LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 25, 2012, 12:31 pm 

I know the answer is yes 'cause I saw one once, I guess I really want to know where to find it again (mine disappeared with a computer during a burglary).

I should be asking this in FAQs but the 'new topic' button on that forum is inactivated.

PostPosted: May 25, 2012, 7:46 pm 

Certainly the frame plans are online in PDF:

http://www.sevenesque.com/files/bookChassis.pdf

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: May 25, 2012, 10:33 pm 

Both the Haynes one and the original can be found on Torrent, though I'm not sure how legal it would be to download them.

PostPosted: May 28, 2012, 6:02 pm 

That would be "not legal"

PostPosted: May 28, 2012, 10:59 pm 

I'll bet Ron C never thought about the rights to the book once it went out of print--which is too bad 'cause publishers used to be quite free with letting the rights revert to the author; in which case Ron Champion could post a pdf and ask for, say, five bucks a copy. Or pounds. Or whatever currency he spends nowadays. But if Haynes owns the copyright, they'll never let it go because it would compete with the book they sell now.

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 4:49 am 

Yes it is.

With all books that you would like to sample before you make the commitment to purchase, you can try typing "ebook" followed with the name of the book into Google and look around. I'm serious about the "sampling" too, I have purchased many a music CD and book that I would not have had I not tried them first.

It is getting harder to find truly free downloads anymore though, I despise sites that try to charge you for items they are obviously offering illegally.

If can't find it any regular member can PM me.

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 8:40 am 

If Ron's book is bringing that much for a copy ($56-$182 used and $174-$440 new on Amazon) it won't be long before the Publisher releases another printing. It happened to me on another car site. One particular book was "the bible" for MGA's and was out of print. Some sellers were actually getting up to 250+ for a nice used hardbound copy. I was just about ready to sell my book when the publisher released a paperback reprint at <$30.00. Overnight my fortunes were lost. :BH:

I sold a 1st revision of Ron's book some years ago for around 50 bucks. I still have my 2nd ed book. Jack, you can still get used Ron's books on eBay for around ~$50 delivered. In the low 60's on Amazon delivered, only around 2x what it would have been originally. Abe Books is higher. But then I thought you might be looking for an undistributed stash for selling on your site.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 10:07 am 

My Ron Champion book (second ed I think, cause it says, "And race it!") was poorly bound, which I discovered when I was photocopying one of the pages. I would love a PDF copy of that one.

I asked Keith Tanner for an online copy of his book too, but as I recall, Keith didn't have too much in the way of plans to do that. Strange, 'cause Keith is an online kinda guy?!?!

Hopefully the online copies of any books can come with DWG files, or even to-scale drawings that we can print out?

G'03

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 10:22 am 

geek49203 wrote:
My Ron Champion book (second ed I think, cause it says, "And race it!") was poorly bound, which I discovered when I was photocopying one of the pages. I would love a PDF copy of that one.

I asked Keith Tanner for an online copy of his book too, but as I recall, Keith didn't have too much in the way of plans to do that. Strange, 'cause Keith is an online kinda guy?!?!

Hopefully the online copies of any books can come with DWG files, or even to-scale drawings that we can print out?

G'03

I think you infringed upon someone's copyright if you copied a page of the book.

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 10:55 am 

photoman wrote:
I think you infringed upon someone's copyright if you copied a page of the book.

Fair Use.

Legal here in the USA. Has been since I was in high school (at least), when I copied sections of encyclopedias instead of hand-copying the quotes to 3x5 cards, as my English teacher "suggested."

"In 1998, the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act extended the period of copyright protection for an additional 20 years. As part of the Act, Congress provided that during the last 20 years of any term of copyright of a published work, a library or archives may reproduce a copy of the work for purposes of preservation, scholarship, or research provided that: the work was not being distributed commercially; the work cannot be obtained at a reasonable price; or the copyright owner or its agent provides notice that either of the above conditions applies." http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_a ... 7/7-d.html

See also:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 30100.html
http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jun/1/131851.html

Mind you, I do a bit of writing for a news website, and I don't want my photos hijacked (yet again) for for-profit publications w/o at least asking me for my permission. And I've worked for software companies, and we hated pirates there too. However, I can't think of any time that copying a drawing from a "how to build" book would be viable as a copyright court case.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 11:03 am 

geek49203 wrote:

Some of you might like to see the thread I just posted ...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13703

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 9:00 am 

Well, at the very least, it would be nice to have Appendix 1 of the Haynes book in PDF form. And while I'm asking for enhancements, it would be nice for a rough guess on how much 25 mm square tube to buy somewhere in that book?

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: July 29, 2012, 10:29 pm 

looks like keith is on top of it, ebook
http://books.google.com/books/about/How ... 1SyHTHKJIC

I have the haynes books, both the us version and the english version in hardback, 50.00 for the pair and I will throw in a CD of
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locost-Lotus-7- ... re&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: November 3, 2020, 5:59 pm 

Now that the books are out of print... anyone know of a place to get a copy of the PDF?

PostPosted: November 5, 2020, 11:32 am 

I just came across this website with a pretty solid build book with PDF download.

Site:
http://www.mglocost.com/

Build Book PDF:
http://www.mglocost.com/downloads/mglco ... manual.php