LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Build
PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 11:41 am 

cheapracer wrote:
Like I wrote.

"other side" threw me off but i got you now. I will look and see if there will be issues doing it that way.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 11:43 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Use stainless washers that are more noble than the upright, at the nut and the upper spherical washer. Also use wheel bearing grease on the shank and seats (because it is nonconductive) and antiseize grease for the threads.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 12:20 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Use stainless washers that are more noble than the upright, at the nut and the upper spherical washer. Also use wheel bearing grease on the shank and seats (because it is nonconductive) and antiseize grease for the threads.

Maybe i can get some black oxide coated or passivated ones and bypass the grease (i think we have both of them here at the office). If they didn't put that salt stuff into the ice melt here in Colorado, i probably wouldn't even have to worry about it. But i should be replacing the hardware enough (maintenance) that it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 7:41 pm 

Maybe you could add a single bracket on the frame at the rear LCA mount and use a single bolt to hold the toe link &LCA. With the other end of the toe link to the bottom side of your bracket, it looks like it would be nearly parallel with the LCA.

PostPosted: July 9, 2012, 4:04 pm 

I posted this last weekend but it looks like it never showed up so I must have done something wrong.

I got rear suspension box completed with help from a buddy last weekend (thanks a bunch Huff!). It took approx 3 hours to complete mainly due to aligning the angled supports and trying to figure out a way to keep the coped ends aligned. I solved the coping issues my making a center line marking tool and then adding a mark on the tube notcher that lined up with the center line so that when the tube was flipped the copes were in line.

A couple of the angled tubes had to be tacked, taken off and redone a few times to get them right. It seems that the angle gauge will read differently depending on where you place it on the tube. Additionally, tacking the tubes was causing them to twist so the upper tubes wouldn't line up. I don't know how to resolve this. Otherwise everything else went pretty smooth and I can hopefully start on the front suspension box this weekend but that is going to require some templates and grinding to get the notches correct so we will see how it goes.

and my table is too short..

Attachment:
2012-07-05 05.23.00.jpg

Attachment:
2012-07-05 05.22.33.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 9, 2012, 4:41 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I posted this last weekend but it looks like it never showed up so I must have done something wrong.

You started a new thread called "Chassis build" and put them there.

Please find yourself a more descriptive thread title. Threads name "Chassis Build" or worse "New Build" just aren't user friendly on a site with more then 10,000 threads... Thanks.

PostPosted: July 9, 2012, 10:27 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:

You started a new thread called "Chassis build" and put them there.

Please find yourself a more descriptive thread title. Threads name "Chassis Build" or worse "New Build" just aren't user friendly on a site with more then 10,000 threads... Thanks.

If it can be changed to "V-Tec Open Wheel Exo Build" that would be great. I cant figure out a way to do it.

PostPosted: July 9, 2012, 11:32 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Much more descriptive now.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 10, 2012, 7:05 am 
We are Slotus!

Oh, is that what you're building???
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 10, 2012, 8:51 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Oh, is that what you're building???
:cheers:

Funny and yes. To be more descriptive.... open wheel At-omish design with a B20V-Tec with an additional b16 turbo (alternate engine) MR2.

I love you guys and i will be better at more descriptive headings. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 10, 2012, 10:53 am 

mjalaly wrote:
with a B20V-Tec with an additional b16 turbo (alternate engine) MR2.

The header was clear and then I read this and I'm confused again.

PostPosted: July 10, 2012, 8:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
mjalaly wrote:
with a B20V-Tec with an additional b16 turbo (alternate engine) MR2.

The header was clear and then I read this and I'm confused again.

He's obviously building one of these-
Attachment:
Bimotore.jpg
And check out the shoes the guy behind the car is wearing!!! Those Italians have style, don't they? :mrgreen:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 12:48 pm 

That's only a single seater and I don't have shoes that cool :(

PostPosted: August 3, 2012, 11:49 am 

So here is what got done yesterday. The 4 double angle tubes were really really hard to fit up but it is done.

Attachment:
2012-08-02 22.29.54.jpg

Attachment:
2012-08-02 22.30.06.jpg

I used Kiki's method on these since I could not figure out a way to cope them with a chop saw or a hole saw. It worked out really well and save a lot of time. Just made a flat pattern in SolidWorks, printed it to scale and taped it on.

Attachment:
2012-07-14 09.08.44.jpg

So I am not sure what the next best approach to the chassis should be. I think i need to make the a arm jigs since the bearing housings will be done next week. Add the top two main tubes or fit the engine?? Dunno. Any buddy have a good approach on sequence of fab?

PostPosted: August 9, 2012, 6:43 pm 

Are these steering racks any good for street use? Is the 12:1 ratio quick enough?

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/C42-339/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 80  Next