LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ZETEC TUNNEL SECTION
PostPosted: February 27, 2007, 2:31 pm 
Databases fear me

Hi there everyone, as you may have noticed in the builders log section, i'm moving along in my build.

Right now to get my chassis to the point where I can start on the rear suspension pickups, I need to get the tunnel built, but I haven't picked up my engine, tranny, or bellhouse yet (bellhouse is a cosworth unit to connect the cossie engine, same bellhouse pattern as zetec, and a type 5 and it even has proper provision for a clutch.)

so what I need is the dimentions of the tunnel for such a setup as this. I know there are a few of you out there running this setup (different bellhousing perhaps) And I'm hoping you'll be able to help me.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1, 2007, 12:10 am 
Databases fear me

please

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1, 2007, 1:09 am 
FWIW you should realy wait to build the tunnel till you have the eng & trans in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1, 2007, 1:21 am 
Databases fear me

didn't i read in the somewhere that the ras tunnel was't that critical for chassis stiffness,
I'm thinking i may just weld in the floor for the time beingand build the tunnel later once i have the running gear in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1, 2007, 1:48 am 
In the construction mode I can't see that the tunnel would be that needed to full weld the frame so you can start on the suspension. I would wait to do the floor untill you can construct the tunnel since one side of the tubing would be difficult at best to weld with the floor in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1, 2007, 10:32 am 

I'd weld the tunnel in after fitting the engine. I thought I was going to be crafty and move the engine, tranny and tunnel over to the pass side for better weight distribution. Once finished I bolted everything together and found that I lack about 1/2" of hood clearance on the passenger side. At that point I decided to move it back some but I couldn't do so without ripping out my tunnel and starting again. Needless to say I will either be running a hole in my hood, a small scoop, or a bulge now.

I too have read that the tunnel offers little in terms of chassis stiffness. I don't see why you can't save it for last. (in fact I wish I had) IMO if you do put in a floor you may want to just tack it or temporarily rivet it for now, as when it does come time to finish weld your tunnel etc. it's nice to be able to stand the chassis on its side and come at it from the bottom.

You may get some better answers regarding dimensions from the Yahoo NA list. I think I recall a discussion of this topic a year or two ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29, 2007, 10:18 pm 
Databases fear me

chetcpo wrote:
I too have read that the tunnel offers little in terms of chassis stiffness..

the way my IRS is hanging off the back of the chassis makes the tunnel extreemly important.
the loading is transfered more to the tunnel than the outer chassis, I think it would be wise in a case like this to take the chance and overbuild the tunnel.