LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 11:14 pm 

Thanks Mark. I am legal and street ready (except for the temporary upgrade work.)

I was there last year with the Locost. It turned out to be quite dramatic. Let's just say I was welcomed by many but a couple of people were not in agreement that I or the car should be allowed in at all. One in particular was actually verbally outspoken and demanded that I either leave or take my car to some other marque area. I stood my ground and took his abuse with a smile. I told him politely that if he felt that strongly about it, he should contact the show's organizers and have them reassign me. It turns out that he was part of the organizing committee for the BCU. Nothing really came of it for the rest of the day. I'll have to think about whether I subject myself or my wife to that kind of verbal abuse this year. Now if two or more of us show up....... there is strength in numbers.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 11:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
One in particular was actually verbally outspoken and demanded that I either leave or take my car to some other marque area. I stood my ground and took his abuse with a smile. I told him politely that if he felt that strongly about it, he should contact the show's organizers and have them reassign me. It turns out that he was part of the organizing committee for the BCU. Nothing really came of it for the rest of the day. I'll have to think about whether I subject myself or my wife to that kind of verbal abuse this year. Now if two or more of us show up....... there is strength in numbers.

Yo, Chuck-
Ya want I should go with ya this year, and whilst you are a gentleman and take his abuse with a smile, I can knock his arrogant ass out cold with that gas tank you took out of your car? There's always one guy that ruins it for the rest of the group... Sigh...

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 11, 2012, 6:10 pm 

Quote:
I can knock his arrogant ass out cold with that gas tank you took out of your car?

I appreciate your support. More than you'll ever know. I don't think it will come to that. Besides, I sold the tank. :cheers:

I have finished the initial mods to the pump assembly. I had to reposition the drop lines to a 17 degree angle. I also had to rotate the level sender 90 degrees. All this because I chose to place it in that small little corner. The photo shows where I plan to place the baffles. the one nearest the pump assy needs to be that far away to clear the float. So I placed the other baffle symetrically.

Before I go and do something stupid, (like this will prevent me) does anybody see anything I am missing on this design? Remember, it is a street car and I want to get a good mix of oil/gas for the rotary, so I need some sloshing about. The fill tube will enter the top piece in the RH corner, opposite the fuel pump assy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 11:59 am 
Always Moore!

How will the fuel get from the sides of the baffles to the center?

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 12:12 pm 

a.moore wrote:
How will the fuel get from the sides of the baffles to the center?

I see little triangles cut out on the front (left) lower edge of the baffles, both on the "top" level as well as the "bottom" level.....

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 12:19 pm 

Yeah. I have 3/4 x 3/4 inch chamfers in 3 corners of both baffles. In the nearest baffle, I added 5 5/8" dia holes to get a better oil/gas mix on fillup. I welded the baffles in this morning so too late to change directions now. :)

I now have enough time spent on this tank that I have decided that coating would be a good idea. Stilla b it hesitant though. I'd hate to see the coating peel off. I have read a lot of good things about Damon Red Kote (Northern is supposed to be the same with a different dye color). A lot of radiator shops use it. Does anybody have personal experience with it? I'm thinking that, since I am starting with fresh metal, that the only real prep I should have to do is the phosphoric etch. Comments?

PostPosted: May 14, 2012, 7:37 am 

So no replies on Red Kote?

I was concerned about using it on clean metal. I have heard about POR15 not performing well on new metal so I questioned the Mfgr, Damon Industires just to be sure.

Quote:
I have built a new gas tank out of hot rolled steel. The inside is fresh and clean except for a few areas of MIG welding for the baffles. Is Red Kote suited for use in a new tank to prevent future rusting? If so, what steps are necessary to prep the new steel? Does the metal need to be etched with phosphoric acid first or do I just follow the degreasing and coating process as mentioned on your site?

I have read on some websites that your Northern fuel tank liner is the same product with a different color. Is this true? If not, then which product is best suited for my application?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I got a reply on Sunday night from Amy Damon non the less.

Quote:
Hi Chuck,

Perfectly suited for it. Don't use the phosphoric acid. Just degrease, dry and coat. Red-Kote and Northern are the same except for the color.

Have a great day!

Amy Damon

Damon Industries, Inc.

adamon@damonq.com

So it looks like the process is just degrease it, dry it out real well, coat it and let it dry. Couldn't be simpler than that.

PostPosted: May 26, 2012, 2:54 pm 

I can't believe that the Gathering is less than 2 weeks away. There is a lot left on my punch-list. I've started way too many projects at once on the car, and my other life, that it won't be all done by then. Hopefully, Ill have the car running again before the end of the holiday weekend. The car has not run since last fall when the weather got bad. I've got a Locost Jones!

I ordered the Red Kote and received it post haste. The coating process could not have gone better. I pre-coated the baffles, their welds and most of the welded seams with a brush before welding the top sheet in place. Then I welded the filler tube in place. To coat the interior, I poured the qt can of Red Kote into the tank and slowly rotated the tank into all of it's various positions. The Red Kote has the consistency of between Maple syrup and molasses. It takes time to flow onto each surface. I waited 15-30 seconds in each face of the tank. Then, I set up the tank to drain the excess. To prevent cloging the baffle chamfers, I drained it out the top vent bung. Nothing really came out at first. I thought nothing was going to come out. But by the next morning when I went to check it, about 25% of the Red Kote had drained back into the original can. It just takes time! The can was then capped and it is good for future use. It is a solvent based product so future setup (like POR) will not occur.

Attachment:
baffles.JPG
Attachment:
interior.JPG
Attachment:
painted tank.JPG

I finally got around to re-making the muffler hanger. It now will be virtually impossible to come off unless something breaks.

Attachment:
hanger.JPG

A few more items to handle yet today and the tank and hanger go back on the car tomorrow. I'll be ready to start her up for the first time this year.

Did I mention that it is supposed to be in the high 90's and humid tomorrow? :ack:

More to follow!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rx7locost on May 27, 2012, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 10:24 am 

It probably sounds funny to many Locosters, but I really like your hanger bracket for the muffler. It looks very professional. You've got nice radii on all the pieces and corners and very neat, solid welds, etc. It takes an investment in time to do those things, especially with small parts where you might be tempted to cut corners, but it makes a big difference in how one perceives a vehicle.

Based on observing race teams for a long time, I think that level of planning and attention to detail also translates into mechanical success and much better reliability in service too. Good job!

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 5:55 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
It probably sounds funny to many Locosters, but I really like your hanger bracket for the muffler. It looks very professional. You've got nice radii on all the pieces and corners and very neat, solid welds, etc. It takes an investment in time to do those things, especially with small parts where you might be tempted to cut corners, but it makes a big difference in how one perceives a vehicle.

Based on observing race teams for a long time, I think that level of planning and attention to detail also translates into mechanical success and much better reliability in service too. Good job!

Cheers,

+1 +1. Very true

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 6:01 pm 

Perfect timing for me. I've just been looking at exhaust brackets as I have just finished my pipe and muffler. Glad you posted that. Thanks.

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 8:42 pm 

I don't know what to say. I am humbled that you guys think something as simple as a muffler hanger is a sign of some, I don't know, fine craftsmanship or great design? I do obsess! I try to take on the whole project as "What would I want to work on?" I try to plan 3,4 or 5 steps ahead, and build it as such. A little extra work out front is well worth it in the end. Usually, the little extra work makes the fab time 2x and more. So be it. I have worked on many things over my career and really hat to cut myself on sharp edges. Everything in my build gets deburred and corners get rounded, some more than others.

Moving forward, and a few steps backwards. I polished the rear panel of the car. Looks better in the photo than in real life but I'll accept it as it is. That effort required the steps backwards, all the lights and the rear fenders had to come off for the polishing. I also got the tank installed, relocated my fuel pump speed relay/resistor and the vent/rollover check valve, along with some yard plantings. Yeah, things other than Locost have to get done. It got up to 99 deg today! Whew!!! I really wish things, and by that I mean "I" moved quicker.

More to report soon.

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 10:28 pm 

Chuck, nice work on the tank!!

I was just back to looking at my car, and running the gas lines. Its been forever since I had the actual RX-7, and looking at the manuals...I'm a bit confused with some of the gas hoses they show in the schematic. I was going to simplify it, not use the charcoal filter and just running green/yellow/blue lines. Am I missing something?

BTW - Have you ever considered coming out to Hawaii to help another RX7 guy on his build?! :)

-n

My RX-7 Locost Build:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7458

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 10:48 pm 

Now Chuck, don't that polished aluminum just look sweet? Great build!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 28, 2012, 8:21 am 

Quote:
I was going to simplify it, not use the charcoal filter and just running green/yellow/blue lines. Am I missing something?

If you don't have any emmission visual inspections, you can eliminate the charcoal filter and it's lines. you will have to add some sort of vent in the tank. The fuel line typically runs up to the fuel inj rail where there is a regulator. Then there is the return fuel line to the tank which you must use too. so you need 3 port in the tank. 1) fuel outlet 2) fuel return and 3) vent no to mention the big hole for refuelling :D

Send me a couple round trip tickets, provide room and board for me and my wife and I'm sure we can get you up and running in, ohhh, a year or two :cheers:

Quote:
Now Chuck, don't that polished aluminum just look sweet?

Sure does. Thanks for the inspiration Perry!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 53  Next