LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 11:43 pm 

Hey guys I've been lurking around here for quite a while and since I am starting my build, I figured that I should come out of lurk mode. I'm gonna build a book frame locost with hopefully a miata donor. I do have a couple opel 1.9l CIH's laying around now /misc parts but those are gonna be a last resort. I built the build table a couple days ago and just got my steel delivered today ($10 to deliver!), spent most of my time after work organizing everything (i.e. cutting down 24ft. lengths to fit in my storage unit) and getting ready although I did get to cut three tubes! (Although the last one is 1/16th inch undersized, oh well it was getting late, Hooray for extra). Anywho I know how much everybody likes pictures-- Here ya go

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 12:45 am 

Welcome aboard, Andy. Congratulations on taking the plunge.

(I'm Jack McCornack and I approve this topic. Power, that's what I crave, BWAA HA ha ha.]

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 1:16 am 

Hi Andy .... that build table looks great ....i can see you are kinda ..Handy Andy.. :roll: my bad sorry..another miata build man there must be a surplus of cheap miata's over there in the states ?

Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 3:04 am 

Welcome.

Always cut your big tubes first - that way your mistakes can be used for your shorter tubes.

You'll find all your missed welds after it's painted.

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 11:48 am 

Welcome, and you're right, we do like pictures. Don't worry about a few tubes coming up short, you'll find a use for them down the road.

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 1:00 pm 

I think you have the same saw that I used for my build. If it has a plastic scoop too direct the sawdust you may want to make up a metal one, the hot filings blasted through mine in the first couple of cuts. Welcome to the group! David

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 1:11 pm 

That table looks awesome. No, wait, you're awesome. Anyway, welcome. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 2:08 pm 

I like the idea of the Opel 1.9. If you have a trans and a rear axle that would make a very different build. Motor can be tuned to 120-130HP pretty easily. Not too heavy but not really lightweight either.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 5:47 pm 

Fantastic, new blood that's what helps keeps this forum going.
I look forward to your build project.

Al

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 10:47 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Andy-
Welcome to the builder's forum! Nice lookin' table ya got there... And building in a storage place... Hmmm, you must be skinnier than some of us... Not calling any names cough-cough-Kiwi Dave-cough-cough... :mrgreen:

If you decide to go with the Opel power plant, how "interesting" is it to get parts? You didn't mention your location, are you in the States or what? (Or not telling... Concerned about industrial spies, are ya?)

Yep, pictures are good, keep 'em coming! Good luck with the build.
:cheers:

JD "Not So Skinny Myself" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 11:00 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I made some pretty good progress today got all of the lower frame bits and the front end assembly cut out, hopefully get those tacked together tomorrow and make some more progress. My cousin stopped by to see what I was doing in the morning and next thing he's cutting tubing for me :).He had to go to work, but he was so intrigued that he said I'll call you at 8 so we can get an early start tomorrow O.o. Next my girlfriend came up to help and we really made a lot of progress. I don't think I'll be lacking in the motivation or help on this project.
To answer some questions, yeah miata's are pretty plentiful over here and I think it's a pretty good reliable drivetrain, so that's what I will ideally use. My original plan was to be opel based and I even stripped a Manta of all the good bits, but after thinking about it I will hopefully get a good miata donor for parts availability issues(both for repair and aftermarket support) and ease of using an established platform. As for my location I'm in cincinnati OH, USA I thought it would show that.... well I'll fix it. Thanks again for all your guys support already, just from the vast knowledge base of the forums, and hopefully I'll be able to add a little something.

P.S. man these things are small! I love it!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 11:35 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Hey, Andy! I'm down the road in Lexington. Swing by some time and we'll go for a spin.

Very ambitious building in a storage unit? Do they actually allow that? Keep it tidy...you'll be fine.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: July 15, 2012, 7:21 pm 

Thanks for the offer Dave! I'd love to actually see a 7 in in real life! As to building in a storage unit, it's allowed because I am managing the business (we also rent tools so I have access to some stuff like the generator I am using) ;). But I don't think most storage places would have a problem as long as others dont complain and you don't leave a mess outside.
We made some good progress today, got the lower frame rails and h's tacked up, everything is square but one of the F tubes is 2mm to long so got to grind her off a little bit. Man that front end assembly was a pain to get all lined up and tacked(possibly cause I spent a half hour with tube LC upside down wondering what went wrong haha)

PostPosted: July 25, 2012, 11:33 pm 

Been making some real progress, got most of the frame as seen here welded up, and got a donor 94 miata which ran good and had been in a couple wrecks. To break up the monotony of weld-grind me and my girlfriend decided to start stripping the donor, thats alot more fun. Here are some pictures.

1. Also I have a couple questions is it ok to leave the small angles unwelded? I can't really get the tip in there good enough to weld it(i.e. like the diagonal running to the rear bulkhead)

2. Also I am thinking about doing a full aluminum floor front to back, even under the engine. Any body have any reason why I shouldn't mount the engine flush with the bottom of the frame and lower the frame? I know it will be a little bit tall for the hood but I'm not afraid of hood bulges/ an unconventional body. I might change my own mind when I get the engine out and set in in the frame...

3. when I go to mount the engine I'm thinking about making mounts out of solid steel, I'm aware of the vibration issues but think it wont be too bad, are solid metal mounts significantly worse than hard rubber (hockey puck type) mounts?

4. Finally, I am thinking about a 3-4 inch ride height and wanted thoughts on this. it seems like most on here with street cars set up for about 5 inches, but their oil pans hang down an inch or more making an effective ride height of 3-4 inches. Is there something I'm missing here? The car will be driven on regular roads but I plan on taking it to the track as well and I am pretty tolerant when it comes to performance cars.

PostPosted: July 26, 2012, 12:16 am 

Hey Andy

Looks like you're off to a great start! Before you get along too far on the frame, I'd like to point out one thing about your last pic....looks like you built the frame upside down, it should be right side up but thats only my humble opinion :lol:

Welcome aboard, I look forward to following yor build!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle