LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: May 28, 2012, 10:25 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
The fuel line typically runs up to the fuel inj rail where there is a regulator. Then there is the return fuel line to the tank which you must use too.

Yo, Chuck-
Isn't the regulator on the return side, i.e. in-line after the injector rail? I'm not studied up on them-thar rotary things, but that's how most piston engines do it...

Pssst, Natec- I might be available...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 28, 2012, 8:00 pm 

Yep JD, you are right. I didn't mean to imply it was on the input side of the fuel rail but I see where it could be read that way.

BTW, what are you doin' trying to take my vacatio,,,, I mean, my Hawaiian gig :boxing:

So for the first time this year, my car is running again. The PC bttery easily turned over the car and it started up right away. The new fuel tank doesn't leak if you rememeber to tighten the drain plug. :oops: I only had 2-1/2 gallons in it so far, but I'll take small successes. Still too much to do in the next 10 days.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 28, 2012, 10:08 pm 

Thats gotta be great to have it running again, take some new pics when you're out on the road!

Thanks for the clarification, the tank I bought just has the filler and an outlet at bottom, I guess I'll need to add a threaded bung on it for the return. Never thought about it when I bought it.

I'm actually been thinking a lot about seeing if anyone would want to fly out and help, haven't found any other locoster here in Hawaii. Maybe I need to ask around again.

My RX-7 Locost Build:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7458

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 9:42 am 

Nate, I just went to your site to see how you were coming along. I don't see any updates since 2009. Any progress since then? It looks like you are well on your way to having a driver. Shouldn't take much to get it moving under it's own power. If you need any inspiration, you can fly here to review my car. Or I can try and talk you thru any stumbling blocks you are facing. It is a shame to see the project stall since you have so much blood sweat and tears ( I feel like a song is coming up) already invested. Do you have a punch-list of things that are necessary to get it to the driving stage? Plan on spending 10 minutes each night with the car or some related part. That is all it takes to get things moving. Even if that 10 minutes is just staring at the car, it helps stimulate the braincells and get the juices moving. Somedays that is all you will spend, other days, that 10 minutes will turn into 30 minutes or an hour or two. If you average 20 minutes per night, 30 days of 20 minutes each day is 10 hours. It is the equivalent of a day + of work per month. or 3 solid weeks per year. If you average more than 20 minutes..... you get the rest.

BTW, if your fuel cap is vented, that will eliminate the need for one of the ports. It looks like your tank may have a vented cap. Does it have a drain?

Aloha,
Chuck

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 10:23 am 

natec wrote:
I'm actually been thinking a lot about seeing if anyone would want to fly out and help, haven't found any other locoster here in Hawaii. Maybe I need to ask around again.
There are no hits on the Locost Builders Map in Hawaii from anyone... including you! :wink: :wink:

I'll have to see if I can get a unit to have issues in HI... come help you out on the company $$!!!

We now return you to your previously scheduled build, already in progress. :P

Cheers!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: June 1, 2012, 12:15 am 

I have done some work on the car since then, but not that much...and no posts about it. I do have a punch list of things, but keep hitting stumbling blocks. Perhaps if I send you some emails you wouldn't mind taking a look? I used to do just what you are saying about 10-15min in the shop turning into hours, need to get back to that!!

Oh, and it looks like I need to add myself to the builders map? I think I just searched the whole of the forums for Hawaii...time to get to work. ;)

-n

My RX-7 Locost Build:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7458

PostPosted: June 6, 2012, 4:36 pm 

Well, as usual, I didn't get half the things done I wanted to. I had good intentions. I polished the bonnet and rebuilt the rear deck/lid. I covered it with the the same canvas top material I got for the convertible top (not done :cry:) It looks very sophisticated, even if I do say so myself. I didn't get the doors done. I do have the frame started for one, but ran into some issues with the panelling. I figured rather than rush it, I'd just go without for a while. I also built a box for the boot. (That is trunk for us USA type people). It will hold several qts of oil, some rags, a few basic tools (very few) etc. Got the first oil change done and checked the car over; topped off the tank (still no leaks :wink: ) and installed the luggage rack I built last year. We are ready for the roadtrip to The Gathering in the morning. The weather is supposed to be great. We are meeting Bill (a.k.a. Tailwind) in Dubuque for lunch and then caravan together from there up to Preston. I expect we will arrive between 3:00 and 4:00 ish.

I even got a few tries at the cold start tuning of the engine. Getting better all the time.

Did I mention that I had to rebuild my laptop a couple weeks ago? My Windows system got FU'd, so in order to save what I had, I just purchased a new hard drive and did a fresh install. That was over 2 weeks ago. I'm still getting daily Windows updates from Microsoft trying to get the system up to current configuration. Then there is all the actual programs to load, configure and find the license registrations, not to mention transferring all my user files. It all takes time......I didn't have enough to do it all.

Attachment:
bonnet.JPG
Attachment:
rear deck.JPG
Attachment:
boot.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 7, 2012, 9:34 pm 

Looking very nice, Chuck. And, even your air cleaner is color coordinated. :mrgreen:

I like your trunk (or boot if your prefer) too. You're fortified with essentials like oil, which perversely means you'll probably never need them. You have paid proper homage to the Fates and they will bless you with a pleasant, uneventful ride. Way to go, guy.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 15, 2012, 6:50 pm 

Thanks Lonnie. The trip went well. Over 1,000 miles and no issues at all. I don't use any crankcase oil but do have to premix for the rotary. That is why I carry the extral oil. I use TC-W3 outboard oil.

As for travelling without a top, it was sorely missed, with emphasis on the sorely. Boy that sun was relentless! That is 2 years in a row now with not a cloud to be seen! I talked to Dale at the meet and he showed me the video of a builder in Japan(?) that made a flip-top hard top. It hinged at the rollbar and latched down to the windshield. It had a gas cylinder for easy one-handed lift operation. It looked real easy to enter and exit. I have decided to change directions (again) and go for that functionality. I did not get the web link for it. If anybody knows the link, please share it with me. I'd like to watch it a few more times on something more than a smartphone.

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 2:39 pm 

With the help of some friends, I found the hard top video. It can be seen in action at the beginning and more detail at the end.

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 6:01 pm 

Now, that is interesting. I actually like the look. My own (very tentative) plan was to make/buy a Bikini top and this goes that one better because of increased access. It has a finished look to it with the (chrome?) trim strips on lower edges and almost looks like it was salvaged from an existing car.

Equally interesting, but not as desirable IMHO, are the Dumbo-ear, side screen deflectors. They may work, but good Lord, they must be like having the doors on a Morris Minor. You can stick your arms over the side and that's nice. However, I think I'd rather have the more traditional side curtains, drop top style. In the latter case, you do have more access problems to deal with, so the Dumbo-ear solution has some advantages. Just keep your speed under 55 MPH. :wink:

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 7:06 pm 

This:

Looks alot nice, is more secure, and doesn't cover the filler found on this, a Caterham:

Well done! :cheers:

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 7:09 pm 

The top looks ok...But a locost with a roof is kinda like a motorbike with 2 extra wheels ..it really isnt a motorbike anymore..wanna roof buy a regular car that already has one ..sorry guys but just cant get my head around this one..but then again im just really into locost race cars ..so maybe i should keep my big trap shut :shock:

Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 7:43 pm 

Kiwi Dave, from the "racer's perspective" I agree whole heartedly. It is extra weight and will affect the aero (what aero?) of the sevenish cars. But from a highway cruiser point of view, and from one with a history of Basal Cell Carcinoma, the sun-top is high on my priority. Even if you don't have a history of skin cancer, if you can prevent the direct sun's rays for hours on end, you are better off for it. But I'll save that discussion for another forum.

Thanks for the props Trochu. I'd sell the idea to Caterham if I thought my design was original, or I thought they'd actually pay me for my ideas. It is released ver1.0 after my original beta build. If I'm not totally happy with it in the long run, the design may become ver1.0 SR1 or maybe even ver2.0. Isn't that what this hobby is about? ;making constant improvements?

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 10:02 pm 

I see where ya coming from with the carcinoma thing mate..and i completely agree..that in certain cases staying out of the sun is a top priority...nasty stuff skin cancer..not to be messed with.. like they say down here slip, slop slap, and wrap,....you cant be to careful
im kinda lovn the idea now that you pointed it out ..i was just blinded by the old rev head syndrome
KiwiDave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 53  Next