:
5 12 12 Wiring2.jpg
And this:
Attachment:
5 12 12 Wiring3.jpg

What a mess!!! I'm gonna have to cut about 2 feet out of every wire in the en-tire (pause between syllables, we's down South, y'all) bundle and splice 'em back together. That oughta be fun... I can hardly wait...

So, that's the news from Team Slotus! Well, most of it, anyway. I'll get back to you with the rest as soon as the Team Slotus video recording expert wakes up from her nap.

Tune in next week when we might hear Bubba say, "Ah kin splahse wahrs!"
Peace, Love and Butt Splices-
JD Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 6:36 pm 
We are Slotus!

Marcus said--
Quote:
How much width is there in the footwell? I'm sort of wondering how small it can get and still work well.
Attachment:
4 28 12 Dash Board.jpg

Yo, Marcus!
I took some measurements today, in between ogling the wiring harness... At the opening to the footbox, where the green 1-inch vertical tube is, the width is 18.5 inches from the inside of the frame rail to the vertical. At the "step" you can see just forward of there, it goes to 14.5 or so and then tapers down to 11.5 at the pedals. That's pretty tight, and has no place to put your left foot for long periods, but then, it's a race car, probably won't be long periods where I'm not doin' something with that left foot. For a street car, I think you'd have to have a smidgen more on the left.
JDK

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 7:51 pm 

JD,

You are a true optimist. Just one instrument on your dashboard and it's the tachometer. Well, that's the important part, right? No point in having those gauges or silly, blinky lights that tell you annoying things and just make you worry a lot. :lol:

Also, you (or James, or both) probably know all this, but there are add-on boards and software that allow you to modify and tune the PCM depending on which year, version and model of it you have. I am NOT an expert, but collected some websites where such people communicate and some other stuff. It turns out your version (mine is an EEC-V) and your code page (biggest printing on white label on the gray systems bus connector, mine = H4M3) determine what can be done with the software or hardware.

It is just a specialized Intel computer inside, which you probably know too. You can piggy back things onto it and change all or part of the code page. That way you can get rid of, or increase, annoying things like the rev limiter if it's present, which it may well be.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 316  Next