LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: March 26, 2012, 2:14 pm 

nofreeride wrote:

Please ignore anyone who says this will work. It won't. Even with all of the 'tricks' and special modifications that many say they have done to make this work.

Umm, I have had no problem at all with mine, lovely bends as purchased, totally unmodified and I guarantee it has bent more tube than most ever will in their life times as the guys at the factory are forever loaning it to bend these up ....

Attachment:
DSC_1001.JPG

My post on it is here, halfway down the page...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13284&start=15

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 1:14 pm 

cheapracer wrote:

Umm, I have had no problem at all with mine, lovely bends as purchased, totally unmodified ....

I used 1.5" .095 tubing and tried it three ways:
1. using the closest die size on the pipe bender
2. modifying the die to fit the 1.5" tube better
3. adding a top clamp over the center to keep the tube from kinking

Tube kinked every time.

PostPosted: March 27, 2012, 1:57 pm 

On occasion I've found that slowing down the application of force (it's oh-beer-thirty somewhere!!) has helped. .. or using a torch to soften things up a bit.
I like playing with firesticks. ...... :twisted:

PostPosted: March 28, 2012, 2:03 am 

I posted in the tool section as to not pollute here.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13284&p=139039#p139039

PostPosted: April 2, 2012, 8:53 pm 

Nice work; it looks like a blast to drive.

One piece of constructive criticism however: I'd strongly suggest putting a diagonal bar on the rear roll bar hoop. Something that runs from the upper corner above and behind the driver's head down to the lower corner on the passenger side would be sufficient. As designed, the roll bar doesn't have very much strength in a roll-over.

Otherwise, that's a pretty cool little trike you've built!

PostPosted: April 5, 2012, 1:06 pm 

Part 11: Body and Paint

After the frame was tacked together, I proceeded to cut and mount the FRP body panels. The plan was to have the body inset into the tubing for a partial exoskeletal look. I needed to make tabs to weld to the inside edges of the tubing for the panels to attach to. I used screws to attach the panels as I wanted them to be removable for service and access to items underneath.

The panels are:
hood
2 side panels
front firewall
2 rear firewall panels
3 dash panels
2 upper front side panels
3 rear panels/tank surround
3 piece radiator shroud

All panels are flat except the four side panels are installed with bends in them. These four side panels are also not removable as I ended up doing some body work/filler with these panels in place.

After the body was pre-cut and fitted, I disassembled everything. But not without going for a drive first. That was last spring! It was running and driving almost a year ago. That means I was almost done, right? Well, yes and no. Finish welding, grinding, body and paint, along with final assembly and dozens of other small details all took their toll in time and energy. I also got sidetracked with several other projects.

After finalizing the welding it was time to paint the frame. I finally decided on a black, urethane two stage for the steel, and blue for the body. It turned out pretty good, except the blue was not as dark as I thought it was going to be. It's already got a couple nicks in it, as well as a 4-inch long scratch on the rear deck when my screwdriver slipped. :cry:

I made the front fenders from fiberglass using steel trailer fenders for a mold. These were mounted to the spindles with brackets I fabbed up.

What's left? Registration and Insurance, onboard storage, windshield, reverse, some videos?

Last edited by nofreeride on August 25, 2019, 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 13, 2012, 11:06 am 

Registration and Insurance

When I started the project, I didn't know if the state of Oregon would license it as a 2004 FJR or an assembled motorcycle of the year it was finished. I did know that it would be registered as a motorcycle. I made sure it had all of the equipment required for a motorcycle, including lighting, fenders, mirrors, reflectors, etc. There is an exemption from the helmet law for enclosed motorcycles. There is also an exemption from requiring the motorcycle endorsement on a drivers license. I have a copy of all of these laws in a stack in my glovebox.

It turns out it is registered as a 2012 Assembled motorcycle. The original FJR VIN is clearly visible and that is the VIN of the trike. I had to fill out a certification of any vehicles that were used in construction and all major parts used. They didn't do an equipment inspection and they did not ask to see any receipts.

My insurance company is Progressive and since it has the FJR VIN they are insuring it as a 2004 FJR, with a notation that it is a trike. I have liability only, which makes things easier. The rate is the same as a regular motorcycle.

The other stuff is still in process: windshield and wipers, reverse, and other tweaks here and there. I have a fairly large locking glove box, but I am also working on a rack to store luggage. I will also get some video eventually.

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 5:43 pm 

Well, I have put about 3000 miles on it thus far.

Never did a reverse or windshield wipers, but got a DOT glass windshield put in.

Finally took some video so here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KdsBxaf1SU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by nofreeride on February 17, 2013, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 6:15 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Kewl!

Hey, want to see a video of the paint drying on my barn in anticipation of it's use for to build my trike which will be completed in 3 months (yeah right)?

I think I know the answer to that one.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 10:41 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Kewl!

Hey, want to see a video of the paint drying on my barn in anticipation of it's use for to build my trike which will be completed in 3 months (yeah right)?

I think I know the answer to that one.

Hey, "3 More Months" is my line. I've been saying that for at least a year :-) we should get T-shirts. Nice to see a completed reverse trike on here, tho I'd read this thread before. Mine should join yours in um..."3 More Months"!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: October 18, 2012, 7:01 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I've been saying that for as long as you can remember.

Copying is the sincerest form of flattery. :wink:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 12, 2013, 9:20 pm 

Nice build. Cool to see an RT registered in Oregon. Whereabouts are you located in the state?

PostPosted: April 13, 2013, 8:31 pm 

I am in McMinnville.

Entering the car in the annual "Alien Days" parade next month. I think the ideas is somewhere along the lines of a tin foil wrapping job, and maybe some other "alien-like" decorations.

PostPosted: July 4, 2013, 12:05 pm 

Really cool trike. If I ever had the means and place I'd build a RT it would help heal my loss of motorcycle riding (really bad back and Phoenix is bad enough driving a car let alone a bike, after 15 years of MC riding (In Calif.) I had my first crash here when I got pulled out in front of with nowhere to go, it didn't help my looks any haha). I bet its a honey with that big ole Yammy engine, congrats on a great job. Oh the removable steering wheel is a good idea for theft. Another potential deterrent is what a lot of the Harley guys use (Yeah I was one of them, but liked all bikes not brand loyal), and it would depend on the disk thickness if it would work for you. Its those disc brake locks. The caveat and downside is remembering to take them off the disc before flight. I can't tell you how many laughs I've had watching people roll a foot and then stop dead and drop they're HOG :lol: , they do work though haha. Anyway, excellent job and overview of your project. Cheers!

Regards,

Don

PostPosted: July 4, 2013, 12:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
along the lines of a tin foil wrapping job, and maybe some other "alien-like" decorations.

Don't forget the metal collander helmet! (Standard uniform for Team Slotus...) :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next